BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

This is my first attempt at creating a puzzle, so bare with me. I believe there is only one solution though there is a chance I may have missed an alternative solution. However, you can rest assured that this problem is original, and in no where did I look up or alter a similar puzzle. Sorry, if it involves a lengthy read, I know I despise such things.

COPS AND ROBBERS:

A very physically fit, new cadet just left the police station at 11:10 pm; moving straight along the freeway excited about his first field work assignment. It may have just been trafficking work, but it was a nice start to his promising career. Later that night, the cadet came crashing through the front door demanding to the see the commander immediately. He began to tell his story:

He arrived at the site and noticed that there were only two houses in the neighborhood and no sign of any other life insight. The cadet then proceeded to go outside of his car and walked directly into the woods. On his return he noticed two people in one of the houses and only saw a single person in the other one. Then he looked over in shock as his squad car was missing, after not even five minutes had passed since he arrived on scene. He then had to run back to the station, and further explained that he knew it was one of the people in the house; seeing that they were the only ones around.

The commander immediately dialed the numbers of the houses, and after several complaints about waking them up at quarter after twelve, they soon arrived at the station. They all claimed to have seen the cop pull up, and that they were the only ones around, however their stories varied from one person to the next. Due to the immense stress of being accused of such a crime they immediately began to blame each other, so they were tested using a lie detector...The officer asked three questions: Who did it? What time was it done? and Who were you with at that time?...however, the lie detector only reported that they each said one truth, and two lies, yet did not determine which was the truth.

After seeing the results, the commander pondered for a moment then knew exactly who had taken the cadet's car.

Using the results, determine how the commander was able to figure out whom the thief was.

These are the results:

JON:

BILL stole the car

The car was reported stolen at 11:30

I was with KIRA

BILL:

Either JON or DAN stole the car

The car was reported stolen at 11:20

I was with DAN

KIRA:

DAN stole the car

The car was reported stolen at 11:30

I was with BILL

DAN:

BILL stole the car

The car was reported stolen at 11:20

I was with JON

I don't understand why would all the people lie at the police station when they were asked those questions if non of them did it?!

And I think you should post more riddles regardless of their difficulty! :)

yeah I agree, their motives are weak. All I could think of at the time was what I wrote, that they were stressed about being accused of such a crime, they began to blame each other and give alibis for themselves. Yet, I agree, still a weak motive...maybe I will post a few more on here, but it seems people like the several small easy puzzles better than a hard one that you cannot google. This forum is great for posting riddles where people have to do some research, or that are straightforward...there are some tough ones, but not many original works. :(

yeah I agree, their motives are weak. All I could think of at the time was what I wrote, that they were stressed about being accused of such a crime, they began to blame each other and give alibis for themselves. Yet, I agree, still a weak motive...maybe I will post a few more on here, but it seems people like the several small easy puzzles better than a hard one that you cannot google. This forum is great for posting riddles where people have to do some research, or that are straightforward...there are some tough ones, but not many original works. :(

Just be patient... there are a lot of members that appreciate a good difficult riddle. Tie the loose ends, post the riddle, wait for response, if no one is interested post a hint, someone will pick it up!

Some members don't log in every day, about 10-20 new members register everyday and maybe they'll do that to post at your riddle. Don't give up and have fun! :)

Edited by andromeda

Just be patient... there are a lot of members that appreciate a good difficult riddle. Tie the loose ends, post the riddle, wait for response, if no one is interested post a hint, someone will pick it up!

Some members don't log in every day, about 10-20 new members register everyday and maybe they'll do that to post at your riddle. Don't give up and have fun! :)

good advice

btw, there is about 10-50 new members every day (eg. yesterday 06/11/2008, 44 new members joined this forum)