BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Death of a Salesman

unreality

Question

i made this up

a salesman is found dead! it was one of the other two salesmen in the room. There are two kinds of salesmen... Solicitors and Realtors. (Not my kinda people. lol...)

You don't know who is who. You know that each person can either be always lying (like a swindelcant) or always telling the truth (honestant).

Whether you're a Solicitor or Realtor does not affect if you are a Liar or a Truthteller.

The two people are A and B. Who is the murderer, and describe each person (example: Lying Solicitor, Truthtelling Solicitor, Lying Realtor, or Truthtelling Realtor)

A: I am not the murderer! B is a lying Solicitor!

B: You can trust everything A says.

Good puzzle! <!-- s:D --><!-- s:D -->

Here's my solution:

B is the honestant realtor. A is a swindelcant. A is also the murder and a solicitor.

My reasoning is thus: if one assumes A to be the honestant, then it creates a paradox with B’s statement. However, if B statement is true then A’s statement can also be coherent. Because A would be lying about the murder and about B’s ability to tell the truth/job.

BATTLE, n. A method of untying with the teeth of a political knot that would not yield to the tongue. -Devil's Dictionary

B can't be a truthteller. A truthteller can't say that someone calling him a liar can be trusted.

So now that we know B is a liar, we know that we can't trust everything A says, making A a liar also. There is not enough information to tell if A is a Solicitor or a Realtor.

B is either a Realtor, or not enough information is given, depending on one's analysis of what a liar can and can't say:

A. On one hand, a liar can say that a truthtelling Solicitor is a lying Solicitor, because that would be a lie (just a liar can say that a man that is a truthteller is a lying man).

B. On the other hand, a liar can't say that a truthtelling Solicitor is a lying Solicitor because he would be telling the truth about the truthtellers occupation (just as a liar can't say that a truthtelling man is a lying man, because he would be telling the truth about his gender).

So, following rationale A, all we know is that A is a lying murderer and that B is a liar.

or

Following rationale B, A is a lying murderer and B is a lying Realtor.

thanks guys!

and good solutions!

yes A is the murderer and they are both liars...

however i assumed we are dealing with the honestant/swindelcant approach to truthtellers and liars:

truthtellers: every segment of their statement is TRUE

liars: at least one segment of their statement is FALSE. Each "statement" has multiple segments, but they can have multiple statements in a sentence, it doesnt matter.

its like AND and OR... with AND, everything has to match, with OR, just one thing, though more is okay. Good thing we dont have XOR in swindelcant logic (that would be if one and only one segment is a lie... lol...)

therefore:

We know B is a liar. We know at least one thing he says is false. But he only says one thing... that A is trustworthy. Thus A is also a liar.

Now B's statement doesnt matter. We just look at A's statement:

Since A is a liar, AT LEAST one thing he says must be a lie.

We already know he is telling the truth about B being a liar. But remember, A talking about not being a murderer is an entirely different statement. You can have as many or as little statements in a conversation line as you want.

If they are different statements...

break it down:

A: I am not the murderer.

(So A is the murderer)

A: B is a lying solicitor!

(We know B is lying.... so A is telling the truth there. Thus he must lie in the other segment of the statement... meaning B is a Realtor)

Thus:

A = murderer, liar, unknown occupation

B = innocent, liar, realtor

Of course I should make the problem more complete by saying "You know at least one of them is a Solicitor"... then you guys would then be able to pin the Solicitor job to A... hmmm...

I'll lay down a set of rules for future Salesmen problems...

Truthtellers: every segment of every statement is the truth

Liars: at least one segment of EACH statement is a lie... therefore if you a Liar says 2 statements (they can be in the same sentence/line, or not) each statement MUST have at least one segment that is a lie

Total Liars: every segment of every statement is a lie... be careful with these, they could get very contradictory very fast...

--

Realtors:

>>>>>>>> Do not affect whether one is a Liar or Truthteller

Solicitors:

so anyone thinkin of a good Salesman problem?

i think i've got one...

you are playing a game, of sorts. You were pushed in a room via a door, and there are three doors in the room.

One of the doors is the door you were pushed in from; it's the Neutral Door, it just goes back to the world. Nothing bad about it. But nothing good either.

One of the doors is the Awesome Door. This has fame, glory, fortune, wealth, health, love, good luck, good food, knowledge, wisdom... anything and everything that makes you happy.

And one of the doors is the Bad Door. You drop for endless miles only to hit the ground hard in a smelly pit, yet you are kept long enough for the trickling water and smell and slow acid to make you go mad before you die. Yep, it's a Bad Door.

