BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Prof. Templeton

Question

Prof. Templeton had two cubes on his desk that displayed the days of the month when arranged properly. He liked them so much that he decided to expand his set of cubes to also display the month. Three cubes were added so that they showed the standard three letter abbreviations for all the months of the year (jan, feb, mar, ect.) Can you figure out what letters were on the three new cubes so that all the month’s abbreviations could be displayed?

14 answers to this question

Prof. Templeton had two cubes on his desk that displayed the days of the month when arranged properly. He liked them so much that he decided to expand his set of cubes to also display the month. Three cubes were added so that they showed the standard three letter abbreviations for all the months of the year (jan, feb, mar, ect.) Can you figure out what letters were on the three new cubes so that all the month’s abbreviations could be displayed?

Good one! It made me think a little bit.

a, b, c, d, e, f, g, j, l, m, n, o, p, r, s, t, u, v, y; but this would give you 19 letters and 3 cubes only have 18 faces/sides. So... you would either pick the d or the p and eliminate it, because you can use the other letter and turn it upside down. Also, remember to use lowercase letters.

I thought the whole idea was that you have only 3 cubes with the letters, which leave you no spare sides. Therefore, only one side with n/u. How can you use it twice? Place couple of mirrors next to it, perhaps?

will have the n/u side, you would need this for jun anyway. You can capitalize the months if you want except for nov., but it will be uniform if you use all lowercase.

will have the n/u side, you would need this for jun anyway. You can capitalize the months if you want except for nov., but it will be uniform if you use all lowercase.

the point is

have 2 n/u sides, you have to reduce the number of letters some other way, which is done by having one d/p. The d/p is the way that you reduce the 19 letters to fit on 18 faces. If you go with capitalized first letters, which you mentioned a few posts back, you'll end up with MAr, MAy,NOv and you won't have the d/p, so I'm not sure it can be done. There may be an all-caps solution using C/U, but I haven't found it yet.

the point is
have 2 n/u sides, you have to reduce the number of letters some other way, which is done by having one d/p. The d/p is the way that you reduce the 19 letters to fit on 18 faces. If you go with capitalized first letters, which you mentioned a few posts back, you'll end up with MAr, MAy,NOv and you won't have the d/p, so I'm not sure it can be done. There may be an all-caps solution using C/U, but I haven't found it yet.

Your right, I don't think we can use capital letters at all after thinking about it some more.