BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

My botany sir asked us this question:

You know, plants absorb 2% of sunlight. Why do you think they do this (i.e; absorb 2% of sunlight)?

The answer left us speechless.

Honestly its not a great riddle, but I felt like posting it :)

Lets see if you can think like my professor :D

Edited by sana88

19 answers to this question

Land covers 30% of earth's surface. 46% of that is cover by plants. Given that only half of the earth faces the sun, while the other half is in darkness, this leaves approximately 7.5% of area that is plants(on land) and faces the sun to absorb sunlight.

However there is a much larger volume of marine algae that absorbs a lot more sunlight that what the plants on surface absorb so my value of 7.5% is way out of the real value.

In addition they also reflect light(which is what makes any object visible). Only selected wavelengths are absorbed by plants and at a different percentage.

I would like to know what the answer of your teacher was :)

Land covers 30% of earth's surface. 46% of that is cover by plants. Given that only half of the earth faces the sun, while the other half is in darkness, this leaves approximately 7.5% of area that is plants(on land) and faces the sun to absorb sunlight.

However there is a much larger volume of marine algae that absorbs a lot more sunlight that what the plants on surface absorb so my value of 7.5% is way out of the real value.

In addition they also reflect light(which is what makes any object visible). Only selected wavelengths are absorbed by plants and at a different percentage.

I would like to know what the answer of your teacher was :)

um...no!

i loved my teacher's answer! but sorry, this is not the answer iam lookin for

keep trying though :D

It has to do with the light spectrum and the fact that chlorophyll doesn't absorb all of the wavelengths of light equally.

sorry, no, that's not the answer

keep trying though!:D

Edited by sana88

Plants absorb light through their leaves, principaly in the red and blue spectrum. Certainly not light in the same colour spectrum as their leaves. Also for plants to absorb light for photosynthesis there must be carbondioxide and water. Taking all these factors, you have the 2% ???????

Edited by davight

The sun radiates light in all directions, only 2% falls on the earth?

hey!gresleysteve ;)

first I also thought the same thing but later I realized that the whole earth is not covered with plants

our thoughts intersects! :D

The sun radiates light in all directions, only 2% falls on the earth?

If 2% of sunlight produced by the Sun fell on Earth the Earth would be nothing but a hot burning desert. No, I take that back, it would be an inferno. Only approximately 0.000000724654% of sunlight reaches the Earth and I don't believe the question is related to the amount of sunlight reaching the Earth. It's that the 2% of sunlight that hits the plants is absorbed by them, while 98% of it is reflected.