BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

11 answers to this question

i posted this earlier and then after i had done the math and looked back I forgot how i started and some of the start looked like too much of an assumption. I figured out what i did tho so here it is

The two numbers must be multiples of eachother this is obvious. What is a little less obvious is that if G = a^c then F must be of the form a^b (abc all integers)

This is provable by example

A^B=D^C

imagine factoring A down to its primes. Take all of one prime out. such as all 2. This number would take the form of 2^x. Anyway A now looks like pS p being the set of one prime S the rest.

pS^B=D^C

so in A^B there would be P*B of the prime on the left. to equal this on the right there must be the same exact number of this prime. So there must be a P' in D such that P'*C=P*B. making P a multiple of P' thus doing this for all primes proves that A and D must be powers of the same number.

now I didnt even use that as that gave me the answer that

a^(c-b)=(2c-b)/(2b-c)

which looks alot like the start but i think there is something there that i just cant think of it

I know introducing a third variable was stupid, but I think using the information that they are powers of the same number should help somewhere.

what I did get some results in is defining a^(c-b)=p or p is the F/G. (p integer >0) So

pG^(pG+2G)=G^(G+2pG)

this ends with G=p^((p+2)/(p-1)) which quickly give p=2,4 G=16

so F = 2*16 and 4*16

a quick computer program proves this is the only number between a factor of p between 1 & 10000000.

quote name='Quantum.Mechanic' date='27 July 2009 - 10:49 PM' timestamp='1248727761' post='190149']

Followup for you:

Determine all possible pair(s) (F, G, H) of positive integers, with F > G >= H, such that: FF+HG = GG+HF

Edited by DeeGee