BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

This is similar to Confronting the Giant, but a little harder.

Four knights (Sir Hector, Sir Able, Sir Bold, and Sir Gallant) were each especially skilled at dealing with a certain type of adversary (giants, dragons, serpents, or sorcerers). Based on the following clues, which knight was most skilled at dealing with which type of adversary?

1. If Sir Able was the most skilled at dealing with dragons, then Sir Gallant was the most skilled at dealing with giants.
  2. If Sir Bold was the most skilled at dealing with giants, then Sir Hector was the most skilled at dealing with sorcerers.
  3. If Sir Bold was the most skilled at dealing with sorcerers, then Sir Able was the most skilled at dealing with dragons.
  4. If Sir Gallant was not the most skilled at dealing with dragons, then Sir Hector was the most skilled at dealing with giants.
  5. If Sir Gallant was the most skilled at dealing with serpents, then Sir Bold was not the most skilled at dealing with dragons.
  6. If Sir Hector was the most skilled at dealing with sorcerers, then Sir Able was the most skilled at dealing with giants
  7. If Sir Able was the most skilled at dealing with giants, then Sir Gallant was the most skilled at dealing with sorcerers

Good luck! :D

23 answers to this question

Sir Hector-giants

Sir Able-dragons

Sir Bold-Sorcerors

Sir Gallant-serpents

Unfortunately you're wrong :( , though you did get one of them right :) , but I won't tell you which one it was.

Check out clue #1 and then look over your answers again.

Edited by Frost

Hector-Giants

Able-Sorcerers

Bold-Serpents

Gallant-Dragons

(this is probably the answer you're looking for. Each If statement in the riddle is false, so you don't need to consider the "Then" statement)

or

Hector-Giants

Able-Serpents

Bold-Dragons

Gallant-Sorcerers

(this also works)

Hector-Giants

Able-Sorcerers

Bold-Serpents

Gallant-Dragons

(this is probably the answer you're looking for. Each If statement in the riddle is false, so you don't need to consider the "Then" statement)

or

Hector-Giants

Able-Serpents

Bold-Dragons

Gallant-Sorcerers

(this also works)

Way to go davepauly! :D You got both answers! When I first did this puzzle, I got the second of your answers. It didn't agree with the book's answer, which is the same as your first, though both of them work. I was wondering if they both would be found. I'm surprised it was that fast though. Great job! B))

Edited by Frost

1) say if A - Dragon, then G - giants = possible

2) say if B - giants, then H - sourcerers = possible

3) say if B - sourcerers, then A - dragon and so will link to (1) = possilbe

4) say if G x- dragon, then H - giants. This conflict with (1) as when G-giants, means Gx-dragon. So G-giants not possible, and A - dragon not possible and as for (3), B-sourcerers not possible.

5) say if G-Serpents, then Bx-dragon, and as for (4), H - giants and B must be - Sourcerers and A-dragon . = possible

6) say if H sourcereres , then A - giants. This is conflict with (2), as B already skilled with giants. So Not possible.

7) say if A-giants..... (6) already proved not possible.

So the only possiblity left is:

G - serpents

B - Sorceres

A - dragons

H - giants

right? :huh:

quote name='Frost' post='43313' date='Jun 26 2008, 09:07 PM']Way to go davepauly! :D You got both answers! When I first did this puzzle, I got the second of your answers. It didn't agree with the book's answer, which is the same as your first, though both of them work. I was wondering if they both would be found. I'm surprised it was that fast though. Great job! B))

Edited by davepauly

Sir Bold.....Giants

Sir Able.....Dragons

Sir Gallant..Serpents

Sir Hector...Sorcerers

Four knights (Sir Hector, Sir Able, Sir Bold, and Sir Gallant) were each especially skilled at dealing with a certain type of adversary (giants, dragons, serpents, or sorcerers). Based on the following clues, which knight was most skilled at dealing with which type of adversary?

