Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

BRIAN DENNIS: WARM-UP

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Cavenglok

Cavenglok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:58 AM

Hello, Internet. Brian Dennis veterans, welcome back. Newcomers, nice to meet you. A long time ago, I hosted a mystery create-your-own-adventure type of thing called "Brian Dennis." It's back again, and just to see if it'll work out after all this time, I'm doing a warm-up. Here are the rules.

Every one of you are collectively a detective named Brian Dennis in fictional Climax City. You control him by giving me instructions, and I will tell you how your decisions impact the case. You can ask for autopsies, interrogations, whatnot. Your main goal is to quickly catch the criminal. You have an iPhone, a lie detector, a pistol, and his trademark taser. (Seriously, guys, please don't go overkill with the taser)

Please note that there may be violence. All events, locations and people are completely fictional.

11:06 PM, December 25th, 2012

Wellesley Manor

You walk into the rustic hallways of Wellesley Manor.

"Another murder, eh?" you say to Officer Harrison. He's been with you for most of your big cases.

"Yes, sir. Mr. John T. Wellesley. He's the man of the house. His wife saw him on the 2nd floor hallway, sword through his heart. No other bodily damage, so far as we can tell. But the curious thing is, there was a rusty old suit of armor kneeling by his side, holding the sword. The suit itself had no one inside, and there were no fingerprints, or any sign that someone had been inside it at all. It's as if the suit of armor killed Mr. Wellesley."

"Any sign it could have just been carried over?"

"Sure, it could have. But there's no way we can carry on from that, there is evidence inside."

"Suspects?"

"Here's the list, sir."

He hands you a list of names and descriptions. You smile and thank him.

I'll start you off with a few options. You may:

1) Interrogate the suspects.

2) Observe the scene of the crime.

3) Call for an autopsy.

4) Anything else you can think of.

SUSPECTS:

- Mary Wellesley, 65, Mr. Wellesley's wife. The two had an unhappy marriage, but they started great humanitarian programs together. First met Mr. Wellesley by being his secretary. Retired and was trying to convince Mr. Wellesley to retire as well.

- Arthur Green, 53, the butler. He was Mr. Wellesley's most trusted man in the mansion. He knew all of Mr. Wellesley's secrets, and devoted his life to serving him. He's been working for Mr. Wellesley for 14 years.

- Michael Kaufman, 72, owner of Kaufman and Co.. Successful lawyer that's been vying for the Wellesley mansion. He and Mr. Wellesley were friendly competitors until Mr. Wellesley sued Kaufman and Co., and they became vicious rivals.

- Rick Wayne, 28, CCN (Climax City News) reporter. Has been trying to get an interview in with Mr. Kaufman and Mr. Wellesley about the lawsuit. Mr. Wellesley lately told him that "his paparazzi network can go f*ck themselves." Mr. Wayne was almost fired because of this statement, unless he can get this interview.

Best of luck. Go!

Edited by Cavenglok, 06 January 2013 - 04:02 AM.

Anyone who wants to join, or if you're looking for a certain piece of evidence, here's a link to a list of evidence. Thanks, Aaryan!

http://brainden.com/...rm-up/?p=327768

#2 plasmid

plasmid

Senior Lolcat

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:24 AM

Ask Harrison what's inside the armor -- he mentioned there's evidence inside.

And since it seems we start off at the crime scene, might as well look around it while we're here.

#3 vistaptb

vistaptb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

The butler did it!

Seriously, though, let's start by examining the crime scene and try to find out whether Wellesley was killed in the hallway or moved there. It just doesn't seem reasonable that someone was just standing in the hallway and Wellesley walked by. You'd think he would have seen the murderer.

#4 Cavenglok

Cavenglok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

INTERROGATIONHARRISON

YOU: So what other evidence was in the suit of armor?

HARRISON: There was this watch.

He shows you a watch in a Zip-loc.

HARRISON: Still working. Checked it for fingerprints, nothing. You wanna look it, go ahead.

You receive the watch.

Would you like to interrogate anyone else?

EXAMINATION: The 2nd Floor Hallway

Wellesley's body mark outlines the hallway. There is a blood splotch right where his heart would be. Apparently, he was found face-down. The suit of armor was kept relatively intact. His head is bent over, kneeling over the body. The sword is rusty, just like the rest of the suit. Even the handle is rusted teel, suggesting it was more decoration than weapon.

