BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

if it is not + or - then it is both at the same time then it is positive and negitve at the same time and if it is neither prime nor composite the it is one or the other so then it is both at the same time. If they are opposites then what i said is the same thing you said.

Edited by Jordanmax

Well not knowing what a composite number is, I looked up on Wikipedia, and it seems that prime and composite are mutually exclusive qualities of a number (composite has a divisor other than one and itself; prime has one and itself only) - it's either one or the other. The FIRST composite number listed is 4. How do you say 0 is a composite number?

First wikipedia is not always right and you make and it is not prime because zero /zero is undifined and so is zero/ anything else.

A prime must be a natural number. So the first prime number is 2, not 0.

Ok captain, if the Wikipedia definition of a composite number is wrong, then go on record and say how my recapitulation is wrong, and tell me what a composite number is. Instead of shouting at the rain maybe provide some justification here.

Ok captain, if the Wikipedia definition of a composite number is wrong, then go on record and say how my recapitulation is wrong, and tell me what a composite number is. Instead of shouting at the rain maybe provide some justification here.

I never said your definition was wrong im just saying that you can change wikipedia i could change it right now to say a composite number is bananas.

I never said your definition was wrong im just saying that you can change wikipedia i could change it right now to say a composite number is bananas.

So that's irrelevant. What's in question is whether or not the specific article referenced was correct

I just want some justification on the answer of zero and "official" definitions (official being from the math authority here, Jordanmax :) ) of prime and composite.

A quick layman's definition of a prime, is a number that can only be divided by itself and 1 evenly (Without a remainder). 7 is a prime number because no other number divides evenly. 8 is divisible by 2 and 4, so it is not prime.

A composite number is a number that can be divided evenly up into prime numbers smaller than itself. so 8 is composite because 2 and 2 and 2 are prime, so they make up 8.

One explanation: 0 can be divided by any number with no remainder, so it's not prime. no prime numbers multiplied together can equal 0, so it is not composite.

Oh, and 0/0 is undefined, correct. You also said "0/anything else" is undefined. 0/2 = 0, 0/anything = 0.

If you have 0 peices of pizza and you divided by 2 how many do you have. WELL you cant divid 0

I know you are dividing zero not dividing by zero

Oh sorry, I see what you were saying my mistake completely!

But yes you can divide 0 by anything you want (except 0). If i have 0 pieces of pizza and 2 people, how many pieces does each person get? 0!

you can divide 0 by anything you want (except 0), but the answer will always be 0.