BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

bonanova

Question

On the grave of Diophantes, the Alexandrian mathematician, the following inscription appears:

This stone marks the grave of Diophantes. If you solve this riddle, you will know his age.

He spent one-sixth of his life as a child, Then one-twelfth as a youth.

He was married for one-seventh of his life. Five years after he married, his son was born.

Fate overtook his beloved child; he died When he was half the age of his father.

Four more years did the father live Before reaching the end of this life.

How long did Diophantes live?

9 answers to this question

On the grave of Diophantes, the Alexandrian mathematician, the following inscription appears:

This stone marks the grave of Diophantes. If you solve this riddle, you will know his age.

He was married for one-seventh of his life. Five years after he married, his son was born.

Fate overtook his beloved child; he died When he was half the age of his father.

I'm guessing 60, 10 as a child, 5 as a youth ("manhood" came earlier in those days). 6*10=60, 12*5=60, and I did not bother with the rest since it fits so far.

||------+------+---+---------------------+-----------------|| His life = X

1/6 1/12 5 X/2 4

how long he was married is not relevant :-) unless i am missing that he did not get married at the end of youth which will lead to another calculation altogether

which means X = 36 by maths.

1/6 1/12 5 X/2 4

how long he was married is not relevant :-) unless i am missing that he did not get married at the end of youth which will lead to another calculation altogether

1/6 1/12 5 X/2 4

i know i replied but most probably it seems an incorrect answer :( ...what we need to know more is .."when did his wife died". or "Which part of his life he got married"

not so straightforward as it seems...

He lived to be

84 years old?

Since he spent 1/6, 1/12, and 1/7 of his life doing various things, I am going to assume that his final age is divisible by all three.

84 is the LCM of 12 and 7, and I doubt he reached the age of 168 (or beyond!)

Does the math work?

child = 84/6 = 14

youth = 84/12 = 7

so now he is 21. Next is the tricky bit, was he married for 1/7 of his life and then had the baby? This doesn't make sense, but the math seems to work out better.

married = 12 years

waiting for baby? = 5 years.

At this point he is 38 and the baby is 0. When he is 76 the baby is 38, or 1/2 his age.

However, adding 4 to this doesn't get to 84. However if you assume that the age at which the son dies is 1/2 the age at which dad dies, then the son dies at 42 - at which point Diophantes is 80. Four years after junior dies, the dad kicks it at 84.

QED. Sort of.

Edited by xucam

I don't think that OP needs a correction

First I assumed that he stood married till end of his life, but after calculation, I saw that this is impossible. After reading OP again, I noticed that he may not be married to death. So I calculated again and found that he stood married for only 12 years and answer is 84.