BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Try to solve this puzzle I have been given. I have not been able to find the correct answer yet but would be interested if someone could crack it.

Move only 2 match sticks to new positions to make the equation work.

Rules:

The cross must be considered as multiply.

The final equation must retain the equals sign.

No breaking sticks.

No overlapping sticks.

Stick layout below:-

\/ x \/ = ||

Good luck. It is probably simple but I cannot solve it?

Thanks,

Bob

17 answers to this question

amateur, that doesn't follow the rules. The cross must be multiplication, and you can't cross matchsticks.

This is a little loose, but it works!

\/ x / = |/

What I've done is take one of the sticks away from the second V, and leave it out. Its "new position" is off the page. The remaining slanted matchstick is supposed to be a one. On the right side, I've tilted one stick to make a 5. So 5 times 1 equals 5. Loose, but it works!

In the same vain as sacohen0326

/ x / / = II

Very much the same as the last solution just makes it a different equation. The first matchsticks (first \/) new position is off the page (Trash can), the other (second \/) has had one matchstick flipped...... Still don't think this is the True answer though....

I'd say it's

V x X = L

but that might be a violation of not being able to overlap matchsticks. I'm not sure exactly what that means. It might mean that you can't have a matchstick completely covered by another, which would mean the final number of lines must match the initial, since moving two match sticks to new positions implies that they should still be in the equation.

I need to start writing these posts faster. Spaceball beat me to it. :P

Edited by benjer3

Thanks to everyone who is having a go at this.

Just to clarify, the multiplication sign is not made of matchsticks and you cannot make a cross (10) as no overlapping is required. I am pretty sure removing matches is not an option although this is not mentioned.

Thanks,

Bob.

I just spoke to the person who set the puzzle and was told you can cross the matchsticks but not overlap (eg.stack them on top of each other) - not too clear from the original instructions. So the solution is quite easy.

\/ * X (two matches crossed) = |_

5 times 10 = 50.

Thanks for all of your efforts.

Bob

I just spoke to the person who set the puzzle and was told you can cross the matchsticks but not overlap (eg.stack them on top of each other) - not too clear from the original instructions. So the solution is quite easy.

\/ * X (two matches crossed) = |_

5 times 10 = 50.

Thanks for all of your efforts.

Bob

Hey! that's not fair :mad:

and how can you make a multiplication sign using only two matchsticks

:dry:

I'll not use a spoiler since billythefish did not...

The original layout INCLUDED the multiplication sign. It's fair, Shivam. The second V becomes an X (not as in multiplication but as in roman numeral 10) by moving one side of the V on top of the other side, and the "II" (two) becomes L by moving one of the vertical sticks to the horizontal position at the bottom.

So, "V x V = II" becomes "V x X = L". Two matches moved, no "overlapping" as in "concealing by stacking".

By the way, SPACEBALL got it first! Welcome to Brain Den, Spaceball.

Good puzzle.

Edited by Smith