BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Apples

rookie1ja

Apples - Back to the Logic Puzzles

A basket contains 5 apples. Do you know how to divide them among 5 kids so that each one has an apple and one apple stays in the basket?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Apples - solution

4 kids get an apple (one apple for each one of them) and the fifth kid gets an apple with the basket still containing the apple.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about cutting 1/5 of each apple, putting these together to form in total one apple to go back in the basket, and each kid gets (most of, 4/5 of) an apple?

The solution posted is the first one I thought of too, but then I didn't know if it was intended that the kids could take them away, eat them, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah like gretch321 said, keep one apple in the basket. Cut the four into pieces. Each kid gets 80% of each apple.

80% of an apple isn't an apple.

This one is easy. Keep one apple in the basket. Take the other four and make apple sauce. Besides, the apples will not have the same mass and in order to give each child the exact same amount they would need to be in a form that can be equally distributed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The question asked was as follows:

Do you know how to divide them to 5 kids so that each one has an apple and one apple stays in the basket?

I believe the correct answer would be "yes" or "no."

Apples - Back to the Logic Puzzles

A basket contains 5 apples. Do you know how to divide them to 5 kids so that each one has an apple and one apple stays in the basket?

Ooh, I can't believe nobody saw the alternate solution.

Because the wording was not precise enough, there could be more than 5 apples in the basket! It never said "only 5".

Given the solution to some of the other puzzles here, this is a perfectly valid interpretation. He he he.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...