Jump to content
BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers
  • 0
BMAD

Poisonous apples

Question

There are two bowls that you and a challenger must eat from.  After flipping a coin you were selected to pick the bowl that each would eat from.  In the first bowl there are three out of five poisonous apples.  In the second bowl, there are two out of five poisonous apples.  Whoever eats from the first bowl must eat two apples at random from the bowl.  Whoever eats from the second bowl must eat three random apples from the second bowl.  Which bowl should you pick to eat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1

assuming five apples in each bowl,

Spoiler

you have a 2/5*1/4 chance to survive in the first bowl, or 10%. You have a 3/5*2/4*1/3 chance to survive with the second bowl, or a 10% chance. Its the same chance either way. I say it doesn't matter. (I assume that after eating an apple you take it out of the bowl.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1

Probabilities of something occuring in sequence multiply together, they don't add.

We could calculate the probability where we don't eat 2 poisonous or where we do.  I chose to calculate where we do.  

For the first bowl.  We only care if you eat 2 poisonous apples. The probability the first apple eaten is poisonous is 3/5.   Assuming you ate a poisonous apple because that is the only scenario we care about, the probability the second apple is poisonous is 2/4.  This is the only scenario eating from this bowl that we die.  Multiply this together (3/5 * 2/4) and the chance of dying is 30%.   70% chance you survive.

For the second bowl, we do the same thing, but there are multiple possibility branches for this one.

The probability the first apple eaten is poisonous is 2/5.  The probability the second apple is poisonous is 1/4 if you already ate a poisonous one.
So a 10% chance you die after eating the second apple (assuming it is fast poison).  If you are still alive then the 2nd apple was not poisonous so that had a probability of 3/4.  That makes he probability for the third equal to 1/3. So 2/5 * 3/4 * 1/3 is 10% chance of dying.  
The chance the first apple is not poisonous is 3/5.  So for the second the chance is 2/4, leaving the last at 1/3.    So multiply these out and you get 10%%.  
Due to having 3 scenarios that result in death we have to add those probabilities.  10% + 10% + 10% = 30%.  70% chance we survive.

So both bowls have the same odds.  Others arrived at this answer, but with the wrong math.  Cheers.

Edited by Taciav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Survival probabilities are (.4)^2 = .16 and (.6)^3 = .216 respectively for the two bowls. Pick bowl #2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

the odds of eating a poison apple  for the 1st bowl  = 3/5 + 3/4 =  12/20 + 15/20 = 27/20 = !.35 chances of eating the P/A

                                                                          2nd bowl =2/5 + 2/4= 2/3 = 24 /60 +30/60 + 40/60 = 84/60 = 1.4 CHANCES 

Therefore you would eat from the 1st bowl with a 0.05 better chance of avoiding the P?A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I agree with Flamebirde's answer. But I would add a bit more to it.

Spoiler

His answer would be correct if you assume that biting into a poisoned apple brings immediate death.

Pick from the first bowl and get
P(survival) = 2/5 x 1/4 = (2x1)/(5x4)
Pick from the second bowl and get
P(survival) = 3/5 x 2/4 x 1/3, but cancel out the 3 in the numerator and 3 in the denominator and you have (2x1)/(5x4) so the same thing.

However, if you don’t just keel over dead right after biting into a poison apple and just get a horrible stomachache or something, then it might be better if you only ate one poison apple instead of two, or two instead of three. If that’s the case (or in more general terms, if it’s better to eat fewer poisoned apples even if the probability of eating any non-zero number of poisoned apples is unchanged) then I’d rather eat from the bowl with only two poisoned apples. Since the question doesn’t specify whether apples are immediately lethal or not, that seems to me like the best course of action with the information that’s given.

Edit: Scratch that. If someone poisoned three of five apples and you had to choose two to eat, your probability of choosing one poisoned apple would be the same as if you chose three apples and then someone came by and randomly poisoned two of the five in play and you ask how many of those two apples that got poisoned are in your hands. It ends up being symmetrical, so it doesn't matter which bowl you pick.

 

Edited by plasmid
posted before thinking :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The OP does not say how many apples there are. It says the proportion that are poisonous.

Question: was that the intent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 5/25/2018 at 6:25 AM, bonanova said:

The OP does not say how many apples there are. It says the proportion that are poisonous.

