BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

bonanova

Question

If I arrange four matches perpendicularly end to end, [forming a square] I make four right angles.

If I move parallel matches inward, pairwise, [making a # figure - tic-tac-toe] I make sixteen right angles.

How many right angles can be made from just three matches?

If I arrange four matches perpendicularly end to end, [forming a square] I make four right angles.

If I move parallel matches inward, pairwise, [making a # figure - tic-tac-toe] I make sixteen right angles.

From the above layout, removal of 1 match stick will leave 8 right angles with the three remaining sticks.

I'd say that, assuming it is in one plane, that it would be 8. With 2 matches, we'd have 4 right angles; with 4 matches, we'd have 16 right angles. So, assuming this is all in one plane again, we'd have 2^(number of matches), being 3 in this case, so 8 right angles.

I'd say that, assuming it is in one plane, that it would be 8. With 2 matches, we'd have 4 right angles; with 4 matches, we'd have 16 right angles. So, assuming this is all in one plane again, we'd have 2^(number of matches), being 3 in this case, so 8 right angles.

(spam/ ahh, every riddle I get to is already answered..stupid time restrictions.)

I agree.

I also agree

I don't think that you can assume that since the original transform was described as being in a single plane, that the answer to the riddle should be so constrained. (given that match sticks have width, the tic-tac-toe arrangement is not really in a single plane)

I think that going from the square to tic-tac-toe in a single plane was a red herring, to keep people from thinking about a more novel solution.

'How many can you make' implies that the riddle seeks the highest number that can be made from three matches.The problem is trivial if confined to a single plane.

8 is not the most you can make with 3 matches. 12 is. Unless you split each match down the middle, and ...

Since you did not specify they have to be laying down, I'd say 12.

Put one vertical and two horizontal.

I dunno...

I can get you 8 right angles out of two match sticks...and 24 from three.

Wet the matches thoroughly, and bend them to fit the outside of a sphere, so that the ends touch on the opposite side.

Now you have 4 right angles where they cross, and another four right angles where they touch on the other side.

Now stick a third matchstick through the middle (sticking out both 'poles'), and you'll add another 16 right angles, for a total of 24.

:D

it does not says the match sticks are straight.

I can have a zig zak match sticks with 90 degree angles and make as many right angles as i want

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ --- match stick 1

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ --- match stick 2

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ --- match stick 3

:)

it does not says the match sticks are straight.

I can have a zig zak match sticks with 90 degree angles and make as many right angles as i want

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ --- match stick 1

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ --- match stick 2

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ --- match stick 3

:)

You can bend a matchstick that many times?

I'd think the wooden ones would break, and the paper ones would just fall apart. Seriously...I'd think I could get about 5 right angles max out of a single matchstick, if I had needle nose pliers and a few minutes.

12. you need 3D

:rolleyes:

The problem with saying 12 is that the OP states that the max is 16 with 4, can you not create more that 16 right angles in three dimensions with 4 sticks?

The OP said that if they took the square formation and moved to the tic-tac-toe then you got 16 - not that that was a maximum/

The problem with saying 12 is that the OP states that the max is 16 with 4, can you not create more that 16 right angles in three dimensions with 4 sticks?

Actually...I'm not sure you can, not with the sticks still straight in all three dimensions. I have no proof for that, just an intuition. I'd be interested in someone showing that 4 straight sticks in 3D could give more than 16.

Something other than my solution above of wrapping the sticks around a spherical surface.

Edit: Of course, the more dimensions you add, the more right angles you could have. Placing another stick in an additional dimension could give you three sticks all at right angles to each other in the XYZ grid, and a fourth stick at right angles to them all in the other dimension :)

Edited by brotherbock

Assuming we stay in three dimensional space (which, of course, matchsticks exist in), then no actually.

I was thinking about this myself earlier and wondering if there is any formula for right angles given n matchsticks. I got as far as 3 matchsticks gives 12, 4 gives 16, 5 gives 24, 6 gives 32 and then, not having a piece of paper, decided to stop before I got a headache.

I don't think there is a formula, but would be interested if anyone can show one...

Assuming we stay in three dimensional space (which, of course, matchsticks exist in), then no actually.

I was thinking about this myself earlier and wondering if there is any formula for right angles given n matchsticks. I got as far as 3 matchsticks gives 12, 4 gives 16, 5 gives 24, 6 gives 32 and then, not having a piece of paper, decided to stop before I got a headache.

I don't think there is a formula, but would be interested if anyone can show one...

Eh, I still say 2 sticks gives 8, 3 sticks gives 24, 4 sticks gives...(adding)...40, 5 sticks gives 56, and possibly etc. :)

With the matchsticks wrapped around or sticking through a sphere.

Edited by brotherbock