BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

hello one and all!

The Setting:

O.K., the year is...well 2009, and there is an old fashioned dinner party (like the one in the movie Clue based on the game) where nothing "new age" is allowed into the party at Thatcher Manor. There are 6 guests at the party with 3 servants (including the cook) and a host by the name of Thadeus. the names of the people at the party are as follows:

The Residence:

Thadeus - the host of the party with a taste for 20's themed parties

Sofie - the rather beautifle maid-servant to the head of the houshold of the manor

Jeeves - the butler for the manor, think's his name is a bit cliche for his occupation

The Guests:

Detective Spencer - the greatly known detective of English decent with the abilty to solve any case, though for this one he might need the aid of you, yes YOU.

Fredward Desmund - the novelist whose books end up killing their occupants (the characters) and leaves the reader to figure out the murderer, like in Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None

Claire Savanah - the former heiress to a multi-million $ company that supports the causes (i.e. charity events) of the Thatcher Manor and has now inherited the company and was always rather supercilious.

Naomi Spencer - the lucky winner in a contest irrelevant to what must be solved. She is shy at a 5'8" (english system) but is rather talkative if the occasion hits her.

Augustice "Gus" Maylor - the representative of the PTP organization (preserve the past). he is usually quite polite until someone derides him about his love for antiques and or when someone belittles a priceless artifact. he is there on account that he recieved an invite and that the house is filled with priceless artifacts from the early century and beyond that.

The Plot:

Dinner has been served. Thadeus and the guests have retired to the lounge when the doorbell is heard. Of coarse, Jeeves, the butler, answers the door. Immediately after the door is opened, a man staggers in the foyer and dies on the floor in the middle of the room. It is up to you, yes YOU, and the detective to solve 3 things:

1) Who killed the man

2) Why they killed him

and 3) Who is the man?

The Rules:

Throughout the investigation you, the helpers of Detect. Spencer, will be able to question the guests as the night goes on (it is night until the mystery is solved or the last hint is given). You will also be able to ask yes or no questions that relate to the context of hints or the infromation at the beginning of the topic. One last thing, you cannot just guess at the answers to the questions, you have to provide some logic to your answer. Now solve this case!

wait, what does thadeus mean by "a ma--" ?

Send Thadeus back into the foyer and have Group II meet with him there. Their priority is to stay safe for now. Then have the rest of Group I pursue the figure in the woods immediately. He must not escape!

i'm on it!

Thadeus goes back to group II in the foyer...make that the lounge, it's more fortified...

The others are pursuing the mysterious figure. They catch him. Anyone wanna hazard a guess as to who it is?

oh yeah...the -- in "a ma--" means that he stopped in the middle of his sentence. he was going to say, "a mask"

Edited by No1slight

Thadeus goes back to group II in the foyer...make that the lounge, it's more fortified...

The others are pursuing the mysterious figure. They catch him. Anyone wanna hazard a guess as to who it is?

By now I hope I can ask them questions. "Who is the person?"

Stephano?

If not, I command them to unarm him, bind him securely, and return him back into the house. But keep him in the foyer and Thadeus in the lounge, who knows that he may have some last minute tricks up his sleeve to kill Thadeus.

Edited by James T

By now I hope I can ask them questions. If not, I command them to unarm him, bind him securely, and return him back into the house. But keep him in the foyer and Thadeus in the lounge, who knows that he may have some last minute tricks up his sleeve to kill Thadeus.

OK, The man was searched and he has nothing more on him. he is then bound to a chair and is now ready for questioning (there is no way he can escape)

1) Who killed Thatcher? Stephano

2) Motive? Money

3) Dead man? Thatcher

4) Masked figure? still unknown but i'll just give it to you since it's probably obvious. it's stephano's late assistant.

now put it all together with logic :lol:

Edited by No1slight

OK, The man was searched and he has nothing more on him. he is then bound to a chair and is now ready for questioning (there is no way he can escape)

Well find out who he is.

tell him: "if you cooperate with us fully, there will be far more lenient consequences... being that you've already been caught and we can turn you in at any moment."

Then read him his miranda rights... :P

Questions:

Did you kill Thatcher?

Why did you/other person kill Thatcher?

Who killed the cook?

Well find out who he is.

tell him: "if you cooperate with us fully, there will be far more lenient consequences... being that you've already been caught and we can turn you in at any moment."

Then read him his miranda rights... :P

Questions:

Did you kill Thatcher?

Why did you/other person kill Thatcher?

Who killed the cook?

stephano doesn't look like he's going to admit anything...

we need to bind up all the clues and (mainly) the answers to the 4 questions.

Edited by No1slight

stephano doesn't look like he's going to admit anything...

we need to bind up all the clues and (mainly) the answers to the 4 questions.

are we allowed to use force? torture? beat? pull teeth out? swing lamp back and forth? good detective bad detective?

Stephano killed Thacher, and his assistant (I'm calling the assistant Joe). He killed Thacher because he wanted Thacher's money. He killed Joe because Joe probably wanted cut of the money, and Stephano didn't want to share. The Chef was killed by Joe, why I can only speculate. Perhaps Chef got too close to finding the will, or saw Thacher get murdered.

Story time~

Stephano needed money, and since he helped Thacher write the will, knew that the party Thadeus was throwing would be the best chance to kill both Thacher and Thadeus.

