BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

bushindo

Question

The following questions assume a 8x8 chess board. Starting with an empty chess board,

1) How many different ways can you place 8 rooks so that none can attack another?

2) how many different ways can you place 8 bishops so that none can attack another?

Edited by bushindo

hey i have assumed that each rook can attack another ... or is it that, there are only two kinds of rooks black and white, and black can attack only white.???

The following questions assume a 8x8 chess board. Starting with an empty chess board,

1) How many different ways can you place 8 rooks so that none can attack another?

2) how many different ways can you place 8 bishops so that none can attack another?

"So that none can attack another"--- do you mean, there is no one in their attack range. OR There is some one in their attack range but killing that rook would result in being killed by another rook, so effectively they "cant" attack anyone.

"So that none can attack another"--- do you mean, there is no one in their attack range. OR There is some one in their attack range but killing that rook would result in being killed by another rook, so effectively they "cant" attack anyone.

I think he means that when you place the 8 pieces; on the next move none can attack one another. So if you have a rook on square A5, you can't have one on square B5,C5,D5,E5...(In the same setting that is)

It's 8!, or 40,320.

I'll say 260 ways. If thats right I'll explain. If it's wrong then I won't bother.

:D
Edited by James8421

Counting symmetries?

Rotate the chessboard around by 45 degrees and treat it the same as the Rooks

8!=40320

Follow the chessboard from corner to corner and their are 14 diagonals which the bishops can go in.

The first diagonal only has one square so only one space for a bishop

The second diagonal only has two squares so two places for a bishop

The third diagonal has 3 squares but one is diagonal to the first bishop so again only two spaces for a bishop

The fourth diagonal has 4 squares and one of them is diagonal to the second bishop

The fifth diagonal has 5 squares and two of them are diagonal to the third and first bishops

Carry on going along the diagonals and you get the sum below

1*2*2*3*3*4*4*5*3*3*2*2*1=103680

Is this right? :huh:

Doh i was using as many bishops as possiable :o

Edited by Mad Twit

Whoops

You can have a maximum of 13 bishops which cant attack each other and their are this many different combinations where you can place them

Use the method that i used in my above post

Whoops

You can have a maximum of 13 bishops which cant attack each other and their are this many different combinations where you can place them

Use the method that i used in my above post

Can't 14 bishops be placed on an 8x8 board where they can't attack each other?

nXn board=8x8...n=8

2n-2=B....2*8-2=14

1) 8!

2) 64*(64-8)*(64-2*8)*(64-3*8)*(64-4*8)*(64-5*8)*(64-6*8)*(64-7*8) = 676,457,349,120 ways

For the bishop, you're assuming that each placement of the bishop takes out 8 possible spaces on the board. However, depending on location on the board, bishops take out more than those. Consider the first placement. If the bishop is placed in the center of the board, let say at position (4,4), it would remove 14 positions from the board.

For the bishop, you're assuming that each placement of the bishop takes out 8 possible spaces on the board. However, depending on location on the board, bishops take out more than those. Consider the first placement. If the bishop is placed in the center of the board, let say at position (4,4), it would remove 14 positions from the board.

ya.. it hit me as soon as i posted it..

by the way if bishops were to dominate a board, i.e. 8 B's placed such a way that they cover the whole board.. there are 1146 ways to do it.

Tried very hard to formulate it, haven't found the time.. but every time i think i am close i find a way to disprove it.

ya.. it hit me as soon as i posted it..

by the way if bishops were to dominate a board, i.e. 8 B's placed such a way that they cover the whole board.. there are 1146 11664 ways to do it.

Tried very hard to formulate it, haven't found the time.. but every time i think i am close i find a way to disprove it.

I saw the Domination set up too, but it fails in quite a few scenarios acording to the OP, in that they cannot attack one another. It was pretty neat tho. At first made me think there were less than the 11,664 ways, but then those 11,664 ways do not include the scenarios when the board is not dominated, such as lining all the bishops in a single column or row. If one could figure out how many scenarios to take out of the 11,664, and which ones to add back to it, then hey they might be onto something. :dry:

5,337,446,400 ways.

This is a great number which I hadn't expected. So it may be wrong ???

Did you count symmetries, and did you make sure not to count the order of placement (order is not important)?. This problem should have a large number of solutions, since 8 isn't the maximum number of bishops you can put on the board. The max is 13 or 14, i think. I haven't worked a solution out completely, but maybe post your solution and we'll evaluate the logic?

I tried figuring out a 4x4 board with 4 bishops, and got 96 ways, and went 96^4....But wasn't sure if I got all the ways for the 4x4, 4 bishop way...I pretty much did it on paper, and it was hard to keep track. Not to sure if thats what should be done, but thats how I got that number.

Did you count symmetries, and did you make sure not to count the order of placement (order is not important)?. This problem should have a large number of solutions, since 8 isn't the maximum number of bishops you can put on the board. The max is 13 or 14, i think. I haven't worked a solution out completely, but maybe post your solution and we'll evaluate the logic?

I calculated that there are 15 possible places to place 8 or any other number of bishops, just as Mad Twit posted above:

Follow the chessboard from corner to corner and their are 14 diagonals which the bishops can go in.

The first diagonal only has one square so only one space for a bishop

The second diagonal only has two squares so two places for a bishop

The third diagonal has 3 squares but one is diagonal to the first bishop so again only two spaces for a bishop

The fourth diagonal has 4 squares and one of them is diagonal to the second bishop

The fifth diagonal has 5 squares and two of them are diagonal to the third and first bishops

Carry on going along the diagonals and you get the sum below

Rotate the chessboard around by 45 degrees and treat it the same as the Rooks

Then I got C(158) because we have this number of combinations of 8 places out of 15 places.

