Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Chromatic Witch, Ep 2: The Power of Green

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#41 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

Well I got immersed in these:
http://japanese.abou...so/a/blank3.htm
http://en.wikipedia...._writing_system

and a few others, and now my head hurts, so I'm resting for a while :blink: .

Does FUMA NATSURU mean anything to anybody?

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#42 Aaryan

Aaryan

Superior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1966 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:15 PM

Fabby's on the right track. It's a language, probably a form of Japanese; that's what "characters" refers to. We may have to figure out the language and translate the given numbers.

Edit: Wait a sec, fab gave a link that contains three parts of the Japanese language; Kanji, Hiragana, and Katakana. At least two of them should make the H and K. Also, the paintbrushes probably refer to Asian calligraphy.

Edited by Aaryan, 01 August 2012 - 10:21 PM.

Back in Business. 

Are you intelligent? Of course you are. Do you love mind games? Of course you do? Join a Trainer's Manual Mafia in the Games today (well, once one opens up).

#43 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:59 PM

@DD - If the last number of the sequence could be 21, 28, 42, does that also apply to the 1st one? If so, FUMA NATSURI could be NAMA NATSURI. But Y-San seemed quite happy with your sequence....

For those having fun with the above links, this is a
Spoiler for what I did

Edit to correct my Japanese

Edited by fabpig, 02 August 2012 - 12:00 AM.

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#44 DudleyDude

DudleyDude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1808 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:25 AM

grrrr, was writing up my failures and realized I had made a mistake and then found the answer. The actual sequence should be 28,31,48,21,18,42. I found a nice table for the Hiragana characters that was in "alphabetical order" and I used it to decode to Hu Ma N Na Tu Re -> Human Nature. I think this is probably the final answer.

#45 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:33 AM

grrrr, was writing up my failures and realized I had made a mistake and then found the answer. The actual sequence should be 28,31,48,21,18,42. I found a nice table for the Hiragana characters that was in "alphabetical order" and I used it to decode to Hu Ma N Na Tu Re -> Human Nature. I think this is probably the final answer.

I would think so. It makes a lot more sense than
Spoiler for this!

Nicely done DD

#46 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:53 AM

A smile slowly crossed Orin’s face. Of course! The sequence...the brushes...it all made sense now. He turned to the characters, the kana twins. “I have read your characters!” he declared, holding his chest up high, eyes blazing with confidence.

Just then, a strange thing happened...the brushes disappeared from the twins’ hands and re-materialized in front of Orin. Pausing for only the slightest moment, he took one in each hand.

With 4 strokes of Hiragana’s brush and 1 stroke of Katakana’s, he wrote he first character,
Spoiler for hu

After being engendered into the space, the characters pulsed and then shot towards their respective character, flying into their chests. Was it the agents’ imaginations, or did the twins’ outlines seem slightly fainter?

With 3 strokes H and 2 of K, he flourished the second character,
Spoiler for ma

Following, 1 stroke H, 2 strokes K,
Spoiler for n

No, it was not their imaginations. The characters were fading with each character. Orin went on to the second word. 4 strokes for Hiragana, 2 strokes for Katakana,
Spoiler for na

1 stroke for Hiragana, 3 strokes for Katakana,
Spoiler for tu

Only the barest outline of the anime characters remained now. With a respectful bow of his head, Orin painted the final characters with 2 careful stroke for Hiragana and 1 for Katakana,

The twins returned his bow, as if to say: It appears we were wrong, you are worthy opponents indeed. Then they vanished.

There was a rumbling, and the ground they stood upon shook. As the agents of Sector Lambda struggled to maintain their balance, a portion of the ridge in front of them began to collapse. A moment later, the ground stilled once more and they saw that now before them stood a long earthen staircase.

And hence they climbed, up the moss covered steps to the summit of the ridge. And from there...

...a chasm.

They could see nothing but a sheer drop to darkness below. In the distance, they could see the other side of the ravine. But how were they to get across?

Suddenly, the brushes Orin realized he was still holding flew out of his hands. As they did so, they shimmered and lost their form, metamorphosing into pure green energy. The energy split in different directions, becoming an array of nearly square, translucent green platforms. There was one platform in front the agents. Carefully, Orin touched his foot down onto its translucent surface. It seemed solid enough...a deep breath, and he shifted his weight onto it.

It held without even wavering. After studying it for a moment, Captain Wraith followed suit, then the rest of the team, one by one.

After the final member stood on the platform, the platform in front of it lit up. The Sector Lambda agents looked at each other, that was where they were suppose to go, they guessed, but it was too far to step...

Abruptly, they felt themselves propelled forward by a force. Before they realized what was happening, they landed on the platform in front of them. The platform they had been standing on had vanished, they realized, and something else...on the opposite side of the array, a faint outline of a final platform just became visible. This platform would connect the array to the other side of the gulf.

The platform they now were on had a number “1” on it. The three platforms 1 unit away now lit up. “Well...” said Wraith slowly, “I’m guessing we can only move to platforms at an exact distance from the current platform of the number on the platform. Once we move off a platform, it disappears and its ‘energy’ is added to the final platform. I’m guessing we can need to ‘visit’ every platform on our way to the final platform in order to sufficiently ‘power it up’.”

Green Puzzle 3.jpg

Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page!  Episode 2 is awaiting it's epic conclusion...are you up to the task?

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

#47 vistaptb

vistaptb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:14 AM

Numbering the squares like those on a chessboard, I've put together the following links:
h7-h8
a4-a1
a3-a2
f8-g8
c6-e6
b6-a6

#48 vistaptb

vistaptb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:32 AM

A few additions to the list.
h7-h8
a4-a1
a3-a2
f8-g8
c6-e6
b6-a6
g6-g7
b7-f7
f1-f3
c3-b3
d4-c4
d7-d5

#49 DudleyDude

DudleyDude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1808 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:00 AM

A few additions to the list.
h7-h8
a4-a1
a3-a2
f8-g8
c6-e6
b6-a6
g6-g7
b7-f7
f1-f3
c3-b3
d4-c4
d7-d5

I'm not sure I understand the b7-f7. Couldn't f7 also be reached from d7? If so, I think this eliminates most of your following deductions.

But I do think that this is a good approach although I'm sort of hoping one of the programmers will just write an exhaustive search to find the right path...

#50 vistaptb

vistaptb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:46 AM

Yeah, you're right. I guess I missed that. It's nice to see a puzzle where we can understand the rules, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users