BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

The Riddle of the Sphinx

Question

HA! Pretty old one. I was told this when I was 6. I heard it like this though:

What walks on 4 in the spring, 2 in the summer, and 3 in the winter.

Good one though if you've never heard it.

Answer

A man/human. They crawl when young, walk on 2 legs when adult, and use a cane when old.

Let's try something a bit harder - it goes on 3 when it's young, on 2 when it's older, and eventually on 4.

Also a man. It drives on a tricycle when it's young, on a bicycle when it's older, and in a car eventually. Of course that's not always true, but in standard western society.

I agree with writersblock about the answer but not the way it was told. but his retelling of it is close to mine so i will save time and not repeat it.

The oldest riddle ever, man.

"It's a Donkey....in the morning it has four legs, in the afternoon I cut two of them off, and in the evening I glue one of them back on....."

credit to Emo Philips for his unique answer. If you dont know Emo....just google him.

none then 4 then 2 then 3 then 6 then four wheels then none.

baby nothing, then crawl, then walk, then cane, then four poster/walker, then wheel chair/jazzy, then death.

Edited by karlhite

a man. Seriously, people, this is a VERY old riddle made by the sphinx in greek mythology. alot of people know it already. Haha, i just remembered the part in percy jackson and the olympians battle of the labyrinth, the one when Annabeth got mad at the sphinx... lol

---------------------------

"This one is a centaur in a prom dress, now that was a weird summer..."

- Annabeth Chase, daughter of Athena

OLD is just a matter of relativity ... Maybe someone have never heard of it before ... Maybe we have heard it when we were young and now we are old :P It was I must say a nice attempt and about reading a puzzle before posting, I can put it this way ... the lines should have read "Don't post any puzzle before you have gone thru the 80,000 puzzle that is here and you remember all of them" ... That was just an IDEA :P

OLD is just a matter of relativity ... Maybe someone have never heard of it before ... Maybe we have heard it when we were young and now we are old :P It was I must say a nice attempt and about reading a puzzle before posting, I can put it this way ... the lines should have read "Don't post any puzzle before you have gone thru the 80,000 puzzle that is here and you remember all of them" ... That was just an IDEA :P

By old I meant over a month old, like in the Important: READ BEFORE POSTING tag at the top. And as for reading all of the topics, no, it's called a search.

It walks on 4 when its young, walks on 2 when its older, and walks on 3 when its very old?

Answer: Man.

This one was old when I was a child. I knew it as the Riddle of the Sphinx.

Gollum asked Frodo this riddle when they were in the cave in The Hobbit! Easy! :P
I don't think Frodo met Gollum until the Two Towers. In fact, I don't even know if Frodo ever even showed up in The Hobbit, I've never reads the books. I think you mean Bilbo, right?

And I first heard this riddle in the movie Mirrormask. The answer is William, a performing dog. He walks on four legs in the morning, 2 legs for the afternoon show, and was limping on 3 legs in the evening because he hurt his paw.

The Sphinx disagreed, and said it was man, but the explanation shut him up for a bit.

Edited by harvey45

I mean,common people,this is from Sphynx in Greek Mythology,everybody knows that.

And it's not:"when it's young,and old...",it's:"in the morning,the afternoon and the evening".

And about that crap with the tricycle and bicycle and wheelchair...

I hate when people spoil good old stuff... <_<

Hey Wlado,

Welcome to BD!! This riddle has been posted a couple of times already.Just want to advise you to do a search with keywords such as 4 legs+ 3 legs+ 2 legs etc before you post a riddle to make sure it has not been posted before. Specific rules are posted in the sticky note titled "IMPORTANT read this before posting". Have fun posting more riddles!!!