BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

itachi-san

Question

In the film Minority Report there are creatures who can see the future, so let's just assume that they can do it flawlessly for this discussion. They work for the law enforcement in order to arrest people for crimes they are about to commit. For instance, if a man decided to kill his wife later in the night, he would be arrested now before he did it and get charged with the crime. But that's the trick. He didn't commit the crime, nor will he now that he has been arrested, but he is being charged for it. This doesn't seem fair, but if they left him alone he definitely would commit the crime. Can you make this concept sound fair then?

Edited by itachi-san

I remember stopping by this thread/forum a while ago - it's been so long!

Anyways, I think the solution would best be handled by a new TV series, F:CSI - Future Crime Scene Investigators. Obviously designed for the Sci Fi channel, this series will take CSI and seriously intertwine time as a 4th dimention in new ways that the series can explore. The benefit of doing this is that writers can be paid to think and discuss scenarios that would be best to explain the concepts massively; Throwing money at the problem won't work, but facilitating minds to think about the problem just might. CSI can also tackle the idea of maybe saving lives rather than studying the environment of the dead.

I think to really tackle a solution to the problem here on these forums is to take into account how several populations would resolve this, meaning they wouldn't solve it in necessarily the best way but it would be at least a way. You could tackle it from the perspective of the greater good, or even from what's the cheapest way to go about it. I like the idea of making several small adjustments such as delaying a bus by a minute here and there, aka making just big enough ripples to change what happens at that point.

There are several shows already out there that have touched on this. If you tune into Spike, you might catch the ST: Voyager episode where they meet a race who changes the fabric of time by destroying planets at certain points in history to try to bring back their homeworld. Eventually Janeway destroys their ship. ;)