BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

When working on Bononova's puzzles in particular, I like that he can change the description line to update the progress of the puzzle and/or give clues and such. I understand that unlimited editing is impractical, but is there any way to allow ONLY editing of the topic description line? In lieu of that, is there a way to add a button of some sort to at least tag the puzzle solved?

I'm not entirely sure it would be generally beneficial to the community, and may be just a personal preference.

This may have been asked and answered, but I did several different searches and found nothing specific.

7 answers to this question

When working on Bononova's puzzles in particular, I like that he can change the description line to update the progress of the puzzle and/or give clues and such. I understand that unlimited editing is impractical, but is there any way to allow ONLY editing of the topic description line? In lieu of that, is there a way to add a button of some sort to at least tag the puzzle solved?

I'm not entirely sure it would be generally beneficial to the community, and may be just a personal preference.

This may have been asked and answered, but I did several different searches and found nothing specific.

I have posted many riddles and when I have a new one I put it in my signature and I color the number or otherwise mark that riddle as still unsolved.

If you noticed I put the hints for the treasure hunt there too. After the riddle is solved I remove the color of the number or as in the case of the treasure hunt I add the solution link...

:)

I remember it being brought up before, though I think the reason it doesn't exist is because it would have been difficult to implement without unlimited editing. I forget where that topic is...

It would be nice to wead out some older ones. Frankly, you can track any new topic and get updates of various frequencies, even get a daily sheet on a topic which is great for reading through quickly for games

Does it matter if it's solved? If you see that a puzzle (which may be a really cool puzzle) is solved, do you say "oh well someone else solved that puzzle" and skip it? BD isn't some kind of massive checklist where we work together to make the world a better place by reducing the number of unsolved puzzles :P Just the opposite. I don't care if someone else has solved the puzzle. And by definition, the original author of the puzzle at least should have solved it too because they made it - does that deter you?

I'm just acting devil's advocate here :) New features are always cool, but would you consider a puzzle differently because it's solved?

Does it matter if it's solved? If you see that a puzzle (which may be a really cool puzzle) is solved, do you say "oh well someone else solved that puzzle" and skip it? BD isn't some kind of massive checklist where we work together to make the world a better place by reducing the number of unsolved puzzles :P Just the opposite. I don't care if someone else has solved the puzzle. And by definition, the original author of the puzzle at least should have solved it too because they made it - does that deter you?

I'm just acting devil's advocate here :) New features are always cool, but would you consider a puzzle differently because it's solved?

I actually agree with you unreality(that's a first... ;) )....although most of the puzzles on here do have a certain trait about them where once someone has already solved it, the author of that puzzle will tend to pay less attention to any new posts on that subject. Its the other way around with a "riddle" (i.e. "why did the chicken cross the road...."), and in that case I could care less if it was solved or not. But for the puzzles, I guess it installs somewhat of a winning attitude if you are the first person to solve it, and then any others who attempt to solve it...its kind of like beating a dead horse.

Edited by Jrod_Writer13

You're right, of course. That was already swimming in my head when I posted originally, thus the self doubt. Like I said, I don't know that it's what is best for the Den. I, myself, would just find it useful in certain circumstances.

Sounds like a moot point, as it is too difficult to implement. I predicted that too.

Well, never hurts to ask. As long as you do it nicely... Gah! I didn't even say please. :blush:

Thanks for the input, see you all back in the riddles.