BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

for each "thing listed the proper state of matter must be listed.

I know this sounds stupid but most people would get some wrong. (some are easy)

1. wood

2. metal

3. soda

4. glass

5. plasma

6. carbon dioxide

*7. jello

after 20 posts i will reveal the answers

p.s. also i am not sure about 7.

here is how you ranked (once i confirm)

0 - all i can say is :o :o :o

1 - again :o :o :o

2 - have you went to school?

3 - PRACTICE needed + some more school

4 - ok

5 - better

6 - awesome where i would rank

7 - genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

apparently glass is a liquid: just very, very viscous- if you look at the windows on old buildings, they're slightly thicker at the bottom where the glass has sunk down because they're liquids

oh yes... you can't have a very big glass window anymore for fear of breakage. the government has a set size or something :huh:

the man is trying to control the size of our glass.... :blink::mad:

must have a very high viscosity though.....

apparently glass is a liquid: just very, very viscous- if you look at the windows on old buildings, they're slightly thicker at the bottom where the glass has sunk down because they're liquids

Are you sure? I heard that myth about windows in old buildings when I was growing up, but everything I can find from sciency people says its not true ( http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Gene...lass/glass.html, http://www.jimloy.com/physics/glass.htm ). And based on a New York Times article I read, scientists still haven't decided how to classify glass. So soccer11smart, do you have anything to back up your claim that glass is a liquid? I hope I'm not being too rude, but before you tell people they're giving the wrong answer, maybe you should look it up.

Are you sure? I heard that myth about windows in old buildings when I was growing up, but everything I can find from sciency people says its not true ( http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Gene...lass/glass.html, http://www.jimloy.com/physics/glass.htm ). And based on a New York Times article I read, scientists still haven't decided how to classify glass. So soccer11smart, do you have anything to back up your claim that glass is a liquid? I hope I'm not being too rude, but before you tell people they're giving the wrong answer, maybe you should look it up.

many believe it is unclassified but all three sites i checked on before posting this topic said that glass is a liquid.

i am sure many will disagree on this topic but here i wrote this to show people their knowledge of science not to start a war of whether glass is a solid or liquid.

There seems to be a fuzzy line between solids and liquids. Lots of solids can flow (like ice for instance). I wonder what would happen if you left a plate of jello at room temperature for several years. Anyone tried it?

Jello and glass share many qualities. They are both amorphous solids. When I went to school, (oh so many years ago) at least, they were.
Not to mention both transparent. Makes you wonder why they don't just make windows out of jello really. It would certainly make them shatter-proof.

Not to mention both transparent. Makes you wonder why they don't just make windows out of jello really. It would certainly make them shatter-proof.
And the Glass for puddings would be splatter-proof

Anyone miss me? No? Good.

I haven't read most of the other posts, so excuse me if this is repetitive.

1. wood = escuse me while I do some research on this one... Quite frustratingly, the Webster.com definition of solid involving states of matter pretty much says "neither a liquid nor a gas"

Okay, so what I'm looking for is: Wood is organic, and another definition I got of solid involves molecular soundness, in which the molecules stay packed together with fixed shape and volume. But wood is composed of cells, and there may be molecules within the cells, but those aren't what's holding it together (or so I believe)

Any thoughts on this one?

2. metal = Any of the three, really.

3. soda = Liquid, and gas, I suppose, from the Co2 gas bubbles.

4. glass = I suppose this one is arguable, or there was some controversy, but being solid doesn't mean to be immaluable. Just because the glass appears to "melt" doesn't make it a liquid.

5. plasma = Plasma IS a state of matter.

6. carbon dioxide = any of the three

*7. jello = same as glass, but moves faster. I take it as a solid, though, because it has a fixed volume, unlike gas, and after it sets or whatever, doesn't really adapt to its container, like liquids.

Anyone miss me? No? Good.

I haven't read most of the other posts, so excuse me if this is repetitive.

1. wood = escuse me while I do some research on this one... Quite frustratingly, the Webster.com definition of solid involving states of matter pretty much says "neither a liquid nor a gas"

Okay, so what I'm looking for is: Wood is organic, and another definition I got of solid involves molecular soundness, in which the molecules stay packed together with fixed shape and volume. But wood is composed of cells, and there may be molecules within the cells, but those aren't what's holding it together (or so I believe)

Any thoughts on this one?

2. metal = Any of the three, really.

3. soda = Liquid, and gas, I suppose, from the Co2 gas bubbles.

4. glass = I suppose this one is arguable, or there was some controversy, but being solid doesn't mean to be immaluable. Just because the glass appears to "melt" doesn't make it a liquid.

5. plasma = Plasma IS a state of matter.

6. carbon dioxide = any of the three

*7. jello = same as glass, but moves faster. I take it as a solid, though, because it has a fixed volume, unlike gas, and after it sets or whatever, doesn't really adapt to its container, like liquids.

Carbon dioxide wouldn't be a liquid at normal earth surface pressures. At pressures below 5.1 atm it sublimes directly from solid to gas.

I heard somewhere that a lot of things aren't exactly all one state of matter anyway. Take milk, for example: bits of solid fat in a liquid, but it seems to be all a liquid even though it isn't; so with things like jello, would it all be one state at room temperature?

Edited by lemonymelon