BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Why do we need ratings of people on this forum? What does it indicate? I don't think this rating system is appropriate as this is not some social networking website. A person can be judged by the quality of his posts. I strongly recommend that the ratings should be removed. Or if that is not possible, only friends should be able to rate that person out of five stars.

What do the administrator,moderators,members say?

15 answers to this question

I think you're just mad that I might have a higher rating than you :P

I gave you 5 stars for being so smart and funny, though :D

hehe..thanks for the rating Neal ;) I am very happy that you have a higher rating than me :)

But I seriously feel there is no need of this rating system. Rating should be limited to the topics posted.

hehe..thanks for the rating Neal ;) I am very happy that you have a higher rating than me :)

But I seriously feel there is no need of this rating system. Rating should be limited to the topics posted.

wellllllllll for the sake of argument, would you not have to prevent comments, also? Comments are more qualitative ratings, right?? So if the stars are not there, then anyone can go to anyone's page and leave any kind of comment.

wellllllllll for the sake of argument, would you not have to prevent comments, also? Comments are more qualitative ratings, right?? So if the stars are not there, then anyone can go to anyone's page and leave any kind of comment.

You can change the settings of comments as well as friends. One can approve/un-approve /delete any comment. It is all there in the settings. But no so for rating :)

It's not something that I really care too much about, but I agree on principle that the member ratings are not useful. I will always evaluate the value of another member's contributions based on the quality (which is only my subjective opinion) of their posts. I hope others do the same. Member ratings aren't a factor, and I don't see the value they bring the site, but I don't see them as being a terrible thing, either.

I also agree that thread rating is quite useful and should be kept.

Why worry about it - form your own opinion keep it to your self or share it.

Ratings in or out / good or bad - not really concerned about them personally

Comments - no to concerned either, though some people use them to mssg, which is odd

Why worry about it - form your own opinion keep it to your self or share it.

Ratings in or out / good or bad - not really concerned about them personally

Comments - no to concerned either, though some people use them to mssg, which is odd

I like your worry-free attitude, but the ratings do give an immediate impression of another person. For example, if I liked a person's comments, but saw they had a rating of 2, I would probably wonder what they did to upset somebody else into giving them such a low rating. If I didn't wonder, then what was the point of having the rating? It's intended to contribute toward first impressions.

I'm curious, though, LIS. If you don't care, then why do you rate others? You gave me my first rating (2), and I decided right then that I would stop caring about ratings, or else it would end up bugging me. The only time I've ever rated anyone was to give them a 5 if I thought they were making excellent contributions to the site. Other than using the system to give a pat on the back to those that deserve it, I really don't see what purpose it serves.

LIS! You rated Duh Puck 2? And I thought you were such a nice guy! Actually I always assumed personal ratings were derived from the average ratings of that person's postings, seems logical. If I were designing the system I'd do it that way and make it so that the higher your personal rating, the more weight is given to your rating of other people's posts. But since hardly anybody ever rates anything on this forum anyway, I guess I'd be wasting my effort.

LIS! You rated Duh Puck 2? And I thought you were such a nice guy! Actually I always assumed personal ratings were derived from the average ratings of that person's postings, seems logical. If I were designing the system I'd do it that way and make it so that the higher your personal rating, the more weight is given to your rating of other people's posts. But since hardly anybody ever rates anything on this forum anyway, I guess I'd be wasting my effort.

Maybe he gave 2 stars vis a vis the old adage, "first is worst, second is best, third is the one with the hairy chest." By giving him the SECOND star, he meant to say he was the best.

I like your worry-free attitude, but the ratings do give an immediate impression of another person. For example, if I liked a person's comments, but saw they had a rating of 2, I would probably wonder what they did to upset somebody else into giving them such a low rating. If I didn't wonder, then what was the point of having the rating? It's intended to contribute toward first impressions.

I'm curious, though, LIS. If you don't care, then why do you rate others? You gave me my first rating (2), and I decided right then that I would stop caring about ratings, or else it would end up bugging me. The only time I've ever rated anyone was to give them a 5 if I thought they were making excellent contributions to the site. Other than using the system to give a pat on the back to those that deserve it, I really don't see what purpose it serves.

- Don't complain now - you said thanks at the time! :D

We were all new then and I thought you should work a bit harder for your rating - stayed on one topic (atheism) - Hey! I could have started at one, sorry if I put you off of ratings

Soon occurred to me that it was a waste of time but occasionally i do it for fun. You and Octopuppy are clearly FIVE STAR, ***** and they are ALL platinum

- Don't complain now - you said thanks at the time! :D

We were all new then and I thought you should work a bit harder for your rating - stayed on one topic (atheism) - Hey! I could have started at one, sorry if I put you off of ratings

Soon occurred to me that it was a waste of time but occasionally i do it for fun. You and Octopuppy are clearly FIVE STAR, ***** and they are ALL platinum

:lol: You crack me up. And for that, I grant you ... 4 SEA-GREEN STARS!

You'll thank me when you're older, kid.

:lol: You crack me up. And for that, I grant you ... 4 SEA-GREEN STARS!

You'll thank me when you're older, kid.

at 51 people still see me as imature - probably cos I am .... my fav colour green - thanks!