BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

In this alphametic, each capital letter represents a different base ten digit from 0 to 9, where each of W and T is nonzero.

WE + TO + WEE + WORD = THINK

Determine the value of D such that the above equation has precisely one solution.

Edited by K Sengupta

3 answers to this question

In this alphametic, each capital letter represents a different base ten digit from 0 to 9, where each of W and T is nonzero.

WE + TO + WEE + WORD = THINK

Determine the value of D such that the above equation has precisely one solution.

Hi there. This is my first time visiting this site and I enjoyed solving this puzzle. A bit of a brain-warp for the first few minutes, but definitely enjoyable. Thanks!

I post my solution here for verification. Please do not read if you wish to solve for yourself! :)

D=8 (H=0,T=1,O=2,I=3,K=4,N=5,R=6,E=7,D=8,W=9)

D=8

W has to be 9 because is the only way you can achieve a 5 digit result

T has to be one because no matter what numbers you put on the left, you can only get a 10 thousand number so H = 0 also

So far we have:

9E + 1O + 9EE + 9ORD = 10INK

Then logic told me that 2nd digit of WORD should not be big (because of the 9 hundred number) so I tried 2 and E=8 but could not find the answer so I figure E=7

97 + 12 + 977 + 92RD = 10INK

Then the easy part. There is only 3,4,5,6 and 8 left. Found a combination that as a result gave me the number 10354 using 68

So:

97 + 12 + 977 + 926"8" = 10354

Don't know if it's the only solution but it is one at least :P

On the other hand I was mixing logic with trial and error (not the best way to solve one of this I guess but it worked for me

There is another solution using the value for D given above but there is a unique solution for a different value of D

This was a brute force solution - I followed similar logic as above to narrow down the possible combinations to 7!/2 or 2520 and then wrote a short program to test all of the possible combinations. Don't know if there is a more elegant solution.

W = 9 9 9

T = 1 1 1

H = 0 0 0

O = 2 4 3

I = 3 5 4

D = 8 8 2

E = 7 7 6

R = 6 3 8

N = 5 2 5

K = 4 6 7

D=2 has a single solution