BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

dreams

Question

It is -i think- part of our common experience that we sometimes dreaming that we dream something (i.e. i dream that i dream that i am an astronaut). In logical terms..................I dream that (i dream that i am an astronaut). Or -more precisely......................

I dream that (i dream that (i am an astronaut) ). In those cases, is the piece (i dream that (i am an astronaut) true or false; What's your opinion. At a first glance, it seems to me that it is true, but because of the external I dream that (the one outside the parenthesis).

14 answers to this question

if you dreamed you were an astronaught, then you dreaming you were an astronaught would be true.

But if you dreamed (you dreamed you were an astronaught)

I don't see why it would be false.

Whilst you dream, everything in that dream is true to the dream.

So you dreaming in a dream would still be true to the dream.

I think you could dream (you dreamed(you were an astronaught)) X times and it still be true.

That's just my opinion though.

There's a story you would love called Menelaiad by John Barth. It's all about "the story within 'the story within "the story within 'the story'"'"

It's about Helen of Troy returning to King Menalaus, and whether the whole Trojan war even happened, or did Menelaus dream it... AWESOME!

anyone had any interesting dreams lately?

this morning i had some weird kind of action-packed dream where there was these murderers and they were barbecuing this baboon

the funny thing was i woke up a few times, so while i was dreaming i knew it was a dream

I love dreams, had some weird ones when I was young

1 - on the wa to school or at scholl i wld realise I had no shoes on and wld hope no one wld notice

2 - I dreamt the harder I walked against the wingd the more it pushed, the less I tried the less it blew - i never got any where

the weirdest two

1 - wld ake up and feel a cat creping on the bed and eventually on top of me, the more I tried to move the heavier it got i eventually wld relax and go back to sleep

2 - I evetually learnt to deal with this dream, I just grabed the head-board and made the tension go way by squeezing it as hard as I cld and hen went back to sleep

3 - same dream = since about nine i think, and was at a hotle in my mid twenties - the dream made me grab the head-board again as usual and went back to sleep. When I woke up as a voice said I was a beautiful angel - I realised that there was no head-board ???? Did i really wake up and grab the head-board in all those other dreams all those years - I do not have them anymore Im glad to say

other dreams I had, i cant share - but they were the best realtionships i ever had - dreams ROK!

I love dreams, had some weird ones when I was young

1 - on the wa to school or at scholl i wld realise I had no shoes on and wld hope no one wld notice

2 - I dreamt the harder I walked against the wingd the more it pushed, the less I tried the less it blew - i never got any where

the weirdest two

1 - wld ake up and feel a cat creping on the bed and eventually on top of me, the more I tried to move the heavier it got i eventually wld relax and go back to sleep

2 - I evetually learnt to deal with this dream, I just grabed the head-board and made the tension go way by squeezing it as hard as I cld and hen went back to sleep

3 - same dream = since about nine i think, and was at a hotle in my mid twenties - the dream made me grab the head-board again as usual and went back to sleep. When I woke up as a voice said I was a beautiful angel - I realised that there was no head-board ???? Did i really wake up and grab the head-board in all those other dreams all those years - I do not have them anymore Im glad to say

other dreams I had, i cant share - but they were the best realtionships i ever had - dreams ROK!

These were not dreams ha ha ha ha :lol: JK.

I usually don't remember dreams. Not sure how they will turn out. I hate nightmares. You actually believe it is real until you awaken. One could have a heart attack or anything while i.e. falling off of a cliff or being eaten by a shark.

These were not dreams ha ha ha ha :lol: JK.

I usually don't remember dreams. Not sure how they will turn out. I hate nightmares. You actually believe it is real until you awaken. One could have a heart attack or anything while i.e. falling off of a cliff or being eaten by a shark.

Nightmares as long as you have dreams too are a bit OTT but having gone 7 years without them due to being exhausted all the time - Ill take the dreams anytime with the nightmares too, its awful not dreaming - dont have nightmares as such now - just bad dreams

I once dreamt my first daughter had jumped out the window at the age of two - we lived on the 9th floor and that freaked me big time. I laid there a minute trying to hear her moving or breathing in the next room - bad bad bad dream

Edited by Lost in space

Frost: yeah same here, but the whole concept is still cool ;D

Oh, yeah, dreams are awesome. Especially if you can control them(basically choose what you want to happen), which is actually possible, just hard to do. I think the trick is to realizing that you're in a dream while you're still in it. Then you can do whatever you want! That would be awesome. B))

Some dreams are so darn cool or excellent that they don't last long enough. I wonder why it seems like the best ones are the shortest ones. Maybe I'm just being greedy. I believe that all people dream nearly as much the same. Frost maybe just can't recall the dreaming and maybe just not aware or privy to it? No matter what, it would be stupid, if people just went to bed with eyes open, and had nothing at all on their minds. We would be like robots. :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by akaslickster