Then multiplied those and found 5,337,446,400.

I assumed each place is named as a1,a2,..b1,b2 as in chess. So didn't need to exclude symmetrics.

Very close. I have a ballpark estimate, and it's pretty close to yours. How did you do that?

Now I'm getting 135,137,760.

still in your ballpark?

Spoiler for this is how I got the number..:

You can put a total of 14 Bishops on an 8x8 board so they can't attack one another.

There are 22,522,960 scenarios of doing that.

I think for every scenario of that happening, you can have 6 times as many for only 8 Bishops.(more less a geuss)But if thats the case, then take the 22,522,960*6=135,137,760

Dang... I'm onto a solution... but had a bug in my code. No time to rerun. I'll repost a solution in a couple of minutes.

Edited by Phatfingers

Here's how I figured (writing a small program to solve)...

Number the squares from 1 to 64, starting from top-left, row-by-row.

Use a rule that every new bishop must be placed at a higher number than the last.

If you successfully place all 8 bishops without contention, increment a counter.

The first bishop, b1, will be in the range 1..57,

The second bishop, b2, will be in the range b1..58,

The eighth bishop, b8, will be in the range b7..64

A simple subroutine evaluates whether a square (represented by number) is reachable by any bishops currently on the board. The rest is just a bunch of nested loops with the counter in the inner-most loop.

I'm including the source code (in case there's a bug in either my logic or the code). It's zero-based numbering for the board, but otherwise matches the description above.

use strict;

sub intersect {
my ($p2, @pn)=@_;
my $p1;
foreach $p1 (@pn) {
return 1 if (($p2-$p1)%7==0) && ($p1%8 > $p2%8);
return 1 if (($p2-$p1)%9==0) && ($p1%8 < $p2%8);
}
return 0;
}

sub count_patterns {
my ($b0, $b1, $b2, $b3, $b4, $b5, $b6, $b7, $patterns)=(0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0);
for ($b0=0; $b0<57; $b0++) {
for ($b1=1+$b0; $b1<58; $b1++) {
next if intersect($b1, $b0);
for ($b2=1+$b1; $b2<59; $b2++) {
next if intersect($b2, $b0, $b1);
for ($b3=1+$b2; $b3<60; $b3++) {
next if intersect($b3, $b0, $b1, $b2);
for ($b4=1+$b3; $b4<61; $b4++) {
next if intersect($b4, $b0, $b1, $b2, $b3);
for ($b5=1+$b4; $b5<62; $b5++) {
next if intersect($b5, $b0, $b1, $b2, $b3, $b4);
for ($b6=1+$b5; $b6<63; $b6++) {
next if intersect($b6, $b0, $b1, $b2, $b3, $b4, $b5);
for ($b7=1+$b6; $b7<64; $b7++) {
next if intersect($b7, $b0, $b1, $b2, $b3, $b4, $b5, $b6);
$patterns++;
}
}
}
}
}
}
}
print "$b0 : patterns=$patterns\n";
}
return $patterns;
}

count_patterns;
#! /usr/bin/perl

Here's how I figured (writing a small program to solve)...

Number the squares from 1 to 64, starting from top-left, row-by-row.

Use a rule that every new bishop must be placed at a higher number than the last.

If you successfully place all 8 bishops without contention, increment a counter.

The first bishop, b1, will be in the range 1..57,

The second bishop, b2, will be in the range b1..58,

The eighth bishop, b8, will be in the range b7..64

A simple subroutine evaluates whether a square (represented by number) is reachable by any bishops currently on the board. The rest is just a bunch of nested loops with the counter in the inner-most loop.

I'm including the source code (in case there's a bug in either my logic or the code). It's zero-based numbering for the board, but otherwise matches the description above.

use strict;

sub intersect {
my ($p2, @pn)=@_;
my $p1;
foreach $p1 (@pn) {
return 1 if (($p2-$p1)%7==0) && ($p1%8 > $p2%8);
return 1 if (($p2-$p1)%9==0) && ($p1%8 < $p2%8);
}
return 0;
}

sub count_patterns {
my ($b0, $b1, $b2, $b3, $b4, $b5, $b6, $b7, $patterns)=(0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0);
for ($b0=0; $b0<57; $b0++) {
for ($b1=1+$b0; $b1<58; $b1++) {
next if intersect($b1, $b0);
for ($b2=1+$b1; $b2<59; $b2++) {
next if intersect($b2, $b0, $b1);
for ($b3=1+$b2; $b3<60; $b3++) {
next if intersect($b3, $b0, $b1, $b2);
for ($b4=1+$b3; $b4<61; $b4++) {
next if intersect($b4, $b0, $b1, $b2, $b3);
for ($b5=1+$b4; $b5<62; $b5++) {
next if intersect($b5, $b0, $b1, $b2, $b3, $b4);
for ($b6=1+$b5; $b6<63; $b6++) {
next if intersect($b6, $b0, $b1, $b2, $b3, $b4, $b5);
for ($b7=1+$b6; $b7<64; $b7++) {
next if intersect($b7, $b0, $b1, $b2, $b3, $b4, $b5, $b6);
$patterns++;
}
}
}
}
}
}
}
print "$b0 : patterns=$patterns\n";
}
return $patterns;
}

count_patterns;
#! /usr/bin/perl

I think you made a program to solve for thisThat solves for how many ways 14 bishops can be placed without attacking.

Thats where I got that number in my last post #23....I just am not sure if what I did is the correct way to get the other number I put up.

Edited by James8421