BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Magnet

rookie1ja

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try rotating both the rods on ground. the one which always stops at one dedicated direction(which would be nprth0sputh and viceversa) that is magnet. the other one which would stop at different direction is iron rod.

• 7 months later...

I thought about this all day, and after coming up with a solution I was surprised to come home and read that the provided solution actually seemed much more complicated than the one I came up with, it's usually the other way around.

Alternate solution: Break one or both rods and the one who's pieces attract or repel eachother is your magnet.

Thats really good, but how would you break the rods? If they were skinny enough you might be able to snap it, but if it were too thick and you dropped it or banged it around you would mess up the domains, making it no longer a magnet.

• 3 months later...

Magnetize temporarily. if you work out a set of combinations it would not be difficult to rule out the non magnetic rod. since the temporary magnet would not have a fixed north and south pole if re magnetized to check for combinations.