BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

wolfgang

Question

John and Bill wanted to play only one game Ping-pong.The first player to reach 21 points wins the game.

John is 20% better than Bill.

Bill said to John "well, you`ll win if we score as usual,cause you play better than me".

"how do you want us to score then?" asked John.

Bill:"any point I`ll score will be counted as(1.5) points to me,and for you a point will be as it is only one point,do you agree?"

" OK" said john,"but I`ll start the first serve".

Each player serves three points in a row and then switch server.

Now, who won that game?

If John being 20% better than John means that on the average for every point Bill scores, John scores 1.2, for every 17.5 point by Bill, John Will Score 21. This by no means will mean John wins every game since this is strictly an average John will win a higher percentage of games. If Bill gets 1.5 points for every point scored by John, then for every 1.2 points scored by John, Bill will get 1.5 for an advantage of 1.5/1.2 or 25% better than John. At this point Bill will win more games, but again, for one particular game there is no way of telling who will win. There is no way to give an exact probability since these are merely averages, and as in any other game, the point average and point differential does not correlate in a direct 1 to 1 comparison to wins and losses.

Wolfie, baby do not let an occasional bad post dissuade you from posting your puzzles. I have never had difficult understanding your intent. It is true that some people post purposely tricky puzzles to mislead but most people on here get what you are wanting. Keep up the good work. Although I don't respond to all of your puzzles I certainly try to read most of them. please please please please keep bringing on the excellent puzzles.

Edited by maurice

Wolfie, baby do not let an occasional bad post dissuade you from posting your puzzles. I have never had difficult understanding your intent. It is true that some people post purposely tricky puzzles to mislead but most people on here get what you are wanting. Keep up the good work. Although I don't respond to all of your puzzles I certainly try to read most of them. please please please please keep bringing on the excellent puzzles.

Thank you dear Maurice..