Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:41 PM

An underground pool is located on a hill that's 20 ft. above sea-level. The pool is surrounded by a 5 ft. fence. The bottom of the pool goes no lower than 10 ft. above sea level. The pool's owner notices that the pool could use about 10 more gallons of water. So he stands at the base of the hill holding a hose that goes up the hill, over the fence and into the pool and pours the water into the hose and begins to fill up the pool. After he pours all the water into the hose he drops his end onto the ground and walks away.

What happens and why?

#2 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:48 PM

Spoiler for ...

Edited by Noct, 21 March 2008 - 10:51 PM.

#3 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:53 PM

Noct stop solving my puzzles! j/k You're right except for the reason. There is more to a siphon than gravity. It also accounts for total distance in height and (most importantly) air pressure into account. Gravity alone would not do the trick. Good one though :)

#4 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:57 PM

Noct stop solving my puzzles! j/k You're right except for the reason. There is more to a siphon than gravity. It also accounts for total distance in height and (most importantly) air pressure into account. Gravity alone would not do the trick. Good one though :)

Good to know!

I was never sure of the exact physics of it, but I knew that the water will flow from the higher place to the lower place, even if it has to go up to get there (up to a maximum of 32 feet up)

#5 Talha

Talha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:10 PM

the water from the pool starts to come through the pipe , maybe?

coz the pool's ned is lower than the other end

#6 chanakyavg

chanakyavg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:36 PM

itachi-san: siphon effect is due 2 factors, a. gravity which gives the water in the pool the "head" it needs to store energy(potential energy) and b. the lack of air in the pipe which causes the waer to flow our so easily. This puzzle reminded me of my road trip when my friends ran out of gas and I had to siphon out some gas from my own tank to put some into theirs'.

Edited by chanakyavg, 22 March 2008 - 02:37 PM.

#7 jesusfreak1024

jesusfreak1024

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:34 PM

chanakyavg is right. also the air pressure on the pool pushes the water down and into the lower pressure hose where it will siphon down to the bottom of the hill.

#8 jword

jword

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:42 PM

itachi-san: siphon effect is due 2 factors, a. gravity which gives the water in the pool the "head" it needs to store energy(potential energy) and b. the lack of air in the pipe which causes the waer to flow our so easily. This puzzle reminded me of my road trip when my friends ran out of gas and I had to siphon out some gas from my own tank to put some into theirs'.

My mother was also a tank driver :D

#9 jword

jword

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:52 PM

I agree with noct, unless you have a water source 25 feet above the bottom of the hill no water will go in the pool anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users