BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

This isn't exactly a homework problem, but alot of people here are very good with computers and the works. This does have to do with my school though...

Recently I have downloaded BitTorret to my home computer and downloaded some videos for my teacher in class. Now some of the videos download but others say that there is not enough disk space. I really do not know what that means since the ones after that download perfectly fine.

For example I have downloaded 1-19, but 20-29 give me the error, and 30+ keep downloading.

Can anyone guide me on what to do with this? I would hate to PM rookie since he has done so much to me, as for the other mods, Martini and Bonova. This is just a question that has been rolling around in my brain for about a week now and I could not find a solution. Since this is a help place and the people here are so advanced with computers and the works, I though I migh as well post my problem here.

~Thanks

Blade

12 answers to this question

I'm unsure how this question will be received since it's not about homework, but regardless, your problem could be the hard drive format type. Older drives were FAT32 format and you can't exceed 4GB file sizes no matter how much free space is on the drive. To check the file system of your hard drive, right-click on the drive icon under "my computer" and it will tell you if it is NTFS (larger files OK) or FAT32 (4GB max.).

First of all you should check you file system (like PT says) and how much disk space you have available. If you have more than one hard drive you might be running out of space in one of them, so you should change the drive you're saving your torrent downloads.

Hope it helps ;)

I agree with the above and when you are installing a download program he will ask you where do you want for your files to download, so if your disk is divided then it's better to download the files on the one with more free space on it. I don't know if you can change that after you've installed the program, but you can set it while you are installing it.

I think... :wacko:

I agree with the above and when you are installing a download program he will ask you where do you want for your files to download, so if your disk is divided then it's better to download the files on the one with more free space on it. I don't know if you can change that after you've installed the program, but you can set it while you are installing it.

I think... :wacko:

You can change the directory, typically in the preferences option.

Well I have a Windows XP... it's not THAT old, and we do not have alot downloaded on it. The files are all the same size... pretty much. Some are double than others... it's just this part (20-29) wont download. I'll download UTorrent, thanks Impervious ^_^

I'll see how that works out and post it here. Thanks guys for all your help!!!!!!

Well I have a Windows XP... it's not THAT old, and we do not have alot downloaded on it. The files are all the same size... pretty much. Some are double than others... it's just this part (20-29) wont download. I'll download UTorrent, thanks Impervious ^_^

I'll see how that works out and post it here. Thanks guys for all your help!!!!!!

Definitely try UTorrent, that's what I use.

That said, it sounds to me more like an error with those particular files as opposed to one with your computer/downloading client. Admittedly, I'm no tech whiz, but if you're running an NTFS and you have enough disk space there shouldn't be a problem, and I can't really imagine there would be some weird anomaly causing download errors for those files only.

Have you tried a different mirror for your files? Also, are the videos downloaded in sets (as you wrote; 1-19, etc) or one by one?

It is all one by one. "Supposedly" the files downloaded today with BitTorret, so for now I'll stick with it until the rest of the files download. I haven't tried converting them yet and thats what I am going to do today.

If you go to tailedfox.com and click on downloads, the shippuden episodes are what I am downloading. When I get done downloading them, it's in .avi format. Of couse... I want to watch it on my iPod so I get a converter. It's called Videora Ipod Converter... It was the only one which could successfully convert the .avi file.

And Peace,

I have no idea what you mean by mirrors. Really I am not that big on downloading things off the web. The risk of viruses and spyware is a bit to big for me....

It is all one by one. "Supposedly" the files downloaded today with BitTorret, so for now I'll stick with it until the rest of the files download. I haven't tried converting them yet and thats what I am going to do today.

If you go to tailedfox.com and click on downloads, the shippuden episodes are what I am downloading. When I get done downloading them, it's in .avi format. Of couse... I want to watch it on my iPod so I get a converter. It's called Videora Ipod Converter... It was the only one which could successfully convert the .avi file.

And Peace,

I have no idea what you mean by mirrors. Really I am not that big on downloading things off the web. The risk of viruses and spyware is a bit to big for me....

Mirrors are alternate sites to download the same file. usually different mirrors are offered in different countries to provide better and more reliable downloading.

And Peace,

So you download this directly from the website???

If so, howcome you're using bittorrent if you're not actually downloading using a torrent file? Are you using bittorrent as a download manager for direct downloads (I've never tried this and I'm not sure if it's possible)?

I think that if you're using bittorrent, the program itself finds the best mirrors (locations) for you and starts downloading from whatever is available. If not, you could try alternate links for the same download (as long as they're provided by the site)

Edited by JarZe

So you download this directly from the website???

If so, howcome you're using bittorrent if you're not actually downloading using a torrent file? Are you using bittorrent as a download manager for direct downloads (I've never tried this and I'm not sure if it's possible)?

I think that if you're using bittorrent, the program itself finds the best mirrors (locations) for you and starts downloading from whatever is available. If not, you could try alternate links for the same download (as long as they're provided by the site)

You could also try finding alternate torrent file's. Check the number of seeders vs leechers. the higher the seed and the lower the leech is better.

Now some of the videos download but others say that there is not enough disk space. I really do not know what that means since the ones after that download perfectly fine.

I don't know about BitTorrent, but most torrent clients calculate available space as the actual free space on the disk less the size of any torrents either downloading or queued.