BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Two men are standing around a round table. They have infinite cigarettes and playing a game so that each of them will place a cigarette on the table in turn. (one by one). Untill to a point that thereis no enough place on the table to place an additional cigarette. The guy who places the last cigarette will won. If you were the first player what would your strategy be?

ps:overlapping is banned.

9 answers to this question

Two men are standing around a round table. They have infinite cigarettes and playing a game so that each of them will place a cigarette on the table in turn. (one by one). Untill to a point that thereis no enough place on the table to place an additional cigarette. The guy who places the last cigarette will won. If you were the first player what would your strategy be?

It would depend on dimensions of cigarettes and diameter of table. With the give information, there is no way to be able to determine whether there will be an even or odd # of cigarettes by a given pattern. There are several ways to do it, but if I am going first and I want to go last as well, I need to know how many cigarettes I can make the table accomodate.

Place the first cigarette with its midpoint at the center of the circle.

Every placement your opponent makes after that, place a radially symmetric cigarette.

Same as if you held his cigarette still and rotated the table 180 degrees.

In that way you can match all of his moves and make the last successful placement.

;)

Since the op doesn't specify "how" you put the ciggy on the table, if I were last, I'm sure I could find a small enough space on the table to put the last ciggarette standing up instead of laying down....right?

Every placement your opponent makes after that, place a radially symmetric cigarette.

In that way you can match all of his moves and make the last successful placement.

An odd corollary (pardon the pun) to this is that IF you place the first cigarette in the center of the table, THEN the number of cigarettes that the table can hold will be odd.

That seems counter-intuitive, but if the mirror-image move theory is correct it has to be so.

Of course you have to be able to accurately place your symmetrical moves, and your hand might have to be steady near the edges, but the theory seems sound.

This is the answer.

An odd corollary (pardon the pun) to this is that IF you place the first cigarette in the center of the table, THEN the number of cigarettes that the table can hold will be odd.

That seems counter-intuitive, but if the mirror-image move theory is correct it has to be so.

Of course you have to be able to accurately place your symmetrical moves, and your hand might have to be steady near the edges, but the theory seems sound.

That's only if you follow the mirror image pattern of placing. I can imagine other none-symetrical patterns that might leave an even number - eg (on a table that can fit 9 cigarettes tightly packed:

|   |
|
| |
|
| |[/codebox]

Imagine the lines are a bit longer, so you can't fit any cigarettes in between ;)