Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lost Time

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Writersblock

Writersblock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:11 PM

Here's one I made up:

Forman leaves the United States in a private jet. He flies 4 hours south non-stop and arrives in a new country. He then leaves once more and flies 4 hours south non-stop and arrives in a third country. He accurately logged his departure and arrival times.

When Forman checks his flight log it says the following:

Depart, 9 am Tuesday
Arrive, 1 pm Wednesday
Depart, 2 pm Wednesday
Arrive, 6 pm Tuesday

How could this be?

Forman leaves from Honolulu, Hawaii and flies south to Kiritimati. He then flies south to Bora Bora. The International dateline is oriented such in this area that crossing south, then south again is equivalent to crossing west, then east again. This also works for any location from Hawaii to the Line Islands to the Society Islands.

#2 Writersblock

Writersblock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:48 PM

To hard or not worth responding to?

#3 Linewalker

Linewalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:09 PM

Not really that good, since you have to have knowledge (that's not common) from outside the puzzle.

#4 propsguy

propsguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:00 PM

I would guess it has something to so with him starting in, say, Hawaii or Alaska, and flying at a precise speed before landing in specific locations. Maybe the earth's rotation affecting his southward bearing?

Or, Maybe it is just too hard.

#5 Writersblock

Writersblock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:36 AM

Not really that good, since you have to have knowledge (that's not common) from outside the puzzle.

Well, it's more of a riddle than a logic problem. Isn't it true of most riddles that you need outside knowledge?

#6 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:25 AM

you pretty much always need the outside knowledge of how to read. lol.

#7 courtneycater

courtneycater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:23 AM

start tuesday 9a just east of the day time crossover longitude. 9a wednesday is an inch from you to the west. Fly north, just slightly northwest for 4 hrs. You'll cross over into wednesday, at a very small angle. Land at 1p wednesday, a mere inch west of 1p tuesday. Wait an hour, then fly toward 6 pm (135 degrees from first trajectory). You are flying south, but fly very slightly east as well, and you'll crossover into Tuesday again. With the rotation of the earth, iyou'll land on a spot that was 5 hours east of your starting point. provided distance covered is the same. 6p wednesday would be a mere inch west of your landing spot.

I can't figure anything out for due north, due south. I'm not sure it's possible. You'd have to cross that longtitude and the only way is by flying slightly laterally.

I can't find any rules here. I didn't really read the TOS. I'm flawed. Am I ruining it by posting what I believe to be answers? If so I'd appreciate if someone slapped me on the hand.

#8 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5565 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:30 AM

My bet is that Forman started out in Alaska ... because

AK is in the US, and it straddles the International Date Line - which itself is not straight. There must be some way that you end up on the other side of it and it's magically yesterday.
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users