BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Yoruichi-san

Question

One day during exams week at Redrum University, Y-san got a call on her cell phone from LIS. He said he had something important to tell her and that it was urgent. Probably wants to discuss mafia ideas, Y-san thought, but she agreed to meet him at a cafe at noon, before her next exam.

Y-san arrived at the cafe, ordered a coffee and waited. A few minutes later a tall handsome man with intensely blue eyes came up to her table. "Is someone sitting here?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'm waiting for someone." Y-san replied regretfully.

"Then, may I wait with you?" The young man asked, not missing a beat. Y-san smiled and nodded.

"I'm Patrick," the young man introduced himself, "Patrick Moriarty. But my friends call me Trick."

As they two talked, Y-san discovered that this man was intelligent, witty, and knowledgeable about everything under the sun, from String Theory to Neuro-psychology to the great Philosophers. She was enjoying herself immensely and completely lost track of time. Two hours later, she looked at the clock and realized she was late for her next exam.

"Oh, shoot! I have to go..." she told him apologetically, putting cash on the table and grabbing her jacket. "It was a pleasure talking to you!"

Trick smiled. "No, the pleasure was all mine," he responded. As she left, he murmured to himself "I'm sure we'll meet again..."

The next day, Y-san got a call to come in to the police station. When she got there, Police Chief Leroy informed her that LIS had been found dead that morning, shot to death by his own gun. The gun had been found lying next to LIS's right hand and the gunshot had been to his right temple. There had been powder burns on his right hand and the police were ruling it a suicide. The neighbors testified that they had heard a BANG at 1pm, but didn't think much of it, since LIS sometimes went out in his backyard to shoot at cans. They had been home all day and would have seen anyone entering or leaving the house. There had been a visitor, a young man, in a black convertible, but that had been around 10 in the morning. The maid had found the body when she went in to clean the next morning. There was nothing out of place in the room.

Apparently LIS had been part of a secret crime organization called the IETNAT. Due to his guilty conscience, he was considering turning state's evidence and entering the witness protection program. "Guess his guilt was too much for him," muttered Police Chief Leroy.

Y-san frowned. She asked to talk to the maid. The Police Chief looked confused, but obliged.

"Yeah," the maid responded to Y-san's question. "I did notice scraps of material lying on the ground...but it couldn't have killed him?"

"Yeah," said Police Chief Leroy. "Besides the scraps, there was nothing unusual in the room or in the house."

Y-san smiled.

"Oh no," the Police Chief groaned when he saw her expression. "I know what you're going to say...it wasn't a suicide, was it?"

Y-san shook her head. "No, it was murder."

Looks like IENTNAT has everyone stumped...:(

I'll work on a hypothesis. I was leaning toward "the bang" not being from a gunshot at all but a diversion. I just haven't done the research necessary to give a plausible explanation. Especially since your puzzles are clever. BTW is IENTNAT a reference to detective Conan? I'll try to work on this one.

I'll work on a hypothesis. I was leaning toward "the bang" not being from a gunshot at all but a diversion. I just haven't done the research necessary to give a plausible explanation. Especially since your puzzles are clever. BTW is IENTNAT a reference to detective Conan? I'll try to work on this one.

Hehe...actually it's a reference to all that class of anime...which I'm totally addicted to (and I'll admit I stole some of the ideas for these murders from...;P)

Well I haven't invested a-lot of time to it but here goes

the killer(s) shot LIS with a silenced gun or muffled the bang somehow and set up a balloon with dry ice or naphthalene inside. When the dry ice sublimed enough it would pop the balloon making a loud bang.

Or

LIS was placed alive with the gun in his hand and against his head. Then a rubber cord went around his trigger finger around the barrel of the gun and around his head than around his chair or other object such that moving his head or moving the gun away from his head would put more pressure on his trigger finger. LIS held this position for as long as he could before the tension on his finger became too much and he shot himself severing the rubber cord with the bullet in the process (I'm not really sure how such an arrangement would look).

Well I haven't invested a-lot of time to it but here goes
the killer(s) shot LIS with a silenced gun or muffled the bang somehow and set up a balloon with dry ice or naphthalene inside. When the dry ice sublimed enough it would pop the balloon making a loud bang.

Wow, nice! That's what I was thinking...hehe, I love that stuff ;P

We've defeated IETNAT this time...but I'm sure they'll be back! B))