Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Happy Pythagorean Triple Day!! Also, Mother's Day.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:08 AM

Yes, I know Mother's Day is the much bigger deal (Happy Mother's Day to all mothers out there! I hope you feel loved and appreciated every day of the year.).

However, today's date is a Pythagorean triple (5/13/12, 52+122=132), so I thought I'd post some math questions regarding Pythagorean triples.

But first, here are some definitions to those who don't know what Pythagorean triples are:

The Pythagorean theorem states that for a right triangle whose sides are of length a, b, and c where c is the longest length (the one opposite the right angle), a2+b2=c2.

If all three of a,b, and c are positive integers, then {a,b,c} is a Pythagorean triple.

Now, in honor of Mother's Day I'll call a Pythagorean triple a mother triple if there is no d greater than 1 such that {a/d, b/d, c/d} is also a Pythagorean triple (equivalently, at least 2 of {a,b,c} are relatively prime). Otherwise, it is a child triple.

Here are the questions:

1. Let the date be of the form xx/yy/zz (ie, two digit year, any can be c (the longest)). What are the next 3 days that are pythagorean triples?

2. How many dates are mother triples given the two digit year? How many total dates are Pythagorean triples?

3. How many total dates are triples given a four digit year?

4. What was the last date that was a pythagorean triple given a four digit year?

#2 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:21 AM

I was rushing out the door when I posted this thread, so here's a quick clarification.

When I say total dates, I meant both mother and child triples included. 'total' should have been replaced with the words 'either mother or child' or 'any type of' in front of 'Pythagorean triple' in both question 2 and 3.

For question 2, I mean per century (ie, ignore wrap around, which would make the answer infinite).

For question 3 and 4, I meant any number of digits for the year, so it never wraps around to 0. For question 4 it makes the answer the last one that will ever happen.

#3 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5918 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:23 AM

Start the ball rolling.

Spoiler for next three

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#4 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5918 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:41 AM

Total PT dates with 2-digit years.

Spoiler for looks like

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#5 lionsbru

lionsbru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:49 AM

The previous answer lists only PRIMITIVE Triples.  Unless I've misread the rules, I see no cause to omit non-primitive triples, in which case we may add:

6/8/10 (6 permutations) 
9/12/15 (4 permutations, 15 can't be the month)
12/16/20 (2 permutations, only 12 can be the month)

This yields an additional 12 for a total of 26.

For what it's worth, if we follow those who limit Pythagorean Triple DATES to those in which only "C" can be the year, the number is reduced to the following 11:
3/4/5,  4/3/5 
6/8/10, 8/6/10, 
5/12/13, 12/5/13
9/12/15, 12/9/15
8/15/17,     12/16/20,   7/24/25

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users