Question: was that the intent?

I meant them to be fractions so five in each

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Spoiler

Revised survival probabilities are

Bowl 1: (2/5)(1/4) = 0.1.
Bowl 2: (3/5)(2/4)(1/3) = 0.1.

Horrible odds. I would totally decline the challenge.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

For the bowl with 2 poisonous apples out of 5, and you have to eat 3, there are 3 possible ways to die:

The first way to die is by eating 2 poisonous apples in a row. The first time there's a 2/5 chance to eat a poisonous apple, which reduces to a 1/4 chance to eat a second one. Multiply these two together: 

(2/5)*(1/4) = 10%

Second way to die is if you eat one good apple and then two bad ones:

(2/5) * (2/4) * (1/3) = 6.6%

Third way to die is if you eat one bad one, then a good one, and then a bad one:

(2/5) * (1/4) * (1/3) = 3.33%

Add these probabilities together,

10% + 6.6% + 3.33% = (Basically) 20%

This means that the chance of dying is 20%, so a 80% chance of survival.

For the second bowl there is only one way to die, and that's if you eat 2 bad ones in a row:

(3/5) * (2/4) = 30%

So that means there's a 30% chance of death and a 70% chance of survival, respectively.

I can't figure out how people get to it being 70% for both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 10/5/2019 at 5:39 PM, Silas said:

For the bowl with 2 poisonous apples out of 5, and you have to eat 3, there are 3 possible ways to die:

The first way to die is by eating 2 poisonous apples in a row. The first time there's a 2/5 chance to eat a poisonous apple, which reduces to a 1/4 chance to eat a second one. Multiply these two together: 

(2/5)*(1/4) = 10%

Second way to die is if you eat one good apple and then two bad ones:

(2/5) * (2/4) * (1/3) = 6.6%

Third way to die is if you eat one bad one, then a good one, and then a bad one:

(2/5) * (1/4) * (1/3) = 3.33%

Add these probabilities together,

10% + 6.6% + 3.33% = (Basically) 20%

This means that the chance of dying is 20%, so a 80% chance of survival.

For the second bowl there is only one way to die, and that's if you eat 2 bad ones in a row:

(3/5) * (2/4) = 30%

So that means there's a 30% chance of death and a 70% chance of survival, respectively.

I can't figure out how people get to it being 70% for both.

You wouldn’t get 6.66% because you’re choosing that you didn’t eat a poisoned one so you would have to do 3/5*2/4*1/3 for that one because the 3/5 is choosing that you ate the alright one and you wouldn’t get 3.33% because you did the same thing wrong as you would have to choose the odds of 2/5*1/4*2/3 because the 2/3 is that you eat the healthy one at the end which you would already be dead. Your answer would be if you had eaten all three poisoned ones in a row.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Riddles are often a play on words so here's my guess -

"In the first bowl there are 3 out of 5 Poisonous Apples." That means that there are a total of 5 Poisonous Apples. It does NOT mean that there are 3 Poisonous Apples and 2 Regular Apples in Bowl 1. It means that there are 3 Poisonous Apples in Bowl 1 and 2 Poisonous Apples in Bowl 2.

I believe Bowl 1 has 3 Poisonous apples and nothing else. Bowl 2 has 2 Poisonous apples and nothing else, meaning you can't even eat 3 apples because there are only 2 apples in the bowl.

Eat from Bowl 2 because you won't have to eat any apples, especially after Bowl 1 eater is poisoned. 

Edited by James
update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 5/24/2018 at 1:14 AM, flamebirde said:

assuming five apples in each bowl,

  Reveal hidden contents

you have a 2/5*1/4 chance to survive in the first bowl, or 10%. You have a 3/5*2/4*1/3 chance to survive with the second bowl, or a 10% chance. Its the same chance either way. I say it doesn't matter. (I assume that after eating an apple you take it out of the bowl.)

 

What happens if you need two apples to die from poison overdose and one poisoned apple is fine for you. would it be :

4/5 * 3/4 * 2/3 = 40% Survival for the Second Bowl   and 

3/5 * 2/4 = 30% Survival for the First one ?

You don't die instantly in this extra riddle from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmkCS5eA4f8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...