BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Hey all,

As you can tell by my avatar, I enjoy solving Rubik's Cubes. I was wondering if there was any one else on this form who know how to. If you don't know how to, check out this

22 answers to this question

your fastest is 0:27? daaaamn ;D

though what constitutes a "scrambled" cube? How random does it have to be? I think that how "scrambled" it is determines how many rotations are needed to set it right, so that your speeds are based more on the original configuration that you get than how fast you do it (if you're a speed-cuber that is)

A scrambled cube is one that has at least 25 random quarter turns applied to it.

Yes, solving speed does have to do with how the cube was configured but usual it doesn't make too much of a difference (3-4 seconds variation in my case). What maters the most, is the state of mind that you are in, almost you could call it cube high where you can instantly see patterns and react to them.

Seriously, no one on this forum has ever solved a Rubik's cube? I'm surprised. :huh:

No! I've solved them for a long time! I just found this topic now though. ;) My time is 36 seconds ( an OK time in the world of speed cubeing) :)

No! I've solved them for a long time! I just found this topic now though. ;) My time is 36 seconds ( an OK time in the world of speed cubeing) :)

Sweet, same as me. What method do you use?

Sweet, same as me. What method do you use?

I like to use the layer-by-layer method(it's nice and simple) but for speedcubing, I use the Fridrich method.

I have one, but it's all rusted inside or something... do you guys oil your cubes up to make em really fast spinning or something?

I've seen people do that, they are crazy fast. I never really liked those annoying cubes, there's no real point to solving one. B))

there's no real point to solving one. B))

The point to solving it is to feel the accomplishment of succeeding in a challenge...the same reason most of us are members of the Den. Of course some of us are more gifted mathematically, some with spacial-temporal skills (like the cube), some with language riddles...and on and on. What's fun is to exercise your brain in all kinds of ways, not just according to your natural bent.

Edited by puzzlegirl

The point to solving it is to feel the accomplishment of succeeding in a challenge...the same reason most of us are members of the Den. Of course some of us are more gifted mathematically, some with spacial-temporal skills (like the cube), some with language riddles...and on and on. What's fun is to exercise your brain in all kinds of ways, not just according to your natural bent.

Yeah, I know, the joy of accomplishment is great. :D Though it seems like it would get a little repetitive after a while. Once you get good at it, it's not really a challenge anymore, just showing others what you can do. I can see why some people do them, but to be honest, I always found them incredibly frustrating. :P

I used to solve it in 1.5 minutes and I did not read any method regarding solving it, so it was a slow learning process. I used to solve the 8 corners first and then layer by layer :rolleyes:

Edited by Ben Law

Yeah, I know, the joy of accomplishment is great. :D Though it seems like it would get a little repetitive after a while. Once you get good at it, it's not really a challenge anymore, just showing others what you can do. I can see why some people do them, but to be honest, I always found them incredibly frustrating. :P

The real joy is learning not how to solve it, but how to solve it faster.

I never thought of any tricks as a child but, I knew how to do it in a half hour or less. I have some mental power about me, which I was born with that they could not understand. Once you master it, the fun is all gone. I want to do some differnt stuff like the patternless crossword puzzles. Only time is not allowing it lately. I may have stumbled on this algorithm thing naturally!

I like to use the layer-by-layer method(it's nice and simple) but for speedcubing, I use the Fridrich method.

My friend uses that method, I have not tried it yet, what is it about?

The Fridrich method (which I use too) consists of 4 steps:

1) Solve the white cross

2) Insert 4 corner edge pairs so the first 2 layers are solved

3) Orient all pieces in the last layer

4) Permute (place) all pieces in the last layer

The Fridrich method (which I use too) consists of 4 steps:

1) Solve the white cross

2) Insert 4 corner edge pairs so the first 2 layers are solved

3) Orient all pieces in the last layer

4) Permute (place) all pieces in the last layer

It doesn't matter if I start with the white, right? The green is easier to recognize.

It doesn't matter if I start with the white, right? The green is easier to recognize.

Nope, its all personal preference. :D

BTW, has any one tried to solve it using commutators?

No... what is that? And how can I lubricate my cube?

Commutators are a bit complicated to explain. Check out this tutorial.

As for making your cube turn faster, you can either twist it allot or put some silicone based lubricant in there.