Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 grey cells

grey cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2807 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:06 PM

Spoiler for Are the remaining 2 answers

#32 Kay

Kay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:22 PM

_____, Cronus, Zeus, Poseidon, Hades, Aphrodite, _____, _____

Which names are missing?

Spoiler for The three gods are...

#33 andreay

andreay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:30 PM

nice way of thinking B)) , I'm tempted to cheat and use wikipedia if this is still not correct

#34 Kay

Kay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:31 PM

nice way of thinking B)) , I'm tempted to cheat and use wikipedia if this is still not correct

i cheated too, to be honest. I looked up the translations of greek to roman gods on google and found a list. :P

#35 ash013

ash013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:08 PM

Yes,but as I said itachi-san made big mystake.On greek there is no planet called Hades.I think he ment Mars-Aris.Hades is the god of underworld,Aris is the god of the war.Also Jupiter is Dias,but if i remember correct they use Zeus also.That's total mixed up and cofused me a lot.You forgeting the Earth-Gaia.Pluto is not anymore main planet in the Solar system.

#36 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:27 PM

Yes,but as I said itachi-san made big mystake.On greek there is no planet called Hades.I think he ment Mars-Aris.Hades is the god of underworld,Aris is the god of the war.Also Jupiter is Dias,but if i remember correct they use Zeus also.That's total mixed up and cofused me a lot.You forgeting the Earth-Gaia.Pluto is not anymore main planet in the Solar system.

Hades and pluto - romans took from greek
Pluto has been dropped I believe as far as a planet is concerned, subjugated to a comet I think.

still on Gaia or gonna visit me up in the ether?
or shal I come there for a pancake?

Edited by Lost in space, 27 March 2008 - 04:32 PM.

#37 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:12 PM

Nice job everyone B)) I'll throw in a few comments to clarify some things.

1) There is a meaning to the order I picked. They are in Generational order:

Uranus
Cronus
Zeus, Hades, Poseidon, Aphrodite
Ares, Hermes

I chose this order to help (with Uranus) and to confuse (for the last 2)

2) They don't have to represent the Greek versions of the planets. They are actually intended to be the Greek names for the planets. Not only is Pluto Greek, but so is Uranus which doesn't have much of alternative name except for Oraunos (spelled many different ways apparently)

3) I used the original solar system because the current 1 gets too complicated with all the dwarf planets which Pluto is now a part, and what is and what shouldn't be classified as this or that...

4) Also, a case could be made to include Gaia, so I added a hint that said she didn't meet 1 of the criteria. Her Roman counterpart is Terra. There is no Greek God that actually is corresponds to the name Earth

#38 ash013

ash013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:19 PM

Nice job everyone B)) I'll throw in a few comments to clarify some things.

1) There is a meaning to the order I picked. They are in Generational order:

Uranus
Cronus
Zeus, Hades, Poseidon, Aphrodite
Ares, Hermes

I chose this order to help (with Uranus) and to confuse (for the last 2)

2) They don't have to represent the Greek versions of the planets. They are actually intended to be the Greek names for the planets. Not only is Pluto Greek, but so is Uranus which doesn't have much of alternative name except for Oraunos (spelled many different ways apparently)

3) I used the original solar system because the current 1 gets too complicated with all the dwarf planets which Pluto is now a part, and what is and what shouldn't be classified as this or that...

4) Also, a case could be made to include Gaia, so I added a hint that said she didn't meet 1 of the criteria. Her Roman counterpart is Terra. There is no Greek God that actually is corresponds to the name Earth

You better check greek mythology,Gaia is the goddess of the Earth and that's how the greeks call the earth-Gaia.Can you tell me which planet is Hades?

#39 ash013

ash013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:29 PM

Hades and pluto - romans took from greek
Pluto has been dropped I believe as far as a planet is concerned, subjugated to a comet I think.

still on Gaia or gonna visit me up in the ether?
or shal I come there for a pancake?

If you are lost in space I don't know for what ether you talking about,but if you want come to Gaia,but i doubt for the pancake,just because I haven't try one yet,but you can bring something sweet from the outer space!

Edited by ash013, 27 March 2008 - 08:38 PM.

#40 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:30 PM

Here's your answer for Hades: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hades

As for Gaia, perhaps I misspoke or wasn't clear enough. Earth is not directly named after a God. Earth is a modern word derived from many sources. I accounted for this in a hint I posted to clarify this exact question. If you call the Earth Terra, then you are 1 in a million.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users