BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

6x4 Rectangle

6x4 Rectangle - Back to the Geometry Puzzles

Slice the picture into 2 sections (Edit: jagged cut) from which you could make a rectangle 6x4 squares.

post-2-1175348603_thumbgif

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

6x4 Rectangle - solution

post-2-1175348622_thumbgif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The 2nd solution by josiah47 doesn't work. You can't make the green portion without cutting the piece into 3.

I agree.

ummm... maybe i am missing something. but actually you can make that green portion with 2 slices

1. slice all the way through

2. pull away from original piece

3. slice top off

4. rearrange and place.

done and done... and much easier than 1st solution.

graci

ycross

I'm sorry, perhaps geometry isn't my thing, but I'm not seeing how this slice makes the desired rectangle, could someone post the compleated 4x6 grid as made bythis slice?

I'm sorry, perhaps geometry isn't my thing, but I'm not seeing how this slice makes the desired rectangle, could someone post the compleated 4x6 grid as made bythis slice?

I'm with Incognitum, the 4x6 grid shown in the solution isn't really a rectangle, as far as I understood the definition of a rectangle anyway. Doesn't a rectangle have to have 4 right angles (and thus 4 sides)? The solution only has two right angle and actually has 6 sides.

I'm with Incognitum, the 4x6 grid shown in the solution isn't really a rectangle, as far as I understood the definition of a rectangle anyway. Doesn't a rectangle have to have 4 right angles (and thus 4 sides)? The solution only has two right angle and actually has 6 sides.

• 2 weeks later...

What bothers me about this puzzle is that none of the answers are actually rectangular... The instructions ask for a rectangle of 6X4 dimensions. However, every answer given thus far (including the official answer) is a hexagon...

I spent a good deal of time trying to figure a way to make a rectangle out of those squares...

• Upvote 1

What bothers me about this puzzle is that none of the answers are actually rectangular... The instructions ask for a rectangle of 6X4 dimensions. However, every answer given thus far (including the official answer) is a hexagon...

I spent a good deal of time trying to figure a way to make a rectangle out of those squares...

what is wrong with the sliced picture and rearranged pieces below?

post-2-1185225051_thumbgif post-2-1185225074_thumbjpg

• 1 month later...
The original says "Slice the picture into 2 sections"

I would draw a straight line from the upper left hand corner diagonally to the lower right hand corner.

That would make two sections "from which you could make a rectangle 6x4 squares."

pls post a picture how you would make the 6x4 squares rectangle from a diagonally sliced original image ... unless you meant that I should make the rectangle

• 2 weeks later...
A Slice implys a straight cut. the other soulutions are not 2 slices

Mike

Maybe, maybe not.

Onelook.com says ...

Quick definitions (slice)

# noun: a golf shot that curves to the right for a right-handed golfer

# noun: a spatula for spreading paint or ink

# noun: a thin flat piece cut off of some object -- maybe

# noun: a share of something (Example: "A slice of the company's revenue")

# noun: a serving that has been cut from a larger portion (Example: "A slice of bread") -- maybe

# noun: a wound made by cutting

# verb: hit a ball so that it causes a backspin

# verb: cut into slices (Example: "Slice the salami, please") -- maybe

# verb: hit a ball and put a spin on it so that it travels in a different direction

# verb: make a clean cut through -- maybe not. This does not imply "straight."

# name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #34695)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...