BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

When I was a young boy, I played the silver ball .... oooops Wrong subject. lol

Anyway, back in the early days of computers, one of the first games that was created for them was "Scrambled Eggs" where a word is scrambled and you have to figure out what the word is. You get a score based on time and number of guesses. Problem was, sometimes a group of letters could be more than one word. We also looked at the game where you make as many words from another word as you can. Combining these 2 games is sort of like the modern game called "Text Twist".

That got us nerds thinking of some problems: At the time we stuck with 6 letters due to the speed of the computers we had at our disposal (main frames the size of a house)

1 - Are there any groups of letters (3 or more) that spell a legal word (in an English language dictionary) in every combo?

For instance TEA, EAT, ATE. This fails on TAE and ETA and AET so it doesn't work.

2 - Are there any groups of 6 letters that no other words can be formed from of 3 letters or more? (Never found one)

3 - What group of 6 letters forms the most 6 letter words? (6 was the most we words we came up with)

4 - What group of 6 letters forms the most 3 or more letter words total? (We had one that was 33 words)

Here is the deal, these questions have never been answered because everytime we thought we had them, we found out we were wrong.

This one is wide open for anybody wanting to have a go at it. Love to see what other people come up with.

12 answers to this question

Oh..dang... I read that as 3 letters was ok... but I see now it's not. <_<

Thanks!

Good word, though. I'm sure it'd have to be something obscure like that. Probably with a q not followed by a u or something equally strange...

For number 4...

I've gotten 48 words using the letters A E N R S T. Here is a list of the words that I got:

Ant

Ants

Are

Art

Arts

Ate

Ear

Earn

Earns

Ears

East

Eat

Eats

Era

Eras

Near

Nears

Neat

Nest

Net

Nets

Ran

Rant

Rants

Rat

Rate

Rates

Rats

Rest

Sane

Saner

Sat

Snare

Star

Stare

Tan

Tans

Tar

Tare

Tares

Tars

Taser

Tea

Tear

Tears

Teas

Ten

Tens

There may be more that I missed....

However, I have a question, can the letters be used more than once? Because if so...

such as stars, tanner, teaser, teasers, etc.

For number 4...

I've gotten 48 words using the letters A E N R S T. Here is a list of the words that I got:

Ant

Ants

Are

Art

Arts

Ate

Ear

Earn

Earns

Ears

East

Eat

Eats

Era

Eras

Near

Nears

Neat

Nest

Net

Nets

Ran

Rant

Rants

Rat

Rate

Rates

Rats

Rest

Sane

Saner

Sat

Snare

Star

Stare

Tan

Tans

Tar

Tare

Tares

Tars

Taser

Tea

Tear

Tears

Teas

Ten

Tens

There may be more that I missed....

However, I have a question, can the letters be used more than once? Because if so...

such as stars, tanner, teaser, teasers, etc.

I'm not sure, since the OP wasn't specific, but I'd assumed it had to be a 6-letter word. But now that I read it again, the OP just says a group of 6 letters.

Well done!

I'm not sure, since the OP wasn't specific, but I'd assumed it had to be a 6-letter word. But now that I read it again, the OP just says a group of 6 letters.

Well done!

You can make a six letter word out of it

ASTERN

For number 2

Would be the letters, Z Z Z Z Z Z.

You only asked for a group of letters, you never said that they had to form an actual 6 letter word :D

But I assume you meant for the 6 letters to form a word, in which case I have no idea.