BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I've been enjoying everyone else's puzzles, so I though I would throw in one of my own. The following riddle will give the key to the first code. The first code will produce another riddle, the answer to which is the key to the second code. And so it goes: second to third, third to fourth, with the answer hidden in the fourth code. Please play fair and use spoilers liberally. Hope you enjoy.

Given Riddle: As American as 3.14159

Code 1:

QNPTLTSJUNGNYAWPEQPTEOFZUZSTPFHOCSLBPGPEXL
Code 2:
BGBKUNOTHQMYKHGPBKRDBLQNQUARSCQFSPRKRBTV
Code 3:
HCYQMTPQDOPXURGUMLNWRHYGEPELXHEYGE
Code 4:
MOBEGDHJSEHENL

Edited by ljb

18 answers to this question

Would it be possible to have a hint of what cipher was used? I'm having problems finding one that gives a sensible riddle with the answer/key.

Everything needed should be in the OP. If nobody else can give you a hint, I'll post in a few days.

Should I be encouraged by the fact that my answer to the riddle, including punctuation, is the same as the length of your code? Or should I be trying another tack? (wish I had more time for this one!)

Should I be encouraged by the fact that my answer to the riddle, including punctuation, is the same as the length of your code? Or should I be trying another tack? (wish I had more time for this one!)

7 or 8 letters; both work, but the 7 letter key gives an insight into the keys to come.

Would it be possible to have a hint of what cipher was used? I'm having problems finding one that gives a sensible riddle with the answer/key.

The name of the cipher is somewhere in the 5th sentence of the OP. Interestingly, it is not named after its creator. Instead, its creator had a Samuel Hunter Christie invention named after him.

got the first code -- not quite sure what the key for the second is.

the last part seems clear, but not sure where to go with too much moisture.

It's like the gameshow "Chain Reaction." Once you get the first part, try to link it with the next using the last word or syllables. An example might be HARDBACK BOOK STORE, a combination of clues leading to hardback book and also bookstore. GL.