BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

bonanova

Question

A couple turns of the century ago my grandfather homesteaded a few hundred acres of wheat land in NW North Dakota.

Today that land is famous not for its wheat but for its oil, buried in shale, miles under the ND prairies.

This gives rise to a geometry challenge, and this time it's 3-dimensional.

An oil drill [unfortunately not on Grandpa's land] found oil-bearing shale at an underground location that

was determined to be exactly 28,000 feet from one corner of a [rectangular] wheat field, 24,000 feet

from the opposite corner and 36,000 feet from a third corner.

How far is the underground location from the fourth corner of the field?

Note: we're not looking for the location on the surface where the drilling began.

10 answers to this question

So all we are looking for is a tetrahedron with given sides from the oil shale vertex, and with another vertex which is the corner of a square. I am just going out for a lunch date. Of course I am interested in this interesting 3D question, but my date might not be amused!

It seems small, but it's 8000

Attached is a small pdf file that shows the solution. Summarizing, it boils down to setting up a system of sphere equations which are centered at the four corners of the rectangle and solving for the intersection point

Edited by tpaxatb

use the op we make a rectangle weth sides w & h

the spot is x in front of, y to the right of a z below one corner p-thiggy tells us

(1) sqrt(x2+y2+z2)=24,000

(2) sqrt((w-x)2+(h-y)2+z2)=28,000

(3) sqrt((w-x)2+y2+z2)=36,000

(4) sqrt(x2+(h-y)2+z2)=A

square both sides of each equation and subtract (1) from (3) and (4) from (2) from there the answer is easy to find.