BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Masterword

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must have been distracted when I submitted the last post. I don't believe 'versigy' is a word. The word was supposed to be 'versify'. But it matters little. It wasn't the answer.

I am wondering now if you could be a bit versute ([adj.] crafty, wily, cunning; artful) in your word selection. But sticking to words still in (somewhat) common usage:

merrily

I'm out of possibilities unless one of the words was scored wrong. every vowel but y has been eliminated and we know there is an S.

So the word has to be 4 letters with only a Y as a vowel and an S somewhere other than the 1st spot. The only words I know of that fit this have a w in them as well, so if whys only scored 2 I don't have anything else.

Hopefully my logic helps someone else :-p

pour -

soil - o

grit -

toil -

lake -

whys - xo

wyns - xo

Have you ever heard of the saying "A, E, I, O, U, sometimes Y, sometimes W"? :lol:

Though double-U's application as a vowel has long been replaced by the other vowels in Modern English, i.e., those words that retained the w as a vowel now being archaic or obsolete, there are two words that still exist - one being the plural of the other - as the base word is a "borrowed" word from the Welsh which still uses the w as a vowel. In some modern English dictionaries the word may be considered chielfly British, though it is also listed without that indication in other American English dictionaries. A definition of the word is "cirque; a steep bowl-shaped hollow occurring at the upper end of a mountain valley". A cirque sometimes resulted when a glacier would slowly toil over the soil, using the grit it would pour over to create a lake :P .