You do not know which door is which.

There are three salesmen in the room with you- one in front of each door. The salesmen only know what is behind their own door, they don't know what are behind the other two. Remember all the Salesmen are either Realtors or Solicitors, and they are all either Liars or Truthtellers (there are no Total Liars here).

Each salesman knows the identity of the other two, he knows if they are lying realtors or truthtelling solicitors, etc.

You know a Realtor is in front of the Awesome Door. A Solicitor is in front of the Neutral Door. Either one could be in front of the Bad Door, but you know the one in front of the Bad Door is a liar.

Call the three doors A, B and C, their matching salesmen are 1,2,3

Remember you don't know which door is which. The goal is to NOT go through the Bad Door, and IDEALLY go through the Awesome door, though if you have to go through the Neutral Door its not bad. Anyway, your solution must definitely take away the option of going through the Bad Door, lets just say that... the best solution would be one that guarantees you to go through the Awesome door

Oh yeah, you know there is a Solicitor in front of Door 2, his Solicitor badge fell out.

You can ask each Salesman ONE question...

what do you ask them?

Ask each man, "If five seconds ago I had asked you if you are standing in front of the Awesome Door, would you have answered 'yes'?" The man that answers "yes" is the man standing in front of the Awesome Door.

Ask each man, "If five seconds ago I had asked you if you are standing in front of the Awesome Door, would you have answered 'yes'?" The man that answers "yes" is the man standing in front of the Awesome Door.

any explanation there? lol

i mean why 5 seconds.. they dont switch doors or anything...

edit- martini i think you are wrong...

the liar in front of the Bad Door could just say "Yes" as well... he could say 'yes' or 'no'

you need to incorporate their professions into the questions, as well as the identity of at least one door, in order to solve it, i think...

any explanation there? lol

Sure, but if I gave an explanation, people wouldn't have to think about why my answer works. That's the fun part about riddles.

i mean why 5 seconds.. they dont switch doors or anything...

30 seconds would work too.

edit- martini i think you are wrong...

Well, that would be a first. :lol:

the liar in front of the Bad Door could just say "Yes" as well... he could say 'yes' or 'no'

Yes or no? So you're saying the liar can both tell the truth and lie? That would not follow the conditions of the riddle.

Explanation to my solution:

Let's assume a truthteller is in front of the Awesome Door. If you asked him my question, "If five seconds ago I had asked you if you are standing in front of the Awesome Door, would you have answered 'yes'?"

The truthteller would of course answer 'yes'. If the truthteller was in front of a non-Awesome Door, he would of course answer 'no'.

No let's look a how a liar would answer:

"If five seconds ago I had asked you if you are standing in front of the Awesome Door, would you have answered 'yes'.

If a liar was in front of the awesome door and I asked him 5 seconds ago how how he would have answered, he would have answered 'no'. But since I am asking him what he would have said, he can't tell the truth about that, so he would have to answer 'yes' ( a negative and a negative equals a positive).

Likewise, if he were standing in front a non-Awesome door, he would have to answer no. (He would have to lie about what he would have answered, which would have been a lie.)

So we don't need to concern ourselves with their professions and this puzzle can be solved by only asking two questions. If both the first and second man answer 'no', we will know that the third man is standing in front of the Awesome Door.

but more than one person can say "yes"

remember, for a lie to be a lie, only one segment of the statement has to be a lie, the rest can be truth.

for example, a liar who's name is Bob and has $2:

Question: "Is your name Bob and do you have $1?"

Bob could answer Yes. Sure his name is Bob, so thats true, but he has $2, not one. Thats where your solution is wrong. Maybe you should reread my description of "Liars" or the admin's description of "Swindelcants"

we know...

Door 1: unknown

Door 2: a solicitor stands here

Door 3: unknown

Awesome Door: realtor, unknown

Neutral Door: solicitor, unknown

Bad Door: unknown profession, LIAR

therefore Door 2 is NOT the Awesome Door... it is either the Neutral Door or Bad Door, since a solicitor is in front of Door 2, but a realtor is in front of the awesome door, so the Awesome door is either 1 or 3

ask person 1: are you a realtor standing in front of the awesome door?

ask person 2: are you a solicitor and is person 1 a liar?

ask person 3: is person 1 a solicitor?

i think this might work. not sure though.

