Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 storm

storm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:10 AM

In the crime branch of a certain country, The head summoned one of his junior inspectors james it a suspected murder crime scene in the living room of a certain house.

Unfortunately the inspector was very lazy and did not go there at all, instead he got some information from another officer. But when reporting, he said.."I went there at the crime scene, and found a big mess. There was stain of blood all over the floor. Everything in the room was a mess. The table clock is broken and stopped at 3.00pm. The body was lying face up and knife-injury is in the belly. It is clear that the vitim died by over bleeding. Apparently, the victim was reading the novel "old man and the sea", as I found its page 45 and 46 is opened on table. Then I tried to find some fingerprints of the killer but I didn't find any. Then I came back."

The boss said ,"james, you are lying and so fired".

How the boss found out James is lying?

#2 Duh Puck

Duh Puck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:06 AM

Spoiler for solution

#3 Jkyle1980

Jkyle1980

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:23 AM

From his poor grammer, the chief knew that James was not American. And you can't trust immigrants.

#4 mikahila

mikahila

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:35 AM

From his poor grammer, the chief knew that James was not American. And you can't trust immigrants.

... said the boy who failed finishing grammar school!

#5 Aatif

Aatif

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:23 AM

Ummm .. 45 & 46 are two sides of the same page. Hence Inspector was lying.

Though, am not convinced with my own logic .. what if, it was a pirated novel and the story started from the second page, right after dedication. So the usual blank page becomes 1 and so on. In this case, 45 and 46 can be on 2 different pages. Infact, one of the 1 cent novel I bought in Thailand, starts just like that. More so, its full of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors :) ..
Maybe, the man got one such pirated novel. He got frustrated and killed himself! Mystery solved.

#6 brhan

brhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:48 PM

The event had happened before 1952. The inspector was lying because the book "old man and the sea" was not published at the time :P

There are many books where the odd page is on the left and the even page number on the right, though not sure about the book.

#7 GIJeff

GIJeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:00 PM

Spoiler for solution

#8 DrJim

DrJim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:59 PM

page 45 and 46 are back to back not opposite each other so the book could not be opened to those pages. :D

#9 TwoaDay

TwoaDay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:00 AM

yea i knew it was the book

#10 Jkyle1980

Jkyle1980

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:05 AM

... said the boy who failed finishing grammar school!

I said nothing of spelling. lol

"Open foot. Insert mouth."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users