1. If Sir Able was the most skilled at dealing with dragons, then Sir Gallant was the most skilled at dealing with giants.
  2. If Sir Bold was the most skilled at dealing with giants, then Sir Hector was the most skilled at dealing with sorcerers.
  3. If Sir Bold was the most skilled at dealing with sorcerers, then Sir Able was the most skilled at dealing with dragons.
  4. If Sir Gallant was not the most skilled at dealing with dragons, then Sir Hector was the most skilled at dealing with giants.
  5. If Sir Gallant was the most skilled at dealing with serpents, then Sir Bold was not the most skilled at dealing with dragons.
  6. If Sir Hector was the most skilled at dealing with sorcerers, then Sir Able was the most skilled at dealing with giants
  7. If Sir Able was the most skilled at dealing with giants, then Sir Gallant was the most skilled at dealing with sorcerers

1) say if A - Dragon, then G - giants = possible

2) say if B - giants, then H - sourcerers = possible

3) say if B - sourcerers, then A - dragon and so will link to (1) = possilbe

4) say if G x- dragon, then H - giants. This conflict with (1) as when G-giants, means Gx-dragon. So G-giants not possible, and A - dragon not possible and as for (3), B-sourcerers not possible.

5) say if G-Serpents, then Bx-dragon, and as for (4), H - giants and B must be - Sourcerers and A-dragon . = possible

6) say if H sourcereres , then A - giants. This is conflict with (2), as B already skilled with giants. So Not possible.

7) say if A-giants..... (6) already proved not possible.

So the only possiblity left is:

G - serpents

B - Sorceres

A - dragons

H - giants

right? :huh:

Sorry woon, check out clue #1 again.

Hector-Giants

Able-Serpents

Bold-Dragons

Gallant-Sorcerers

That would be correct.

And very clever using Excel davepauly, though that kind of takes away from the challenge.

It could also be:

Hector = Giants

Gallant = Serpents

Bold = Dragons

Able = Sorcerers

Actually no, check clue #5. But there are two answers, both have been found.

4. If Sir Gallant was NOT the most skilled at dealing with dragons, then Sir Hector was the most skilled at dealing with giants.
  5. If Sir Gallant was the most skilled at dealing with serpents, then Sir Bold was NOT the most skilled at dealing with dragons.

did anyone else get two answers? (I haven't read anything other than the OP, sorry lol). I kinda think that I did something wrong cuz I got two equally possible answers

after reading them, #4 stands out as a NOT. So I'm going to start with that:

if sir gallant ≠ dragons, then sir hector = giants

therefore sir gallant cannot be giants, because then he and sir hector would both be giants

gallant/hector ratio:

gallant = dragons, hector = giants/serpents/sorcerers

gallant = serpents, hector = giants

gallant = sorcerers, hector = giants

now look at #5...

if gallant = serpents, then bold ≠ dragons. Since hector would already be giants, and serpents is taken, and bold cannot be dragons, bold would have to be sorcerers, able would be dragons, which fits with rule #3... but if able is dragons, then sir gallant is giants, which is impossible via rule #1.

Therefore, gallant is neither giants nor serpents

if gallant is dragons:

* if hector is sorcerers, then able is giants (#6), but if able is giants, then then gallant is sorcerers (#7). So this is impossible

* if hector is serpents and gallant is dragons, that leaves giants and sorcerers to able and bold. But if able is giants, then gallant is sorcerers (#7), so able would be sorcerers and bold is giants. But if sir bold is giants, then hector is sorcerers (#2). So this is impossible

* if hector is giants and gallant is dragons, this leaves sorcerers and serpents to able and bold. But Sir Bold cannot be sorcerers because then able would have to be dragons (#3), therefore bold is serpents and able is sorcerers. Hector=giants, Gallant=dragons, Bold=serpents, Able=sorcerers. I haven't found anything wrong about this

but say there is something wrong about it, that would leave one option for sir gallant:

leaving dragons and serpents to able and bold. According to #1, if able is dragons then gallant is giants, which he isn't. Therefore the other possible solution is:

