BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Sale Now On!

Question

There is an advert in a local Hardware shop that reads:

Buy 1 for $1.00

10 for $2.00

100 for $3.00

I needed 913 and still only paid $3.00. How could this be financially viable for the shop-keeper?

16 answers to this question

I don't get it. Expalin please? thanks.

Suppose your house address is 1234 Whichever Rd. A storm blows in and blows the numbers off your house so nobody driving by would know what address your house was (hopefully the postman would still know though). Anyway, you now need to buy new numbers a new "1", a new "2", a new "3" and a new "4" to be able to display your address on your house again. If you go to the local hardware store, you will have to buy 4 numbers at $1 each and your cost would be $4.

an alternate solution:

does the shop allow refund? buy 100 for 3, refund 3 (one by one) and get another 100 for those 3 and so on.

note: 'refund' may mean selling this in some other market where there are no such offers.

Edited by sunrise

an alternate solution:

does the shop allow refund? buy 100 for 3, refund 3 (one by one) and get another 100 for those 3 and so on.

note: 'refund' may mean selling this in some other market where there are no such offers.

Huh?

an alternate solution:

I think you may have missed the point. There isn't 100 of anything. There are 3 items. a 1 and two 0's. 1-0-0 to be placed on your house or mailbox. Such as 100 Evergreen Terrace. The trick was that naturally you would assume that the value of '100' was intended, but it wasn't. It was '100' as a reference. Hope that helped! :D

No but sunrise's solution would still work I think. That is what I thought the answer might be. If someone else finds a completely different answer to a riddle that still works then you can’t really say its 'wrong'.

No but sunrise's solution would still work I think. That is what I thought the answer might be. If someone else finds a completely different answer to a riddle that still works then you can’t really say its 'wrong'.

Then maybe it is me who doesn't understand. I didn't say that was incorrect, I said that wasn't the solution that was intended. I (possibly incorrectly) assumed that sunrise meant buying 100 numbers for $3, which I don't think was what the OP meant.

If you bought the 3 numbers (1-0-0) for $3 and then returned them, what use would that be? Please explain. :wacko: Haha

Well yes I understand how that wasn't the intended solution, I'm just saying that it could work in theory. I know that the in OP 10 and 100 are numbers but there is no reason why it cannot be interpreted as actual quantities of items... so you could by 100 objects for $3. Maybe the shop keeper has some weird sale on or something :D.

But in fairness I would agree that the proper solution makes more sense.

Edited by psychic_mind

Well yes I understand how that wasn't the intended solution, I'm just saying that it could work in theory. I know that the in OP 10 and 100 are numbers but there is no reason why it cannot be interpreted as actual quantities of items... so you could by 100 objects for $3. Maybe the shop keeper has some weird sale on or something :D.

But in fairness I would agree that the proper solution makes more sense.

Agreed. What I was getting at was that if you bought 100 items for $3, you couldn't sell back 3 items and get your money back. You would have to sell back all 100. Otherwise this would not be "financial viable" for the shop keeper as the OP stipulates.