if person 1 says yes, he is either a truthteller, and this is the awesome door, or he is a liar and a realtor in front of any door but the awesome door, or he is a liar and he is in front of the awesome door, but he is a solicitor. But this is impossible, as the person in front of the awesome door is a realtor, we know this for sure. Therefore if person 1 is a truthteller, he is a realtor-truthteller and this is the awesome door, if person 1 is a liar, then he is a solicitor-liar and this is the neutral or bad door.

now if person 1 says no...

if he is a truthteller, he is a solicitor standing in front of the bad or neutral door. But a liar stands in front of the bad door. So if he says no and is a truthteller, he is a solicitor standing in front of the neutral door (which we know there definitely is an S in front of the N door so that fits)

now if person 1 is a liar and said no, he is either a realtor standing in front of the neutral or bad door, or a solicitor standing in front of the awesome door- but this cant work, because a realtor is in front of the awesome door. The last option for him is to be a solicitor standing in front of either the neutral or bad door.

Therefore if person 1 says "no", door 1 is NOT the awesome door. And we know Door 2 is NOT the awesome door. So if person 1 says "no" you dont need to ask any more questions... the awesome door is door 3

so now suppose he said yes. Now if we find out if he is a truthteller, door 1 is the awesome door. If we find out he is a liar, door 3 is the awesome door.

i might have to rephrase questions 2 and 3... hmmm... i will post this and then continue this

but more than one person can say "yes"

Are you posting the above in regard to my solution? Only one person can answer 'yes' with my solution.

remember, for a lie to be a lie, only one segment of the statement has to be a lie, the rest can be truth.

For my solution that is irrelevant. All of my questions require only 'yes' or 'no' answers. There is only one segment to a one word answer.

for example, a liar who's name is Bob and has $2:

Question: "Is your name Bob and do you have $1?"

Bob could answer Yes. Sure his name is Bob, so thats true, but he has $2, not one. Thats where your solution is wrong. Maybe you should reread my description of "Liars" or the admin's description of "Swindelcants"

My solution is not wrong.

This is what you wrote (bolding mine):

Liars: at least one segment of EACH statement is a lie... therefore if you a Liar says 2 statements (they can be in the same sentence/line, or not) each statement MUST have at least one segment that is a lie

First of all, my solution fits the requirement because the liar's answer only has one segment.

Second, your above question is two questions in one sentence. Mine is one question about how he would have answered five seconds ago. There is not one segment that the liar can choose to answer. He must answer the one question I asked him.

we know...

therefore Door 2 is NOT the Awesome Door... it is either the Neutral Door or Bad Door, since a solicitor is in front of Door 2, but a realtor is in front of the awesome door, so the Awesome door is either 1 or 3

if person 1 says yes, he is either a truthteller, and this is the awesome door, or he is a liar and a realtor in front of any door but the awesome door, or he is a liar and he is in front of the awesome door, but he is a solicitor. But this is impossible, as the person in front of the awesome door is a realtor, we know this for sure. Therefore if person 1 is a truthteller, he is a realtor-truthteller and this is the awesome door, if person 1 is a liar, then he is a solicitor-liar and this is the neutral or bad door.

if he is a truthteller, he is a solicitor standing in front of the bad or neutral door. But a liar stands in front of the bad door. So if he says no and is a truthteller, he is a solicitor standing in front of the neutral door (which we know there definitely is an S in front of the N door so that fits)

now if person 1 is a liar and said no, he is either a realtor standing in front of the neutral or bad door, or a solicitor standing in front of the awesome door- but this cant work, because a realtor is in front of the awesome door. The last option for him is to be a solicitor standing in front of either the neutral or bad door.

Therefore if person 1 says "no", door 1 is NOT the awesome door. And we know Door 2 is NOT the awesome door. So if person 1 says "no" you dont need to ask any more questions... the awesome door is door 3

so now suppose he said yes. Now if we find out if he is a truthteller, door 1 is the awesome door. If we find out he is a liar, door 3 is the awesome door.

i might have to rephrase questions 2 and 3... hmmm... i will post this and then continue this

so if person 1 said NO, door 3 is Awesome

so this is all if person 1 said YES...

copying my description of what the deal is if he said yes:

"if person 1 says yes, he is either a truthteller, and this is the awesome door, or he is a liar and a realtor in front of any door but the awesome door, or he is a liar and he is in front of the awesome door, but he is a solicitor. But this is impossible, as the person in front of the awesome door is a realtor, we know this for sure. Therefore if person 1 is a truthteller, he is a realtor-truthteller and this is the awesome door, if person 1 is a liar, then he is a solicitor-liar and this is the neutral or bad door."

