BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Izzy

Question

So.. I'm sure everyone's heard that a million times. But.. yeah, I'm really at a loss. Perhaps the numbers are wrong?

Find the value of x.

Threeparrallines.png

Alright, here was my attempt. It's known that when two transversals intersect parallel lines, they do so proportionately.

3x /4x = 3x-7/5x + 8

Cross multiply.

15x2 + 24x = 12x2 - 28x

(I look at that and start thinking "Oh god.. quadratic thingy. That was from like two years ago?")

3x2 + 52x + 0 = 0 (Well, technically yeah. I just don't if I'm allowed to do that? Anyway. Plug it into the formula.)

-52 +- SQRT 522 - 4(3)(0) / 2(3)

-52 +- 52 /6

Solutions are 0 and -17.333...

But if you plug those back in to the original picture, it doesn't work. And I can't figure out what to do. >_>

Okay, this one isn't really the math being wrong, more of me not knowing wtf to do. To be honest, I think a number's missing, 'cos I'm not convinced it's possible... Find the values of x and y.

Triangle.png

x = 10, no problem there. But I'm lost on y.

20 answers to this question

Ok, this needs some clarification. Are the Red equations refering to angles or the distances from one black line to the other?

And for the triangle, I am assuming that it is an equilateral?

Ok, this needs some clarification. Are the Red equations refering to angles or the distances from one black line to the other?

And for the triangle, I am assuming that it is an equilateral?

Distances. If they were angles, that would be *a lot* easier. The red lines also are NOT parallel. They just happened to be drawn that way.

Nope. 'y' and the unmarked segment are parallel though. (At least I think. That's really all the information we got.)

Edited by Izzy

Distances. If they were angles, that would be *a lot* easier. The red lines also are NOT parallel. They just happened to be drawn that way.

Nope. 'y' and the unmarked segment are parallel though. (At least I think. That's really all the information we got.)

The red lines are not parallell, correct?

I do not think that your numbers are correct for the Red and Black line problem. I do not think that the top of the second line can be smaller than the top of the first line if the bottom of the second line is larger than the bottom of the first line. It does not make sense.

Edited by IDoNotExist

For the triangle thing: I forget the exact formula for finding the area of that shape, but you have the 18 and 20 there, so rather than trying to solve for x and y directly, solve for the value of the intersecting line, first. When you get that, you should have all the information you need to solve for both x and y.

IDNE: The red lines are NOT parallel. The black ones are.

SG: No idea how to solve for the intersecting line. 'Cos it's like, there are *no* angle measures. Meaning the angle at the bottom left could be anything, meaning there are infinitely many solutions. At least I think... :unsure:

I do not think that your numbers are correct for the Red and Black line problem. I do not think that the top of the second line can be smaller than the top of the first line if the bottom of the second line is larger than the bottom of the first line. It does not make sense.

EDIT: brought my comment down

EDIT 2: I donot see how the triangle problem is solveable without more information, at least an angle.

Edited by IDoNotExist

So.. I'm sure everyone's heard that a million times. But.. yeah, I'm really at a loss. Perhaps the numbers are wrong?

Find the value of x.

Threeparrallines.png

Alright, here was my attempt. It's known that when two transversals intersect parallel lines, they do so proportionately.

3x /4x = 3x-7/5x + 8

Cross multiply.

15x2 + 24x = 12x2 - 28x

(I look at that and start thinking "Oh god.. quadratic thingy. That was from like two years ago?")

3x2 + 52x + 0 = 0 (Well, technically yeah. I just don't if I'm allowed to do that? Anyway. Plug it into the formula.)

-52 +- 52 /6

But if you plug those back in to the original picture, it doesn't work. And I can't figure out what to do. >_>

Im not sure this is possible..

Because the only way to make 3x into (3x-7) will be to make the red line on the right more perpindicular to the black lines. But by doing this will Also make the bottom section smaller..

Okay, this one isn't really the math being wrong, more of me not knowing wtf to do. To be honest, I think a number's missing, 'cos I'm not convinced it's possible... Find the values of x and y.

Triangle.png

Haven't had time to work on this one yet but try and and add a line through the top of the triange, meeting the base at 90 degrees. Then use basic triangle rules ( sin, cos, pythagerous) to work out the angles, distances you need.

Haven't had time to work on this one yet but try and and add a line through the top of the triange, meeting the base at 90 degrees. Then use basic triangle rules ( sin, cos, pythagerous) to work out the angles, distances you need.

I still think I'd need at least one other angle measure sin, cos, and tan to work. 272 is 729, and without knowing angle measures, a and b could be, well, anything.

I still think I'd need at least one other angle measure sin, cos, and tan to work. 272 is 729, and without knowing angle measures, a and b could be, well, anything.

Yeah, you need an angle...or the value of the unmarked line. For the first problem, no, it's not possible since the top of the second red line is shorter (3x-7<3x) and the bottom is longer (5x+8>4x), which is physically impossible. Is this your homework? If it is...your teacher either is looking for the trick answer...or...uh...needs to spend more time double checking his/her problems... :unsure:

Uh...please tell me it was a WALLY test... :blink:

Er, a what? But yeah, it was a pretty serious "This is worth 20% of your grade, just like every other test, test."

I'm annoyed with math. Well, my class. They're on chapter 8, retaking the chapter 7 test, while I'm almost done with chapter 11, starting 12 tomorrow. *sigh* /rant

Woon, yeah, if she has answers, proper ones, I'll be amazed.

Er, a what? But yeah, it was a pretty serious "This is worth 20% of your grade, just like every other test, test."

I'm annoyed with math. Well, my class. They're on chapter 8, retaking the chapter 7 test, while I'm almost done with chapter 11, starting 12 tomorrow. *sigh* /rant

Woon, yeah, if she has answers, proper ones, I'll be amazed.

Lol...yeah...well, I dealt with that by having Space Invaders on my graphing calculator...;P

Find the value of x.

Threeparrallines.png

3x /4x = 3x-7/5x + 8

Cross multiply.

15x2 + 24x = 12x2 - 28x

-52 +- 52 /6

Triangle.png

Your right on 1,(except for the x≠0, Divide by Zero) the reason it doesn't work is because there's no such thing as negative length

Your right to be lost on y, there are infinite solutions.

1. By putting the lines on the two parallel planes,

we can deduce that (3x)&(4x) are synonomous to (3x-7)&(5x+8)

3x/4x = (3x-7)&(5x+8) , x≠0

We then cross multiply to get

15(x^2)+24x = 12(x^2)-28x

Which simplifies to

15x+24 = 12x -28,

15x+52 = 12x,

52 = -3x

x = -17.3333…

Which you said, which is negative, and you can’t have negative length.

In other words, the solution is not real, and your teacher is evil

2. Y cannot be deduced with the information given, because infinite solutions can be given with the fixed lengths, even with the parallel lines. An angle or an extra side in the internal triangle is needed.

Y is indeterminable, if your teacher docks you,

it is either because you didn't give us all the information,

or because your teacher is incompetent, or is using a test written by an incompetent

Edited by Romulus064