BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Magnet

rookie1ja

Wouldn`t one end of the magnetic bar be positively charged and the opposite end be negatively charged.

The non-magnatized bar would be attracted on the positive end and repelled on the negative end.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm...this one's a tricky one.

Maybe hold one near the other, and see if you feel a pull with the one you're holding. If you do, the other one is magnetic. If you don't, it's the one your holding.

That's only a guess.

Magnets are dipoles - therefore only one rod would repel and attract at its opposite ends. put the rods perpendicular to each other and turn on 180 degrees - if doing so goes from attraction to repulsion you know you have the magnet - if both ends either repel or attract - you know you have the non-magnet

WELL. i dont know about you, but i imagine myself wearing jeans; therefore, i have a metal button. they only said there was no other metal in THE ROOM specifically, and i am not a peice of THE ROOM.

you can do it with nothing else than the rods.

assuming the magnetic field is strong enough for you to feel the attraction between the 2 rods.

here's how:

you place 1 iron rod on the floor (or ground, whatever)

and slide the end of the second rod slowly along with the iron rod on the ground, without touching it.

the attraction is weaker at the middle of the magnetic rod, because thats where the poles cancel eachother out.

So, if the magnetic rod is lying on the floor, you will feel greater attraction at each end of the the stationary rod.

and if the non-magnetic rod is lying on the floor you will feel equal attraction at any place on the rod because you are always affecting it with the same pole.

This does assume that the magnetic force is enough for you to feel it. if it isn't then the gravitational field of the earth is your only option.

Magnet - Back to the Logic Puzzles

This is a logic puzzle published in Martin Gardner's column in the Scientific American.

You are in a room where there are no metal objects except for two iron rods. Only one of them is a magnet.

How can you identify this magnet?

Well, magnets are stronger at the poles, and so you simply need to rub the two rods together. Firstly you take Rod A and hold it horizontally. Then you take Rod B and rub its one pole against the one pole of Rod A. Then, if you move Rod B along Rod A horizontally and the attraction becomes less, then you know that Rod A is the magnet. If the attraction stays the same, then Rod B has to be the magnet.

----------------

Now playing: Laser Inc - Det Var En G?ng En Liten F?gel (Remix)

via FoxyTunes

This is too easy. Metal can be magnetized by staying in contact with a magnet. Magnets are polar.

Connect the rods for several hours. The non-magnetized rod will be magnetized in this way.

The rods are touching. Remove one rod, and turn it around. If the one you are holding is the magnet it will repel the other rod. If both ends of the rod you are holding attract to the same end of the rod that it was attached to, it is not the magnet.

Bring ends of the rods together and see if it attacts or repels. Now for one of them show the opposite end. If it attracts it is just a rod. Turn the other rod's opposite and if it repels it is a magnet. Basically, the solution is to show opposite ends together one at a time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I thought about this all day, and after coming up with a solution I was surprised to come home and read that the provided solution actually seemed much more complicated than the one I came up with, it's usually the other way around.

Alternate solution: Break one or both rods and the one who's pieces attract or repel eachother is your magnet.

You can break metal bars then can you?

still simplle one is that:

1)take those in hands which one is greater is ofcourse iron rod

2)hit them in floor all most every one hear the sound when hit by iron materials... then which sounds different is magnet

A rod shaped magnet has no magnetization in the middle. So take one rod and see if its middle and one end of the other rod attract each other. If they do, then the first rod is the simple metal. If they don't then the other way around.

• 2 weeks later...
WELL. i dont know about you, but i imagine myself wearing jeans; therefore, i have a metal button. they only said there was no other metal in THE ROOM specifically, and i am not a peice of THE ROOM.

I agree that this would be the fastest and most reliable way. It makes me wonder if any of these people actually tried their ideas!

Magnet - Back to the Logic Puzzles

This is a logic puzzle published in Martin Gardner's column in the Scientific American.

You are in a room where there are no metal objects except for two iron rods. Only one of them is a magnet.

How can you identify this magnet?

How old am I? What is the diameter of the rods?

I think I would put the end of one of them in my mouth and see if it reacts to my fillings. :D

• 2 weeks later...
I thought about this all day, and after coming up with a solution I was surprised to come home and read that the provided solution actually seemed much more complicated than the one I came up with, it's usually the other way around.

Alternate solution: Break one or both rods and the one who's pieces attract or repel eachother is your magnet.

i thought of exactly the same thing...and i agree with you.