BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

1. What travels as fast as light? (two answers)

2. What stays up and never falls?

3. What hurts but is good for you?

4. What gets brighter but never darker? (normally)

5. What only transfers to cold but never to hot?

6. What starts thick beginning a year, and shrinks thinner, only to grow thick again towards the end?

7. What stays the same even though it is constantly added and subtracted from?

• Answers 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5. heat

6. snow

7. mass

5. you got it! good job!

6. i guess that works but i was thinking of something else can you guess?

7. mass is never added or subtracted from, it stays constant, but nice idea

1. space

4. stars

6. prob wrong but i realize that nighttime would be more appropriate

7.i was thinking conservation of energy or something like that, i forget what i learned last year, is it matter?

would think that ice would work.If one was in the northern hemisphere.

Thought and time

GREAT! the first one is right the second one is darkness.

All the answers have been found at this point. However, feel free to continue guessing. I will reveal the intended answers now.

1. What travels as fast as light? (two answers)

2. What stays up and never falls?

3. What hurts but is good for you?

4. What gets brighter but never darker? (normally)

5. What only transfers to cold but never to hot?

6. What starts thick beginning a year, and shrinks thinner, only to grow thick again towards the end?

7. What stays the same even though it is constantly added and subtracted from?

Answers: darkness and thought

the sky

vaccine

the morning

heat (other answer cam up by you guys: ice/snow)

the clothes you wear or your sheets

salinity of the oceans

Variations of these answers may be argued, but these are the answers I originally intended when creating these riddles.

You have suggested that clothes, blankets, snow etc. are correct, but this only works in the northern hemisphere, the opposite would be true in the southern hemisphere.

the centre of a diary.

(Thick at the beginning of the year, as all the pages are at the rear of the diary. In the middle of the year the pages are equal, and at the end of the year all the pages are at the front)

You have suggested that clothes, blankets, snow etc. are correct, but this only works in the northern hemisphere, the opposite would be true in the southern hemisphere.

the centre of a diary.

(Thick at the beginning of the year, as all the pages are at the rear of the diary. In the middle of the year the pages are equal, and at the end of the year all the pages are at the front)

You are right! I forgot about the northern and southern hemisphere's season differences. However, I do not understand your answer. May you explain it in a clearer way?

i think what norm means is the amount of pages on either side of the page you are writing on changes throughout the year

If it is that, then what if the diary was started in the middle of the year before? Then it would not work. However, I do admit that the answer intended for this question was flawed.

I think it's like a bush/tree. They are real thick during summer, they shed during winter, and then they grow back in summer again. >.<

Nice try but there is something simpler, but the answer for this one is flawed.

You are right! I forgot about the northern and southern hemisphere's season differences. However, I do not understand your answer. May you explain it in a clearer way?

Difficult to explain, but I'll try to clarify.........

If you consider the type of diary that has 1 page per day, then on January 1, the book would have 364 days in the right hand section, this would be relatively thick. As one gets towards June the pages on the left and right would be equal, so the overall height of the book would be relatively slimmer. Than as we approach December 31 all the pages would be to the left and again the height of the overall book would be relatively thick.

If the book is 20mm thick closed, then on January 1 the height be almost 20mm, in June / July the height would be 10mm each side. In December, the book would be back around 20mm.