BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

bushindo

Question

I need this information for contesting a ticket. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Let's say we're driving on a perfectly flat and straight road on a sunny morning with good clarity. You glance into the rear mirror, and see a tiny car behind you, just at the edge of the horizon. The distance is such that the car is barely visible; if it were any further, it probably wouldn't be visible to you at all. That car turns out to be a police car measuring your speed. Estimate how far that car is away from your car.

2 answers to this question

I need this information for contesting a ticket. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Let's say we're driving on a perfectly flat and straight road on a sunny morning with good clarity. You glance into the rear mirror, and see a tiny car behind you, just at the edge of the horizon. The distance is such that the car is barely visible; if it were any further, it probably wouldn't be visible to you at all. That car turns out to be a police car measuring your speed. Estimate how far that car is away from your car.

First of all, it depends during what time in the morning, to use good clarity. e.g. When I go to and from work, 3 times a week, the sun is in my eyes alot, and with my visor down there is still a major glare on my windshield. That almost cost my life many of times.

Besides all of that, insinuating that you had a great view without impairment of any sort. Why would a distance calculation, get you out of a ticket, when it is almost always his (cops) word, vs. yours? Just go with maybe 4 blocks or 1/2 mile away. I doubt you'd be any the more accurate.

My advice: Don't argue in court. Tell the whole truth. Let them know that you keep track of your mph and speed limits, and that you are absolutely positive that you did in no way violate any traffic law.

I may bring more help if I think of it. Hope you win.thumbsup.gif

Edited by akaslickster