Gallant=sorcerers, Hector=giants, Able=serpents, Bold=dragons

nothing I can find discredits that either

therefore, there are two solutions

Solution 1: Hector=giants, Gallant=dragons, Bold=serpents, Able=sorcerers

Solution 2: Gallant=sorcerers, Hector=giants, Able=serpents, Bold=dragons

did anyone else get two answers? (I haven't read anything other than the OP, sorry lol). I kinda think that I did something wrong cuz I got two equally possible answers

after reading them, #4 stands out as a NOT. So I'm going to start with that:

if sir gallant ≠ dragons, then sir hector = giants

therefore sir gallant cannot be giants, because then he and sir hector would both be giants

gallant/hector ratio:

gallant = serpents, hector = giants

now look at #5...

if gallant = serpents, then bold ≠ dragons. Since hector would already be giants, and serpents is taken, and bold cannot be dragons, bold would have to be sorcerers, able would be dragons, which fits with rule #3... but if able is dragons, then sir gallant is giants, which is impossible via rule #1.

Therefore, gallant is neither giants nor serpents

if gallant is dragons:

* if hector is sorcerers, then able is giants (#6), but if able is giants, then then gallant is sorcerers (#7). So this is impossible

* if hector is serpents and gallant is dragons, that leaves giants and sorcerers to able and bold. But if able is giants, then gallant is sorcerers (#7), so able would be sorcerers and bold is giants. But if sir bold is giants, then hector is sorcerers (#2). So this is impossible

* if hector is giants and gallant is dragons, this leaves sorcerers and serpents to able and bold. But Sir Bold cannot be sorcerers because then able would have to be dragons (#3), therefore bold is serpents and able is sorcerers. Hector=giants, Gallant=dragons, Bold=serpents, Able=sorcerers. I haven't found anything wrong about this

but say there is something wrong about it, that would leave one option for sir gallant:

leaving dragons and serpents to able and bold. According to #1, if able is dragons then gallant is giants, which he isn't. Therefore the other possible solution is:

Gallant=sorcerers, Hector=giants, Able=serpents, Bold=dragons

nothing I can find discredits that either

therefore, there are two solutions

Solution 1: Hector=giants, Gallant=dragons, Bold=serpents, Able=sorcerers

Solution 2: Gallant=sorcerers, Hector=giants, Able=serpents, Bold=dragons

Yes unreality, there are two answers. When I first did it, I got a different answer then the one that my book had, though I noticed that both of them do work.

one way to make it adamant with one answer would be to say:

you could do a variety of things:

* ask for just Hector's specialty, since he is a Giant-killer in both solutions. However, figuring this out would probably be easier than figuring out both solutions and then seeing that he is a giant=killer in both

* make an extra rule, saying that If Sir Gallant is sorcerers, then Sir Able is not serpents (this would make Solution 1 correct) OR you could say that If Sir Gallant is dragons, then Sir Able is not sorcerers (this would make Solution 2 correct)

one way to make it adamant with one answer would be to say:

you could do a variety of things:

* ask for just Hector's specialty, since he is a Giant-killer in both solutions. However, figuring this out would probably be easier than figuring out both solutions and then seeing that he is a giant=killer in both

* make an extra rule, saying that If Sir Gallant is sorcerers, then Sir Able is not serpents (this would make Solution 1 correct) OR you could say that If Sir Gallant is dragons, then Sir Able is not sorcerers (this would make Solution 2 correct)

Yeah, you could, but it's more of a challenge with two solutions. It was harder for me at least to get one just because it wasn't definite.

There is supposed to only be one answer, as the book only gave one, but as I and a few others have discovered, that's not the case.

I wonder...

Could you remove one or more of those statements and still get the same answers? :huh:

If you did that you would most likely end up with even more answers than there are now.

I haven't read through all of the posts yet so I'm sure the right answer is already posted, but here's what I came up with.

Sir Hector - Giants

Sir Able - Sorcerers

Sir Bold - Serpents

Sir Gallant - Dragons