BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I thought of this sequence myself and didn't find it on the forum though it might be hidden somewhere in the hundreds of posts with the word sequence in them. I also googled it and found no results so hopefully this hasn't been done before

The hard step: find the next term in the following sequence 0,2,4,6,4,2,4,6,8,6,12,2

The easy step: whats the summation of the reciprocals of every term in this sequence (from the 1st to infinith term)?

make sure to give your reasoning for what the next term is. I wont tell you if it's right if you just randomly guess it with no justification. As soon as you realize what the sequence is, you should know the summation.

15 answers to this question

Well the "easy step" is easy.. its infinity as you have first term 0 and the reciprocal is 1/0 (infinty)

lol not that easy actually. I meant to say from the second term to infinity but since i forgot to, lets go aheda and make 0 the 0th term.

1/0 is not infinity, its undefined.

It IS infinity.

Consider Limit for b tends to zero for a/b

As an example consider a =1 and b as 10-x Now keep increasing x and see what a/b results.

However, 0/0 is undefined.

Agreed.

1/0 is not infinity, its undefined.

It IS infinity.

As an example consider a =1 and b as 10-x Now keep increasing x and see what a/b results.

as to whether 1/0 is infinity, i'd say no. though its true limit 1/x as x approaches 0 from the positive side, this equals infinity, but if you approach it from the negative side you get negative infinity. therefore it cannot equal any value including infinity. that is 0*infinity doesn't equal 1.

to the original problem though, i have absolutely no idea on that sequence. at first i thought it was simply going up and down, but the 12 throws a wrench in that idea. there is no clear pattern that i can see other than all the numbers being even.

It IS infinity.

Er, no actually, it is undefined.

For starters, infinity is not a number, but a quantity that is greater than any real number. Secondly, for y/x = z to be defined, there must exist a unique solution for y, which is the product xz. This is not the case when x = 0, for any values of y and z. For example, if we say that 1/0 = z, then it must be true that 0*z= 1, and there is no z for which this holds true. Furthermore, the value of y could be anything, so y/0 = z (= infinity) does not have a unique solution for y.

Edit: Missing quote tags...

Edited by d3k3

* Moderator Hat On *

The OP asks to evaluate the series.

Infinite or undefined, the first reciprocal is problematical.

The OP has asked us to ignore it.

Does anyone have a clue about the next term of the sequence, or about the sum?

* Moderator Hat Off *

Infinity, in this forum, seems to be self-defining:

Infinity: The number of posts that will be made on the subject before consensus is reached.

The silver lining is that posts can be assigned integer values, so it's a countable infinity. ;)

(0x2)(1x2)(2x2)(3x2)(2x2)(1x2)(2x2)(3x2)(4x2)(3x2)(2x2)(1x2)(2x2)....ect. So next number would be 4. I would not be suprised if thats not correct but its all I got for now, still working on it

(0x2)(1x2)(2x2)(3x2)(2x2)(1x2)(2x2)(3x2)(4x2)(3x2)(2x2)(1x2)(2x2)....ect. So next number would be 4. I would not be suprised if thats not correct but its all I got for now, still working on it

Thank you for attempting the sequence instead of just discussion 1/0 lol. But sorry 12 isn't a typo. You have to be creative to solve this sequence.

nice name by the way.

Out of curiosity...

Is this a true sequence or just a pattern? (according to my definition...)

That is, is there one formula for all steps in the sequence, or does the formula change as the pattern increases?

Perhaps this is better asked: Is it a logical sequence or a mathematical sequence? If mathematical, does it require a knowledge of Calculus to understand, or do simple arithmetic/geometric skills function assuming sufficient cognitive skills?

Or am I asking too much?? :)

let's say it's number theory (big hint). You dont need calculus to solve it's series either, just logic. If you want to call it a pattern, you can but know the "formula" for the pattern doesn't change as it goes. as i said already, you will need a little creativity to solve this.

The hard step: find the next term in the following sequence 0,2,4,6,4,2,4,6,8,6,12,2

How did you came up with this?

Nevermind, how about:

(0,2,4,6,4,2,4,6,8,6,12,2,10)

32 16 8 4 2 1

0 0 0 0 0 0 >> 0

0 0 0 0 1 0 >> 2

0 0 0 1 0 0 >> 4

0 0 0 1 1 0 >> 6

0 0 0 1 0 0 >> 4

0 0 0 0 1 0 >> 2

0 0 0 1 0 0 >> 4

0 0 0 1 1 0 >> 6

0 0 1 0 0 0 >> 8

0 0 0 1 1 0 >> 6

0 0 1 1 0 0 >> 12

0 0 0 0 1 0 >> 2

0 0 0 1 1 0 >> 10

Are you trying to draw a serpent on binary? lol That's my creativity working 110%!!!

Probably this is not the answer and if it is the right number I'm sure it's not the right explanation. Can you reveal the base of the series? I mean the first numbers of the series that the formula is based on? (Fibonacci is 0,1,1,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x)

Edited by trozen2040