BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

bonanova

Question

The old Grandfather clock in the corner has a 5-inch long hour hand and a 10-inch long minute hand.

At midnight, and at twenty-two more times during the day, the hands line up.

At those times, the tips of the hands are 5 inches apart.

Midway between those times, they are 15 inches apart.

During the first hour, when does that distance increase at the greatest rate?

7 answers to this question

The old Grandfather clock in the corner has a 5-inch long hour hand and a 10-inch long minute hand.

At midnight, and at twenty-two more times during the day, the hands line up.

At those times, the tips of the hands are 5 inches apart.

Midway between those times, they are 15 inches apart.

During the first hour, when does that distance increase at the greatest rate?

Assuming they start together - and the rate of the hour hand is inconsiquencial then the greatest rate of distance would be at the start.

Assuming they start together - and the rate of the hour hand is inconsiquencial then the greatest rate of distance would be at the start.

Hi Chronic, and welcome to the Den. ;)

at the start - and at the points of maximum separation - the rate of change is zero.

Think of a smooth curve that goes between maximum and minimum values.

If you're familiar with a sine wave or more appropriately here a cosine wave,

you can see that the slope of that curve at the peaks and valleys is zero.

That is, the curve is horizontal at those points.

So minute hand moves 6 degrees per min, and hour hand moves at .5 degree per minute. After t minutes, you can form a triangle with those two hands with an angle between them of 5.5t degrees. The side opposite this angle, let's call it C, has property C^2 = 5^2 + 15^2 - 2*5*15*cos(5.5t). So we want to find when dC/dt is maximum, or d^2C/dt^2 = 0. After some calculus, this occurs when x = 12.82 and minimum (i.e. decreasing at the fastest rate) occurs at 52.63 min. Btw, the distance increases/decreases at 27.5 inch/min at these two time points.

Edited by sihyunie

So minute hand moves 6 degrees per min, and hour hand moves at .5 degree per minute. After t minutes, you can form a triangle with those two hands with an angle between them of 5.5t degrees. The side opposite this angle, let's call it C, has property C^2 = 5^2 + 15^2 - 2*5*15*cos(5.5t). So we want to find when dC/dt is maximum, or d^2C/dt^2 = 0. After some calculus, this occurs when x = 12.82 and minimum (i.e. decreasing at the fastest rate) occurs at 52.63 min. Btw, the distance increases/decreases at 27.5 inch/min at these two time points.

I agree with your method, but the sides of the triangle are 5 and 10, not 5 and 15...so the answers I get are (for max/min in minutes):

t == 10.9091 || t == 54.5455

And the value I get for the rate is .479966 in./min, and the value of C for both times is 8.66025 in.

I agree with your method, but the sides of the triangle are 5 and 10, not 5 and 15...so the answers I get are (for max/min in minutes):

t == 10.9091 || t == 54.5455

And the value I get for the rate is .479966 in./min, and the value of C for both times is 8.66025 in.

What she said ... ;)

Fix the minute hand, and let the hour hand and clock face rotate.

A moment's thought shows the tip of the hour hand recedes fastest from the tip of the minute hand when the hour hand makes a right angle with the line between the hand tips.

The angle between the hour and minute hands is then a=60o [cos a = 5/10 = 1/2].

From midnight, the minute hand shall thus have made 1/6 revolution with respect to the hour hand, or 1/6 [12/11] = 2/11 hours = 120/11 = 10.9091... minutes with respect to the clock face.

The distance between the hands is [100 - 25]1/2 = 5 x 31/2 = 8.66... inches.

The rate of increase = r x omega = 5 [11/2 deg/min] [pi rad/180 deg] = 55 pi/360 = 0.479965544 inches/min.