BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

"How do you like my new glasses?" Auntie Jen asked when I arrived for a visit. "It's a pretty strong prescription-so strong, in fact, that I can see through solid objects." "No prescription glasses are that strong," I laughed. "That must be your prescription medication talking." "Okay smarty-pants," Auntie Jen replied. "Watch this." She went into the kitchen and came back with an empty water glass. She then dropped three old dice into the glass and said, "I'll shake the glass and then you look up through the bottom of the glass and add up the numbers you see. With my new glasses I'll look at the top of the dice and see right through them to the numbers on the bottom" I kent down so I could see up through the bottom of the glass. I saw a three, a five and a two. Three plus five plus two equals 10, I thought to myself. Auntie Jen remained standing. Peering intently at the tops of the three dice she declared, "The numbers on the bottom of the dice add up to 10." I couldn't believe my ears. After Auntie Jen repeated the trick four times, I apologized for the crack about her medicene. How did she do it?

6 answers to this question

she either did indeed have very powerful glasses...

or

she simply knew what is on the opposite sides of a die...you saw a 3,2,and a 5, Jen saw a 4,2, and a 5..opposite of the 3 is 4, opposite of 2 is 5 and vice versa...

she either did indeed have very powerful glasses...

or

she simply knew what is on the opposite sides of a die...you saw a 3,2,and a 5, Jen saw a 4,2, and a 5..opposite of the 3 is 4, opposite of 2 is 5 and vice versa...

Yes anyone who took the 3 and a half days required to read the directions for parcheesi would know that..... the numbers on the opposite sides of the dice always add up to 7.

"How do you like my new glasses?" Auntie Jen asked when I arrived for a visit. "It's a pretty strong prescription-so strong, in fact, that I can see through solid objects." "No prescription glasses are that strong," I laughed. "That must be your prescription medication talking." "Okay smarty-pants," Auntie Jen replied. "Watch this." She went into the kitchen and came back with an empty water glass. She then dropped three old dice into the glass and said, "I'll shake the glass and then you look up through the bottom of the glass and add up the numbers you see. With my new glasses I'll look at the top of the dice and see right through them to the numbers on the bottom" I kent down so I could see up through the bottom of the glass. I saw a three, a five and a two. Three plus five plus two equals 10, I thought to myself. Auntie Jen remained standing. Peering intently at the tops of the three dice she declared, "The numbers on the bottom of the dice add up to 10." I couldn't believe my ears. After Auntie Jen repeated the trick four times, I apologized for the crack about her medicene. How did she do it?