BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Francisco de Goya, a famous Spanish painter, after painting a beautiful portrait for the Queen of England was returning to Spain. The queen had rewarded him with 3 pounds of gold, 6 pounds of silver, 15 pounds of wheat and 10 pounds of rice. The Captain of the ship saw this as an opportunity to earn a little extra money and asked him to pay 2 pesos (currency at that time) per pound. All his belongings were measured. How many pesos did he have to pay?

6 answers to this question

Is he to pay per pound avoirdupois or Troy or a combination thereof?

If per pound avoirdupois then the precious metals weigh in at 108 Troy ounces (12 Troy ounces per Troy pound) (9 x 12). 108 Troy ounces weighs approximately 118.5 avoirdupois ounces, or 7.4 avoirdupois pounds ( 1 Troy ounce = 1.097142857 ounce Avoirdupois). Since the wheat and rice are measured avoirdupois, the total weight is 15 + 10 + 7.4 = 32.4.

If we assume rounding down the price is 64 pesos, rounding up the result is 66 pesos.

My dad used to always ask " which weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of gold?"

Edited by ElTwo

Is he to pay per pound avoirdupois or Troy or a combination thereof?

If per pound avoirdupois then the precious metals weigh in at 108 Troy ounces (12 Troy ounces per Troy pound) (9 x 12). 108 Troy ounces weighs approximately 118.5 avoirdupois ounces, or 7.4 avoirdupois pounds ( 1 Troy ounce = 1.097142857 ounce Avoirdupois). Since the wheat and rice are measured avoirdupois, the total weight is 15 + 10 + 7.4 = 32.4.

If we assume rounding down the price is 64 pesos, rounding up the result is 66 pesos.

My dad used to always ask " which weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of gold?"

Shouldn't rounding up be 65? 32.4 * 2= 64.8, therefore, 65???

If you round up, I would think you would round 32.4 up to 33, thus 33 * 2 =66; I guess it just depends where you're doing your rounding. My assumption was that if the Captain was rounding up he would round up the total of the weight.