The halls themselves don't look irregular. The carpet on the floor remains undamaged, besides the blood stains and the champagne that Wellesley was drinking. There is a hair on the floor. You put it in a Zip-loc.

Since it's still the night of the party, there is a broken champagne glass on the floor. Even though it only spilled a few hours ago, the carpet is already stained.

Anything else you want to observe specifically?

Anyone who wants to join, or if you're looking for a certain piece of evidence, here's a link to a list of evidence. Thanks, Aaryan!

#5 flamebirde

flamebirde

the guy who lurks in the corners, posting useless stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1345 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

Autopsy, he might have been killed by poison in the champagne but was stabbed to cover it up.

Off topic, I wonder when MiKi will find this thread. I'm sure her taser hand is starting to itch. :P

Mafiosos and mafiosas of the world, unite! And then kill each other in a particularly tricky move that everyone suspects but never anticipates.

stand back. I'm going to apply logic.

Come join the battle against the Chromatic Witch! http://brainden.com/...nly-eat-orange/

The Coup of Rhotus still needs players!End the 2 year sign up phase! http://brainden.com/...-mafia-signups/

#6 vistaptb

vistaptb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

Where his heart would be? As in someone took his heart? Ew.

Since we pretty much have to interrogate the suspects to differentiate them, I'd start with Mr. Green.

#7 MissKitten

MissKitten

Merthur <3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2185 posts
  • Location:At my computer, or maybe writing fanfiction, and losing my sanity and innocence

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

Never fear, MiKi is here!! :P

First off, why is the butler on the list? He has no motive, whereas the others do. That kinda makes me suspicious. Just a bit.
Second off, if there's a rusty suit of armor, common sense says at least some of the rust would have flaked off as the armor was being moved. Is there a rust trail or something? (A far shot, I know, but hey. The police have been known to miss things.)
Also, what time was he killed? And what time does the watch show right now, at the time of the investigation? And yeah, the autopsy would be great.
And the hair. Can we have that analyzed?

That's all I've got for now. And don't worry, I'm going easy on the taser. :P

Chocolate is proof that God wanted us to be happy.

So you want a fight with intent to kill? Then come fight me! It's here in my bow, that intent to kill you love so much! ~ Uryu Ishida

... ~ Nova-kun

Society needs to learn how to adapt, or humanity is screwed. ~ MiKi, aka MissKitten, aka myself

#8 Cavenglok

Cavenglok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:40 AM

I might have to set some sort of limit to the taser. :) Er... No. The body was removed for autopsy, and the heart is still there. Which reminds me, Wellesley was stabbed while he was alive, right through the heart. No sign of other poisons or toxins.

INTERROGATION: GREEN

YOU: Hello, Mr. Green. Glad you could join me.

GREEN: Hello, Inspector. Are you any closer to discovering the culprit?

YOU: We are making good progress. Can we ask you a few questions?

(You need to come up with the questions.)

#9 Cavenglok

Cavenglok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

You can decide if he's suspicious.

OBSERVATION: 2nd Floor Hallway

You look for any sign of rust flakes. Nope.

AUTOPSY: WELLESLEY

He was killed around 10:00. The watch says about 10:53.

ANALYSIS: HAIR ON THE FLOOR

DNA analysis will take a very long time, but so far as the scientists can tell, it's a woman's hair. However, it's a brown color, not the white color like Mary's hair.

#10 MissKitten

MissKitten

Merthur <3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2185 posts
  • Location:At my computer, or maybe writing fanfiction, and losing my sanity and innocence

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

Re: the watch, so it's basically just working normally? Like, nothing special time-wise, just telling the normal time?

Does anyone think there might be a clue inside the watch? I don't wanna take it apart if the watch itself is the evidence, but I was thinking there might be something within the years or something. Or, like, a hidden compartment.

Re: the hair, do they know its a woman's hair because of some fancy scientific reason, or because its long and sleek?

How far away from the victim did the champagne fall?

Another thing is, do we know for sure that the murderer is amongst the suspects?

Okay. I think that's all I have right now, lol. Time to organize my thoughts.

Spoiler for Just getting my thoughts together

Chocolate is proof that God wanted us to be happy.

So you want a fight with intent to kill? Then come fight me! It's here in my bow, that intent to kill you love so much! ~ Uryu Ishida

... ~ Nova-kun

Society needs to learn how to adapt, or humanity is screwed. ~ MiKi, aka MissKitten, aka myself

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users