Maybe Stephano was blackmailing Thacher into writing the will...with Stephano as one of the beneficiaries. That would explain why Stephano was on the will in the first place. I mean, why put your lawyer on your will? Wouldn't family and friends come first, and even if Thacher had Thadeus as his only friend, wouldn't he have given the money to charity instead of his lawyer? Am I the only one who thinks that is strange...am I anywhere near the truth here? :huh:

Stephano killed Thacher, and his assistant (I'm calling the assistant Joe). He killed Thacher because he wanted Thacher's money. He killed Joe because Joe probably wanted cut of the money, and Stephano didn't want to share. The Chef was killed by Joe, why I can only speculate. Perhaps Chef got too close to finding the will, or saw Thacher get murdered.

Story time~

Stephano needed money, and since he helped Thacher write the will, knew that the party Thadeus was throwing would be the best chance to kill both Thacher and Thadeus.

Maybe Stephano was blackmailing Thacher into writing the will...with Stephano as one of the beneficiaries. That would explain why Stephano was on the will in the first place. I mean, why put your lawyer on your will? Wouldn't family and friends come first, and even if Thacher had Thadeus as his only friend, wouldn't he have given the money to charity instead of his lawyer? Am I the only one who thinks that is strange...am I anywhere near the truth here? :huh:

Yes to all but the reason he killed his assistant.

lol q #5: Why did Stephano kill his assistant?

are we allowed to use force? torture? beat? pull teeth out? swing lamp back and forth? good detective bad detective?

no that would be rude...and we already have enough evidence to convict him

"Stephano killed his assistant so that he couldn't give away Stephano." - Blablah99

that isn't why

"I say you beat him and strap him to a lie detector. That'll make him cry! :thumbsup: " - Kittykat101

sorry no polygraphs around and beating him would be rude

"I know this is irrelevant. Can you change thee question "Who killed Thatcher" to 'Who wanted thatcher dead?'" - Blablalh99

either way the answer is the same

Yes to all but the reason he killed his assistant.

lol q #5: Why did Stephano kill his assistant?

He killed his assistant because his assistant was third on the will, after Thatcher and Stephano. He was afraid that the assistant might kill him. Sorta like the opening scene of the Dark Knight.

Either that or cutting the outside fusebox electrocuted him.

He killed his assistant because his assistant was third on the will, after Thatcher and Stephano. He was afraid that the assistant might kill him. Sorta like the opening scene of the Dark Knight.

Either that or cutting the outside fusebox electrocuted him.

still not right, if nobody gets it in 6 more posts then i'll just give it to you

Why was Joe holding a mask if the Mf's mask was found in the secret passage?

he was holding the mask because it was a new one.

Did Stephano's assistant kill Stephano? That would explain why he's so nervous. Joe would pose as Stephano to get the money.

no stephano is still alive, there is no way that stephano's assistant could pose as stephano considering the height difference and the fact that he's...well, he's dead.

either way the answer is the same

Does Stephano even have an assistant? Joe could be a random dead body that Stephano planted there. Check Joe's shoes.

Maybe Joe got nervous and was threatening to tell because he got a conscience.

Stephano: Can you tell us why your assistant was at the mansion in the first place? Can you tell us who would want him dead. Can you tell us if he had anything to do with the murders? Hypothetically, do you have any idea what couldve happened here tonight?

I know that it was determined who did the killings and who the mf is but maybe if we take a different approach, like they do on CSI, he will more likely talk hypothetically.

Does Stephano even have an assistant? Joe could be a random dead body that Stephano planted there. Check Joe's shoes.

yes stephano has an assistant. Joe's shoes are irrelevant right now

Maybe Joe got nervous and was threatening to tell because he got a conscience. that's not it

Stephano: Can you tell us why your assistant was at the mansion in the first place? Can you tell us who would want him dead. Can you tell us if he had anything to do with the murders? Hypothetically, do you have any idea what couldve happened here tonight? Stephano is never going to talk right now considering that he's already been found out. You can't really talk to anyone because it's now time for the people on the other side of the screen to find out the rest for themselves

I know that it was determined who did the killings and who the mf is but maybe if we take a different approach, like they do on CSI, he will more likely talk hypothetically. just look at the qs you asked stephano

3 more until I reveal why stephano killed his assistant. but you guys have some good guesses

Was the assistant threatening to blackmail Stephano?

no.

we have come to the final two

so now i will give a clue

think of a "job well done"

now we'll find out after one

"job well done" : does that mean he was electrocuted? But why did Stephano kill Thatcher?? Anyone have any ideas?

tell us! Stephano faked his assistant's death.

Let's see. We have 3 dead bodies. Thatcher, cook and Joe. Joe is mf. Stephano killed Thatcher, and cook. Joe was accomplice. Why did they die?

Stephano is the attorney. We do not know his financial status, but must not be that great to kill to get Thatcher's estate. But what else could it be that he wanted? And why did he need to kill Joe, if he killed Joe. Maybe the electrical wires fried Joe. They were cut and then fixed by Detective Spencer.

Stephano was a partner to Thatcher, maybe and he wanted more. Sounds dumb, but it happens. Thatcher couldnt be too greedy, because he let Thaddeus move in.

The next thing that we should figure out, is the attorney and Joe the only people that we should be focusing on? Is there another piece to the puzzle that we have overlooked.

Anyone have any input?

Also, a question. I thought that I read on one of the pages that Thaddeus was not the host of the party, but then it was said that he was. It is irrelevant, but jw.