Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Silas Nunnery

Silas Nunnery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:27 AM

the 3 slaves cant open the door this way.......

As far as mechanics go, they can. They all would have a key that was identical with a cylinder shaft, a flap on one side to twist and another flap that goes in the the lock to turn the mechanics. the lock would have to have an extra large cylinder hole to accommodate the three keys as they would have to be turn in unison. It is a completely viable answer. No one said what type of lock it was. So I went ahead and used a lock from the far past that only required something that fit in the whole and move the internal mechanics. I will from here on assume they are using modern locks.

#22 Arjit Saraswat

Arjit Saraswat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:26 AM

Mathematical explination

Spoiler for The impossible riddle!!!

thnx man....... that was the answer i was looking for
gr8 job....

#23 Arjit Saraswat

Arjit Saraswat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:34 AM

Spoiler for Try this alternative

As far as mechanics go, they can. They all would have a key that was identical with a cylinder shaft, a flap on one side to twist and another flap that goes in the the lock to turn the mechanics. the lock would have to have an extra large cylinder hole to accommodate the three keys as they would have to be turn in unison. It is a completely viable answer. No one said what type of lock it was. So I went ahead and used a lock from the far past that only required something that fit in the whole and move the internal mechanics. I will from here on assume they are using modern locks.

In this way you are distributing the parts of key to the slaves while the question says that the king distributed the keys to the locks of treasure to the slaves

#24 mickjc75

mickjc75

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:08 PM

From my interpretation of your problem, at least three slaves should be required to open the treasure. How are you going to distribute 3 keys among four slaves so any three will have a full set but no two will have a full set? If your answer is to give slaves 1, 2 and 3 a key each and not give any keys to slave 4, then you have changed the problem since slaves 4 with any other 2 could not open the treasure.

I interpreted the question the same way, that ANY combination of 3 slaves should be able to open the door.
If this were the problem, then I wonder what the answer would be?
Spoiler for The first step

#25 Silas Nunnery

Silas Nunnery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:08 PM

In this way you are distributing the parts of key to the slaves while the question says that the king distributed the keys to the locks of treasure to the slaves

My method has two keys (divided up: vizier+slave[key A], 3 slaves[key b]) and one lock. The riddle says the "king protected his treasure by giving the keys (I did figure in two keys) to the locks of the treasure." It never once states whether or not the keys where divided into pieces. If you want to fault me on semantics then simply say the riddle says locks (plural) so one should automatically be assumed not to be the answer. I admit my answer is wrong because of that fact. It is; however, the simplest answer as to how it would work with one lock. I was to eager to answer my first riddle on here. Next time I will pay closer attention to the riddle itself. Happy solving }: -)

#26 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4756 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:09 PM

Spoiler for an alternative, perhaps?

Can't fully visualize this but think it would work

#27 Avileet

Avileet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:23 AM

what if the vizer was also a slave. that why he/she would have a key for being the slave and also a key for being a slave. So if the Vizer has 2 keys he/she only needed one more slave to help open the slave room. otherwise the 3 remaining slaves can open the room by themselves. so to answer the question as to how many locks there are, i think the answer is 3.

#28 Arjit Saraswat

Arjit Saraswat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:11 PM

Spoiler for an alternative, perhaps?

Can't fully visualize this but think it would work

in this way, 2 slaves can break the chain together... but the question states that it is opened when 3 of them worked together.....
but gud try

#29 Arjit Saraswat

Arjit Saraswat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

I interpreted the question the same way, that ANY combination of 3 slaves should be able to open the door.
If this were the problem, then I wonder what the answer would be?

Spoiler for The first step

sorry but your step is wrong
what you have to do is give every key to a different pair of salves e.g. give key 1 to slaves A and B... keep diving the keys until no more pair of slaves is left... now say you have divided n keys to the slaves.... now give (n+1)th key to every slave and give n keys to the vizier

#30 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4756 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:47 PM

in this way, 2 slaves can break the chain together... but the question states that it is opened when 3 of them worked together.....
but gud try

Spoiler for some thoughts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users