BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

There are three machines. One dispenses only apples and is labeled "Apples". One dispenses only oranges and is labeled "Oranges". And the third dispenses both apples and oranges at random and is labeled "Mixed".

Now, all the signs have been mixed around so that none of the machines has the correct cover on it.

If you only had one chance to dispense from one machine, which would you take fruit from in order to figure out what the other two machines would dispense?

Edited by JiYoonIt

5 answers to this question

I would take fruit from the one marked Mixed.

Since ALL the labels are wrong, that would tell me everything I needed to know. For example, if there was an orange in the machine, then the machine labeled apples would be mixed, and the machine labeled oranges would be apples. Conversely, if there was an apple in the machine, then the machine labeled oranges would be mixed, and the machine labeled apples would be oranges.

There are two combinations, if no machine has the right label on it.

Correct Combo1 Combo2

Orange Apple Mix

Apple Mix Orange

Mix Orange Apple

If you choose the machine named Mix. Whatever fruit you get will tell you which machine it is. Suppose you get apple out, then that machine originally is Apple. The rest two machines (since they do not have the right label) will tell what are their original labels.