since door 2 is NOT the awesome door, if person 1 is a truthteller, door 1 is the awesome door, and if person 1 is a liar this is NOT the awesome door, but since door 2 is also NOT the awesome door, we can say if person 1 is a liar, we know the awesome door to be door 3

so now we just have to figure out if person 1 is a truthteller (thus door 1) or a liar (thus door 3). To do this we can use the questions for persons 2 and 3

these are the questions i spontaneously thought of for 2&3:

lets see if they'll work. now we know person 2 is a solicitor. So if he answers YES:

if he is a truthteller, person 1 is a liar and thus the Awesome door is door 3

if he is a liar, we know he is telling the truth about being a solicitor, so he must be lying about person 1 being a liar. Therefore person 1 is a truthteller and the awesome door is door 1

if he answers NO:

he cannot be a truthteller, as we know he is a solicitor. Therefore he is a liar who is already lying about being a solicitor so he could be either lying or telling the truth about person 1, we cant know

therefore we must rephrase the question:

ask person 2: are you a solicitor and a liar and is person 1 a liar?

if he says YES: a truthteller cannot say yes to all segments of that statement because nobody can call themselves a liar. So he is a liar. And he is a solicitor. So is he telling the truth about the first two things (he is a solicitor and a liar) so he has to lie about at least one thing. So person 1 is a truthteller (and the awesome door is Door 1) if person 2 says YES

if he says NO, he cannot be a truthteller either, because he is a solicitor for sure. So if he says NO, he is a liar. he is already lying about being a solicitor by saying NO when he is one, and we know he is lying about being a liar, he has already lied in this statement, so if he says NO he could either be lying or telling the truth about person 1, and it is down to person 3.

if he cannot decide, or objects to the question, etc, he is a truthteller, because a YES or NO answer to that is impossible for a truthteller. Then you can reask the question: "Is person 1 a truthteller?" If YES, the awesome door is door 1. If NO, the awesome door is door 3.

So the questions so far:

we know these two questions will lead you to the right door (either

1 or 3) in every scenario, EXCEPT when person 1 says YES and then person 2 says NO. Then it is all down to the question we ask person 3 for that tiny scenario. Obviously the random one i thought up wont suffice...

so can anyone think of a question for person 3 in the event that the first two questions dont come conclusive (a YES, then a NO)?

doh! Martini i reread your answer and it is right, of course. Sorry i figured asking him 5 seconds ago would be the same as just asking him now, of which there are many flaws.... your answer is very clever lol

sorry for doubting you

anyway i need some help with my answer lol (the post right above this)

its almost done, i just need to tweek question 3

hey martini, we can merge our answers! for my question 3:

Ask person 3: If i asked you 5 seconds ago which door you were standing in front of, would you have said the Awesome door?

if no, it is Door 1

if yes, it is Door 3

look at the post two above this to see why (read my own spoiler i quoted first, then read the spoiler i made after the quote ends)

we know...

continuation:

so if person 1 said NO, door 3 is Awesome

so this is all if person 1 said YES...

copying my description of what the deal is if he said yes:

"if person 1 says yes, he is either a truthteller, and this is the awesome door, or he is a liar and a realtor in front of any door but the awesome door, or he is a liar and he is in front of the awesome door, but he is a solicitor. But this is impossible, as the person in front of the awesome door is a realtor, we know this for sure. Therefore if person 1 is a truthteller, he is a realtor-truthteller and this is the awesome door, if person 1 is a liar, then he is a solicitor-liar and this is the neutral or bad door."

since door 2 is NOT the awesome door, if person 1 is a truthteller, door 1 is the awesome door, and if person 1 is a liar this is NOT the awesome door, but since door 2 is also NOT the awesome door, we can say if person 1 is a liar, we know the awesome door to be door 3

so now we just have to figure out if person 1 is a truthteller (thus door 1) or a liar (thus door 3). To do this we can use the questions for persons 2 and 3

these are the questions i spontaneously thought of for 2&3:

lets see if they'll work. now we know person 2 is a solicitor. So if he answers YES:

if he is a truthteller, person 1 is a liar and thus the Awesome door is door 3

if he is a liar, we know he is telling the truth about being a solicitor, so he must be lying about person 1 being a liar. Therefore person 1 is a truthteller and the awesome door is door 1

if he answers NO:

he cannot be a truthteller, as we know he is a solicitor. Therefore he is a liar who is already lying about being a solicitor so he could be either lying or telling the truth about person 1, we cant know

therefore we must rephrase the question:

if he says YES: a truthteller cannot say yes to all segments of that statement because nobody can call themselves a liar. So he is a liar. And he is a solicitor. So is he telling the truth about the first two things (he is a solicitor and a liar) so he has to lie about at least one thing. So person 1 is a truthteller (and the awesome door is Door 1) if person 2 says YES

if he says NO, he cannot be a truthteller either, because he is a solicitor for sure. So if he says NO, he is a liar. he is already lying about being a solicitor by saying NO when he is one, and we know he is lying about being a liar, he has already lied in this statement, so if he says NO he could either be lying or telling the truth about person 1, and it is down to person 3.

if he cannot decide, or objects to the question, etc, he is a truthteller, because a YES or NO answer to that is impossible for a truthteller. Then you can reask the question: "Is person 1 a truthteller?" If YES, the awesome door is door 1. If NO, the awesome door is door 3.

So the questions so far:

we know these two questions will lead you to the right door (either

1 or 3) in every scenario, EXCEPT when person 1 says YES and then person 2 says NO. Then it is all down to the question we ask person 3 for that tiny scenario. Obviously the random one i thought up wont suffice...

so can anyone think of a question for person 3 in the event that the first two questions dont come conclusive (a YES, then a NO)?

therefore, my favorite solution (see the spoiler right above this to see why):

if NO, it is Door 3. if YES, move on to question 2

if YES, it is Door 1. if UNDECIDED, it is door 3 or 1 (known after asking the for-sure truthteller). If NO, move on to question 3

Ask person 3: If i asked you 5 seconds ago which door you were standing in front of, would you have said the Awesome door?

if NO, it is Door 1

if YES, it is Door 3

There is another solution. Simply, A is truthful and B is not. Its like this, B says EVERYTHING A says is true. BUT there is a chance that A would not know the answer to every question and therefore not be always true. A is truthful in saying that he is not the murderer, and that B is a liar. But you can also think of it another way. A could be saying B is really lying, as in on a bed or a couch.

Edited by Sharpshark

here is a random at work quick answer:

The one dead is the realitor, leaving two solicitors. Both solicitors are truthtellers and the realitor offed himself because only two people selling magizines showed up to his openhouse.

Hello, there. I found this thread in a search engine by mistake and i created an account just to see if my answer is correct. this was so much fun i think i'll stick around this forum. anyway, here is my proposed answer to the second riddle in this thread;

I would ask all three salesmen what color the ceiling is. the one that tells me the wrong color is obviousley the liar, and is in front of the bad door. I take either of the other two doors and i am at least as well off as i am now. plus, 50% chance of getting the awesome door. if two of them lie, then that leaves only one door to choose.

Whaddya think? if i read correctly i thought that one of them was a truthteller, which means they can't all lie to me. tell me what you guys think. thanks a lot.

i made this up

a salesman is found dead! it was one of the other two salesmen in the room. There are two kinds of salesmen... Solicitors and Realtors. (Not my kinda people. lol...)

You don't know who is who. You know that each person can either be always lying (like a swindelcant) or always telling the truth (honestant).

Whether you're a Solicitor or Realtor does not affect if you are a Liar or a Truthteller.

The two people are A and B. Who is the murderer, and describe each person (example: Lying Solicitor, Truthtelling Solicitor, Lying Realtor, or Truthtelling Realtor)

I don't believe there can be a solution. Here is what I am assuming: a truth teller always tells the truth, a liar always tells lies.

If we assume A is telling the truth then B must be a liar, but if B is a liar he is saying (implied) that A is a liar. This is a contradiction.

If we assume A is a liar then B must be telling the truth (implied), but if B is telling the truth he is saying A is also telling the the truth. Also a contradiction.

As a person can only be a liar or a truth teller, there is no solution -- unless there's a flaw in my logic somewhere?

So if B is saying that everything A says is the truth then it makes the statement true that B is a liar, so what B says is false as you can't trust everything A says.

This makes it that B is a liar, which comes to the conclusion that you can't trust A.

This means that in both of A's statements - 'I am not the murderer!' and 'B is a lying solicitor' there is a lie.

This firstly makes A the murderer. Then in the statement 'B is a lying solicitor' there is a lie. So B is either a truthtelling Realtor, a truthtelling Solicitor or a Lying Realtor. Since we know that B is a liar, we know that the first two can't be true. So B is a lying Realtor. This leaves A as the solicitor.

Overall, this means that A is a murdering lying solicitor and B is a lying realtor!!